Old 17 November 2020, 09:14   #1

Town: Exmouth
Length: under 3m
Repair advice

Hi, just picked up a little boat with a small leak but it appears to be leaking from under the end of a rubbing strake, about 5mm from the end of the strake is a ridge from another seam. What would be the best way to repair this? would filling the slight gap with sika be any good or does the strake have to come off?
From fully inflated it takes about an hour to go soft enough that you couldn't use it. you can only hear and see the leak when soapy water is applied.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-11-1711.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	135636  
Old 17 November 2020, 11:48   #2

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyExmouth View Post
Hi, just picked up a little boat with a small leak but it appears to be leaking from under the end of a rubbing strake, about 5mm from the end of the strake is a ridge from another seam. What would be the best way to repair this? would filling the slight gap with sika be any good or does the strake have to come off?
From fully inflated it takes about an hour to go soft enough that you couldn't use it. you can only hear and see the leak when soapy water is applied.
If its a small boat (lift able by 1-2 people) and a small leak you can buy a latex based internal sealer. Squirt it in through the inflator valve, inflate, and then lift/rotate the boat so that the liquid is forced into the leak.
Old 17 November 2020, 11:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
If its a small boat (lift able by 1-2 people) and a small leak you can buy a latex based internal sealer. Squirt it in through the inflator valve, inflate, and then lift/rotate the boat so that the liquid is forced into the leak.
Ah, didn't think of that. Same stuff I use in my tubeless bike tires no doubt.

yeah, its a very small pinhole. you'd never find it without soapy water bubbles.
Old 23 November 2020, 08:22   #4

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I once did an emergency repair with clear silicon bathroom sealant and it worked so well I left it. The boat was pumped up and I noticed a slight leak. I smeared some silicone sealant on it, pushed it through with my finger tip, pumped the boat up hard, and waited a few minutes. It made a plug seal that worked for the lifetime of the boat.
Old 23 November 2020, 08:52   #5

Well, as a test I ended up pouring some tubeless tire sealant into another problematic boat I've got. a leaky high pressure airdeck on my old zodiac. used some stans sealant and worked a treat, held pressure since last Wednesday. gonna give that a go in the newer boat now. it's certainly satisfying watching the liquid start to leak out under pressure and then stop as it seals. As my bike tires run at between 20-35psi I'm guessing it'll hold up under the 11psi in the airdeck and the 3ish in the tubes.

Tags
repair