Click Here to Login

Old 07 January 2022, 09:22   #1

Town: Hull
Boat name: TED
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu 18hp
recomendations for caravan and SIB in Scotland

Hi, Has any person any experience or can recommend a place to stay ? possibly 2 or 3 days on a lock in the SIB and the rest will be sight seeing.
Old 07 January 2022, 10:56   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I'm not a caravanner, but there's loads of choice... I think perhaps you need to clarify:

- Sea loch or Inland loch?
- What counts as site seeing for you?
- Is there anyone else you are trying to entertain - and do they need facilities (like shops, swimming pools, pubs etc)?
- How far from Hull do you want to drive?
- What sort of facilities do you look for in a caravan site?
Old 07 January 2022, 11:33   #3

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Yip loch awe would be the place to go near oban your in the gurnard country then plenty of castles/hills and good old fashioned whiskey to warm the inner core
Old 07 January 2022, 18:18   #4

Town: Hull
Boat name: TED
Make: honwave
Engine: tohatsu 18hp
requirments

inland Lock, if there is a site with a pub and entertainment that would be fab, its me the wife and two 16yr olds, just above Glasgow or Edinburgh. I understand first time up there will be a bit of a suck it and see.
Old 07 January 2022, 19:14   #5

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
As Poly has suggested, a bit more info would help, but here are a few suggestions:-

Bunree Caravan Club Site at Onich Nr Fort William. Not launched a SIB here, but I have kayaked and it would be easy to launch a SIB. Loads of places for site seeing, hill walking & climbing.

Morvick Caravan Club Site Nr Kyle. Stayed here last year and had a fantastic time. Can't launch from the site, but there are loads of places to launch from nearby. Again loads of places for site seeing, hill walking & climbing.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/rednec...ton-86134.html

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/rednec...ong-86146.html

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/rednec...ain-86187.html

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/glenel...urn-86218.html

Booked Highfield caravan site Nr Oban for Sept, not stayed there before but after searching on the forum, it comes highly recommended.

Hope it helps
Old 07 January 2022, 19:22   #6

Just seen your post #4

Good site at Loch Lomond, Milarrochy Bay Camping & Caravan Club Site.
Pub within walking distance, site seeing a bit of a drive away.

Good luck keeping your 16 year old entertained
Old 07 January 2022, 20:00   #7

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9084.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	139561
Old 07 January 2022, 21:30   #8

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Just seen your post #4

Good site at Loch Lomond, Milarrochy Bay Camping & Caravan Club Site.

Pub within walking distance, site seeing a bit of a drive away.

Good luck keeping your 16 year old entertained
This side of loch lomond would be my choice too but not loads of life up this side, more life in Balloch at the head of the loch and a caravan site too but never stayed there. I'd avoid the site at luss unless things have changed. Last time we went there they were a pain, wouldnt allow boat launching from the site & complained about parking next to your van[emoji2369] we were so impressed we stayed one night & left & went up to Ardlui at the north of the loch which was much better but not much in the way of entertainment for 16 year olds but to be honest not much anywhere around loch lomond for 16 year olds

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 08 January 2022, 07:00   #9

I may be confused.
I'm pretty sure around aged 16 I went camping at Lomond. To do you know... Outdoors stuff...
I'm not entirely clear who removed the outdoors or prohibited 16 year olds from using them?
Old 08 January 2022, 07:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I may be confused.
I'm pretty sure around aged 16 I went camping at Lomond. To do you know... Outdoors stuff...
I'm not entirely clear who removed the outdoors or prohibited 16 year olds from using them?
He asks for pub & entertainment which sounds like hes looking for somewhere where they can hang out. I got the impression he was looking for somewhere with coastal town type facilities. I agree we used to love camping next to water when we were kids & could occupy ourselves all day but I didnt get the impression thats the kind of entertainment he meant for them. A huge difference between loch lomond or Haggerston Castle & Craig Tara type places both do caravan holidays next to water but a world away from loch lomond. Maybe some clarification on what the kids are into would help.

Old 08 January 2022, 08:27   #11

as Ken said
Old 08 January 2022, 12:54   #12

I've not been to Haggerston so I can't really comment. But I will anyways!!

A pub onsite is irrelevant. A pub nearby makes sense. But beyond food it's not really a source of entertainment for a 16 year old - is it? (I know it might have been when we were younger... But we've moved on from the days of fake ID and all that ..)

I have no idea what Haggerston has for a 16 year old that Loch Lomond doesn't have? For younger kids there are kids club type activities - but I'm 99% certain a 16 year old will tell you where to go for that sort of stuff. And evening cabaret type entertainment (may be showing my age and last time I went to a venue like this!) Isn't what I'd expect a 16 year old to want.

