Old 13 March 2015, 19:44   #1

Length: 10m +
Registration Number Application

I know this must of been discussed many times before so I must be using the wrong search words because I didn't find what I was looking for. Even the internet was all over the place in response to the application. "Registration Numbers" turned up quite a variety of threads.

Trying to figure out what everyone has done for applying their registration numbers to their SIBs. I thought I had read that some were using a sharpie and a stencil which is fine by me. I don't mind if I have to go over it every year due to fading either. It will be inflated/deflated several times over the year and I'm not a fan of having the numbers on a plate tied to the boat.

Also, how well do the state stickers stay attached? Should I apply them directly to the boat or on a different material first?

Thanks!
Old 15 March 2015, 03:18   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Sharpie works OK. You need to read what your state mandates. In California, it's legal (or at least used to be) to have the numbers on a plate that was permanently attached to a grab line (that made it easy.)

I've found reg stickers don't like to stay on hypalon - probably due to the slight fabric stretch. Don't know about PVC. For hypalon, the solution is to use one of the plastic mounting squares.
Inflatable Boat Registration Pockets

jky
Old 16 March 2015, 13:55   #3

Length: 10m +
Thanks. I think we are going to go the sharpie route the next time we get it out. According to our state, it only needs to be in contrasting colors and per their size and spacing requirements.

The state sticker pocket is neat but they sure are proud of it. Our sticker is only good for 2 years so I'm hoping it just lasts that long.
Old 16 March 2015, 14:15   #4

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post
I know this must of been discussed many times before so I must be using the wrong search words because I didn't find what I was looking for. Even the internet was all over the place in response to the application. "Registration Numbers" turned up quite a variety of threads.

Trying to figure out what everyone has done for applying their registration numbers to their SIBs. I thought I had read that some were using a sharpie and a stencil which is fine by me. I don't mind if I have to go over it every year due to fading either. It will be inflated/deflated several times over the year and I'm not a fan of having the numbers on a plate tied to the boat.

Also, how well do the state stickers stay attached? Should I apply them directly to the boat or on a different material first?

Thanks!
Boat Number Registration Plate for Inflatable Boats

Boat number plates made of the same material as the boat, then glued on professionally. 10 year warranty against fading.

I did mine as silver reflective lettering w/ black background... they look pretty sweet on my FC470!
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2015, 15:16   #5

Those plates Office mentioned are not (as far as I know) hypalon or PVC, but are designed to be glued on. They are some sort of hard plastic, but I'm not sure which type. Some friends have these on their hypalon boat, seems to hold up well.

Another option is to have the characters die or laser cut and inlaid in a surrounding frame. Looks good but fairly pricey.

As to the stickers, clean the surface with solvent (acetone should work) with a quick wipe, then give the adhesive on the sticker a quick wipe with acetone on a clean [mostly] lintfree material (paper towel or a clean old t-shirt.) Helps the adhesive grab. Going lightly over the edges with something like Gorilla super glue should help prevent edge peeling (which will ultimately result in the whole thing coming off.)

jky
Old 16 March 2015, 16:16   #6

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Those plates Office mentioned are not (as far as I know) hypalon or PVC, but are designed to be glued on. They are some sort of hard plastic, but I'm not sure which type. Some friends have these on their hypalon boat, seems to hold up well.

Another option is to have the characters die or laser cut and inlaid in a surrounding frame. Looks good but fairly pricey.

As to the stickers, clean the surface with solvent (acetone should work) with a quick wipe, then give the adhesive on the sticker a quick wipe with acetone on a clean [mostly] lintfree material (paper towel or a clean old t-shirt.) Helps the adhesive grab. Going lightly over the edges with something like Gorilla super glue should help prevent edge peeling (which will ultimately result in the whole thing coming off.)

jky
The newest generation as of late 2014 are PVC. Your registration is silkscreened directly on. There is a small piece of vinyl where the sticker goes to promote adhesion.

For hypalon, they simply sew a piece of hypalon on to the back..it makes it kinda thick, but it will flex okay if you fold the boat correctly.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2015, 15:00   #7

Thanks for the info, Office.

I have the die cut hypalon jobs that the builder had done.

jky