Old 17 August 2021, 07:37   #1

Town: Ireland
Length: 3m +
Regulations on Irish Lakes

Trying to make a decision on my first SIB and outboard size so doing some research.

A friend of mine said he believes there is a restriction on Irish lakes of max of 5HP motors and also a boat license and local lake permit is required but I cannot see anything definitive online.

Anyone who has any experience boating in Irish lakes around Cavan (or whole of Ireland) able to share any advice on this?

Cheers guys
Old 17 August 2021, 08:37   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
https://www.iwai.ie/boat-on-the-water/

It's a hodge-podge - depends where you want to go.

IMO, if you're planning on lake use - the big engines are kinda wasted as you will run out of lake very quickly!!
Old 17 August 2021, 08:53   #3

Town: Ireland
Thanks, I would mostly be using the SIB on the sea around the east coast (Louth to Wexford) but would also like the option to bring it to lakes around Cavan such as Lough Ramor and Lene for example so I dont want to buy a 15HP or 20HP motor if its not permitted on these lakes. I dont plan to be speeding around when on the lakes more just cruising about and dropping a fishing line.

If the larger HP motors are not permitted on the lakes, I would have to consider a smaller SIB like a 3.2 or 3.3 with a 5-8HP motor as use on lakes would be something I want to do as I have a few lakes in Cavan within a 45 min drive and they would typically (no always) be calmer waters for bringing out the family (however I know the smaller boat would be a tighter fit)
Old 17 August 2021, 09:12   #4
RIBnet Supporter

If the lakes in question are used for public water supply, then no engines will be permitted.

Lakes are a little deceptive - you stand on the shore and gaze over the vast expanse of water. Once the boat gets underway, microseconds are what you have before you arrive at the opposite side. They're tiny, even the big ones. Lift one of those Cavan lakes and drop it into your favourite marine bay - bet it fits!
Old 17 August 2021, 12:47   #5

Town: Howth
Make: Avon
Or just go for the bigger lakes like Lough Ree, Derg etc. where exploring the lakes takes weeks rather than hours and you can also do the river sections. Shannon Navigation is great for all this - attractions to stop at and visit, pubs and restaurants, places to stay / camp etc.

Not sure how SIB's would fare in the bigger locks but they're manned be WI staff so i'd imagine they could accommodate. There were plenty of SIB's with reasonable sized engines knocking about a couple of weeks back while I was there.
Old 17 August 2021, 15:01   #6

Town: London
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mercury 15
Lough Erne regulation is that anything over 10hp is supposed to be registered, however you would rarely bump into the warden.