Old 06 June 2016, 15:54   #1

Town: Vancouver, WA
Make: Zodiac FC470
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Yamaha
Replacing F470 Overpressure Valve

I noticed yesterday that I was starting to lose air in the rear segment, some quick investigating with a spray bottle and soap solution confirms that I've got a leak at the rubber gasket underneath my overpressure valve. It looks like this is a Halkey Roberts style valve and the user manual shows that this might just unscrew and easily be replaced with a new valve and gasket.

However, the manual shows a hex nut on the front of the valve and mine is round with only a few tiny tabs that the red cover caps screw onto. The manual shows part number 3862 for a replacement and I think I've found one on ebay, but I'm not 100% sure if I've got the right part. I also am not sure what the best way to get the valve in and out is. I'm assuming there's some sort of tool but my searching turned up a lot of different tools that seem to be designed for other variations of the HR valve.

Anyone done this job before, and any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 12 June 2016, 14:36   #2

Town: Vancouver, WA
Make: Zodiac FC470
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Yamaha
So after a lot of searching I was able to locate the correct tool for removing this style of Halkey Roberts valves. I bought it from Hyside rafts for $5 shipped, purhcased here:

https://hyside.com/product/halkey-ro...-removal-tool/

Looks like this:

Pulled out the old valve, there was a rubber gasket that was a bit deformed and wouldn't seat up against the body of the boat. Ordered a replacement valve, part number 3862 and the new valve also had difficulty seating the rubber gasket against the body of the boat, they didn't line up right. I had to use the flat plastic gasket washer (top left) to seal up against the body of the boat then the gasket could seal against the valve (ridges on the gasket facing outwards). Worked perfectly.

I'm back in business and back on the water!