Old 25 September 2022, 22:02   #1

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Rednecks Holy Island Adventure - Pt 3 - Rhossniger to Treaddur

Thought I'd better finish off my summer visit videos of Holly Island before autumn sets in.

Hope you enjoy the video.

Old 26 September 2022, 09:32   #2

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
great video Steve, you picked a good day for that trip some tricky reefs around Rhosniger lurking just below the surface
Old 26 September 2022, 11:47   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
nice to see Steve.
Old 26 September 2022, 19:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
great video Steve, you picked a good day for that trip some tricky reefs around Rhosniger lurking just below the surface
Thanks Chris.
I'm really pleased that the week we spent on Holy Island was mostly at low tide. It gives me a much better understanding when we visit next time and it's mid/high tide. It's all well and good having a chartplotter and depth sounder, but some of those rocks were like thin spires sticking up in 10 mtrs of surrounding water which a depth sounder would never pick up until its too late.
Old 26 September 2022, 19:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
nice to see Steve.
Thanks Brian, you may have noticed no narration this time. Thought my mic was broken, bought a new one and that didn't work either! Turns out it's my laptop.
Old 27 September 2022, 08:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Thanks Chris.
I'm really pleased that the week we spent on Holy Island was mostly at low tide. It gives me a much better understanding when we visit next time and it's mid/high tide. It's all well and good having a chartplotter and depth sounder, but some of those rocks were like thin spires sticking up in 10 mtrs of surrounding water which a depth sounder would never pick up until its too late.
yes, I had a lucky escape off Rhosniger a few years back, just happened to look over the side of the rib and was horrified to see one of those rock spires right next to the boat, edged away very carefully, and as you say by the time it pops up on the plotter it’s too late, especially when the transducer is 20ft away from the bow
Old 27 September 2022, 09:40   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Always great to see your videos Steve. In truth your "sibbers on holiday meandering about with the dog" style is very much akin to our level of enjoyment... always like to have a destination where someone will make our lunch!

We are having to accept defeat with no outings at all in 2022 after a very difficult year. I'm going to service/winterise the outboard soon and inflate/check the Aerotec which hasn't been out of its bag yet this season... to make sure there was no mouse damage from last winter so know I'm putting it away in good order.

It's a case of next year Rodney....
Old 27 September 2022, 10:13   #8

Pleased you enjoy seeing the videos David.

It's such a shame you've not been able to get out and about on the water this year.

We've had some very good trips, and have mostly been fortunate with the weather. Had to cancel going to Oban because of problems getting parts for the truck. It would have been good to have met The Gurnard and do some sibbing on his home turf, but as you say.......... "next year Rodney"

I have a couple of outings on Ulleswater planned for October to set up a new to me Merc 20hp efi I got last month, before I pack things away for the winter. It will be interesting to make the comparison between the 15hp and 20hp on exactly the same setup.

Are the ribs feeling any better?
Old 27 September 2022, 12:51   #9

i count myself very fortunate to be able to get afloat, i was lucky to have a few bouts of surgery in the winter months so by the time the weather had improved i was well enough to get back out on the water, apart from the last op which did keep me on dry land for a few months till i was semi fit enough to pull the anchor back up hope your fit and well enough for next year Fenlander
Old 27 September 2022, 19:15   #10

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ribs on the mend now thanks but having broken the same or adj rib before it's taken time and I overdid it with trying to move our winter solid fuel supply some weeks ago which set me back. But as I always say with sibbing... at least I don't have a 26ft sailing boat on a mooring down at the coast to worry about through the winter weather.

Re Treaddur bay Mrs F spent a week in a hotel there for work a while back and "annoyed" me with a video of the bay and its boating activities every day. She said we should put it on the list for one day.
Old 27 September 2022, 19:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Re Treaddur bay Mrs F spent a week in a hotel there for work a while back and "annoyed" me with a video of the bay and its boating activities every day. She said we should put it on the list for one day.
Bet you've quite an extensive list, I know mine is getting bigger.
Old 28 September 2022, 15:24   #12

I’ve never launched from Treaddur Bay but plenty of boats do so it must be fairly straightforward, nice bay to explore and there’s opportunity to venture further afield, on a good day The Skerries is a great destination
Old 28 September 2022, 15:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
I’ve never launched from Treaddur Bay but plenty of boats do so it must be fairly straightforward, nice bay to explore and there’s opportunity to venture further afield, on a good day The Skerries is a great destination
Treaddur is great to launch from. Good slip, hard sand to drive on at all states of tide, well marked past the few rock outcrops, toilets a bit of a walk away, and a few decent bars.
Not cheap if any warden is there to collect fees anything over 10hp is charged £20, and parking with a trailer is £20 on official car parks, but there is plenty of on street parking mid week and out of season.

If you are a blow and go sibber (not trailering), I'd use Rhoscolyn, again hard sand to drive on, decent'ish parking, really sheltered bay, toilets and a good pub up the road. Nobody was ever there to collect launch fees. I personally wouldn't take a trailer down the lane to the beach, its extremely narrow, tight bends and no passing places.
Old 29 September 2022, 08:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Treaddur is great to launch from. Good slip, hard sand to drive on at all states of tide, well marked past the few rock outcrops, toilets a bit of a walk away, and a few decent bars.
Not cheap if any warden is there to collect fees anything over 10hp is charged £20, and parking with a trailer is £20 on official car parks, but there is plenty of on street parking mid week and out of season.

If you are a blow and go sibber (not trailering), I'd use Rhoscolyn, again hard sand to drive on, decent'ish parking, really sheltered bay, toilets and a good pub up the road. Nobody was ever there to collect launch fees. I personally wouldn't take a trailer down the lane to the beach, its extremely narrow, tight bends and no passing places.
good to know Steve