Old 30 August 2017, 15:57   #1

Town: Ash
Make: Honwave 3.2 V
Length: 3m +
Engine: 3.5HP Mariner
Restricted Access

Look before you leap...

We have just ordered a Honwave 3.2 V floor with a 3.5HP Mariner OB for use on our local inland waterways. I Guess I should have checked first as I have just found out that the National Trust does not permit SIB's or RIB's on the river Wey which is local to me. The Basingstoke Canal has permitted their use but no locks, portage only.

Is this the general consensus around inland waterways because if so, we wont be enjoying ourselves as much as we had hoped. We travel around the country in our folding camper and had hoped to take the SIB with us to enjoy. Oh well, I guess you live and learn.
Old 30 August 2017, 16:28   #2

Town: Derby
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: no boat
Unfortunately it is far easier to use tidal waters than inland waters for any sort of powerboating in the UK. But it is possible to use the canals and rivers other powered crafts (like narrow boats) use with the right licences. https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy...sing-your-boat
Old 30 August 2017, 16:43   #3

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
You only live once....Live dangerously!
Old 30 August 2017, 19:26   #4

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Most inland waterways have speed limits, and some individual areas may have by laws, but on the whole,you can take a RIB or a SIB on any waterway that you could take a cruiser or narrowboat on, and many waters that you could take a kayak or canoe on. Of course you need to pay a licence fee to the relevant body and may need to pay a launch fee. I have had many enjoyable trips in various SIBs on the Trent, Ouse, Nene, Soar and various sections of canal.
Old 31 August 2017, 05:01   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazz0322 View Post
Is this the general consensus around inland waterways because if so, we wont be enjoying ourselves as much as we had hoped. We travel around the country in our folding camper and had hoped to take the SIB with us to enjoy. Oh well, I guess you live and learn.
You've managed to pick two of the most restricted waterways as your starting point. You should find that things improve from here!
Old 31 August 2017, 07:22   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As JK says you are unlucky in your immediate area. Should you be in the Cambridge area on holiday an £8-50 7-day visitor licence would give you permission for the whole of the waterways on the attached link.... both yellow and red routes as shown.

Fox Narrowboats | Places to visit whist boating in East of England UK
Old 31 August 2017, 17:26   #7

Thank you for the renewed faith in the use of our new SIB. I just had an email from the CanalRiverTrust who manage a lot of the waterways within reach and they have no such restrictions. Their licence seems a little steep but if we are holidaying in the area I dont mind spending £24 for a weeks unlimited use.

I guess I'm just keen to take possession of our new toy and get out on the water and use it

It should be ready for picking up in about a week, so just trying to get the best quote for insurance at the moment.

Thank you all
Old 31 August 2017, 20:13   #8

Town: Fleet
Boat name: -
Make: Narwhal
Length: under 3m
Engine: Petrol Outboard 4HP
Gazz0322- I used mine in the canal today for the first time (I'm near you, in Fleet). I wouldn't recommend the Basingstoke Canal, particularly near you in Ash, with an outboard as there is a huge amount of weeds that can cause a lot of issues. We decided to row it in the end and it was good fun! And the license is much cheaper too!
Old 31 August 2017, 20:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
Gazz0322- I used mine in the canal today for the first time (I'm near you, in Fleet). I wouldn't recommend the Basingstoke Canal, particularly near you in Ash, with an outboard as there is a huge amount of weeds that can cause a lot of issues. We decided to row it in the end and it was good fun! And the license is much cheaper too!
I had thought about that but I kinda thought if other powered craft can get along every day without having to lift their motor to clear it so could I... but as a complete novice I am very happy to take advice.
Old 31 August 2017, 21:20   #10

Town: Fleet
Boat name: -
Make: Narwhal
Length: under 3m
Engine: Petrol Outboard 4HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazz0322 View Post
I had thought about that but I kinda thought if other powered craft can get along every day without having to lift their motor to clear it so could I... but as a complete novice I am very happy to take advice.
I forgot to mention - I used to have a 11ft 'Speed Boat' (with only a 4hp engine lol) whilst I was still at school, a few years ago, and the reason they didn't allow us through the lock is because it was too light and could easily get flipped, so I imagine it's the same reason we can't use them in SIBs.

We used to have to clear the weeds in that engine and went through a couple of sheer pins too from hitting logs that were under water. It's lovely though as its very under used so it's good to get the experience without having to navigate lots of other boats, worry about tides, weirs or flows.

Jared
Old 31 August 2017, 23:29   #11

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I have taken SIBs and kayaks through canal locks many times - sometimes with the SIB solo and sometimes following cruisers through. Never known it to be a problem either at a self-operated lock or an attended one. I have also seen open Canadian canoes go through locks. Common sense, use ropes and wear a buoyancy aid.
Old 05 September 2017, 21:07   #12

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
In a previous life I lived on a narrowboat and took it all over the country. The basingstoke easily the shallowest canal I've navigated, ran into problems with only an 18inch draught on the boat. Very heavily weeded and would not be fun with an outboard.