Old 12 July 2021, 07:28   #1

Town: Strasbourg
Boat name: Sīga
Make: Honda T38 IE3
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury MH20
Review on T38 IE3 with Merc 20hp

Hey all,

Just a small review after using my Honwave T38 IE3 for a bit.
Outboard: Mercury MH 20 EFI default 10p prop

Speed:
1 person ~20 knots, hard to calm down the boat when it starts to jump even in calm waters.

2-3 persons: ~18 knots max, cruise around 17 (little bit back from full throttle)

4-5 persons ~16 knots
6 persons, cannot get on plane with a 10 p prop, will try to get 9pitch pro to test.

Handling:

Quite good, If you are alone, you have to be on the rear position seat in the middle, otherwise hard jumping begins.
Handling the boat on the dry is quite convenient, I can take it out and put in with wheels by myself easily (have done it even several times a day)

Trimming:
I trimmed it almost fully down, no big difference in speed, however more jumpy in other positions. Also trimmed down better at turns

Comfort:

Quite ok, did several long trips - 6h back and forth, 80nm distance. Was quite comfy for a small boat.
The floor moves and bounces on the waves and with speed change, so you have to get used to it.

Problems:
The seat broke in the heavy seas, seemed quite heavy and at a 2x weight of a wooden plank, should have been sturdier, still waiting for a Honda's answer on a replacement (claimed under the warranty)

Heavy seas:

Quite ok for a small boat, jumping with a venting prop is a bit scary, however it handles ok. Be careful getting on plane with a strong headwind in waves, seemed does not need much to be overthrown back

Other:
Invented a new and fun sports with a small boat, even with a heavy person you can do some king of sup surfing (I am using an old Aqua Marina Monster inflatable stand up paddle): https://youtu.be/i8_fIpgVVYo
It's super cool that you can do watersports without having 150hp+ engine

Transporting:

I have a trailer hook 4 bike rack on my Citroen C4 Picasso, quite convenient but seems that rear of the car is slightly overloaded with a boat overhang and an outboard in the trunk. However managed to do 4000 km from France to Latvia and back like that.
Old 12 July 2021, 08:59   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hello and welcome to the forum, great first post.

The T38 has long been a great value SIB and an obvious choice on the shortlist of any sibber wanting an air floor around that length. Now much improved with the removal of the rear floor trim tabs so normal transom wheels can be used.

The seat breakage is very poor though. Can you see how thick its timber core is?