I'd expect (prejudices coming through here of course) - technology (Games consoles, WiFi, streaming etc) so really you are bringing tech with you and looking for a site with WiFi? Or physical activities. Or shops. Lomond Shores may help with some of that?
Old 08 January 2022, 13:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I've not been to Haggerston so I can't really comment. But I will anyways!!

A pub onsite is irrelevant. A pub nearby makes sense. But beyond food it's not really a source of entertainment for a 16 year old - is it? (I know it might have been when we were younger... But we've moved on from the days of fake ID and all that ..)

I have no idea what Haggerston has for a 16 year old that Loch Lomond doesn't have? For younger kids there are kids club type activities - but I'm 99% certain a 16 year old will tell you where to go for that sort of stuff. And evening cabaret type entertainment (may be showing my age and last time I went to a venue like this!) Isn't what I'd expect a 16 year old to want.

I'd expect (prejudices coming through here of course) - technology (Games consoles, WiFi, streaming etc) so really you are bringing tech with you and looking for a site with WiFi? Or physical activities. Or shops. Lomond Shores may help with some of that?

If you honestly think the world has moved on since the days of fake ID's you need to get out more! My sons bar in Manchester turns away at least 20% of people trying to get in every weekend with fake ID's.

But that aside Ken and myself have an opinion which differs from yours. Everyone is entailed to their own opinion based upon their own experiences. 3 children, 5 nieces and 6 nephews who in the main when they were teenagers, hated the outdoors and fresh air. That's my experience, obviously yours is different.

I do have a question though - Lomond shore shops, where might they be?
Old 08 January 2022, 15:54   #14
RIBnet admin team

Steve - Lomond shore shops are at Balloch
Old 08 January 2022, 16:06   #15

Thanks Poly. I've only ever driven though Balloch.
Old 08 January 2022, 16:09   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf View Post
inland Lock, if there is a site with a pub and entertainment that would be fab, its me the wife and two 16yr olds, just above Glasgow or Edinburgh. I understand first time up there will be a bit of a suck it and see.

With that spec you really only have Loch Lomond. Depending how far “just above” goes you could look at Loch Tay or Loch Earn. Anywhere else is likely too far, too small and or too hard to get permission to launch a powerboat. All three of those have caravan parks, and you should be able to find facilities like a pub nearby - possibly with WiFi or 4g to keep the kids entertained!

An alternative that is worth at least a moments thought is Loch Ken. No experience of camping / vanning there but probably enough boating for 2 days at a slow pace, closer to home for you.

Ken and Lomond will require permits/number plates (work that out in advance or you’ll waste a day of holiday driving to the right place etc!). IIRC Earn and Tay will let you launch without such things - but the slipway may need insurance.
Old 08 January 2022, 22:16   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
My sons bar in Manchester turns away at least 20% of people trying to get in every weekend with fake ID's.
Aye, but 25 years ago, the 20% got in with their fake IDs!

Quote:
But that aside Ken and myself have an opinion which differs from yours. Everyone is entailed to their own opinion based upon their own experiences. 3 children, 5 nieces and 6 nephews who in the main when they were teenagers, hated the outdoors and fresh air. That's my experience, obviously yours is different.
Well - it's not that I think there aren't teenagers who hate the outdoors. I know there are plenty. But I have a son who can quite happily sit on YouTube/Switch/Minecraft/whatever-else all day, saying he will go out shortly... And at 5pm suddenly ask how it got dark and why we haven't done anything...

... however, when he is actually out you'd never know he had ever seen a computer. But I remember teenagers in my childhood who thought getting dirty or slightly cold was torture.

BUT...

I don't know if I hated the outdoors that being dragged to a caravan in Scotland even with a pub and some nearby entertainment would make me have fond memories of holidays in years to come. Any more than me being sent to a sweltering hot beach holiday in Toramelenos would have made me fond of family holidays!

I guess that boils down to what entertainment means doesn't it. For me I could entertain my child with watersports, walking, cycling, rock climbing, and if in doubt chuck in some activities at Lomond Shores like the high ropes, crazy golf, aquarium, bird of prey centre. But they are all outdoors.

I know people who wouldn't eat in a independent rural pub and would rather go to nandos... Each to their own
Old 08 January 2022, 23:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
With that spec you really only have Loch Lomond. Depending how far “just above” goes you could look at Loch Tay or Loch Earn. Anywhere else is likely too far, too small and or too hard to get permission to launch a powerboat. All three of those have caravan parks, and you should be able to find facilities like a pub nearby - possibly with WiFi or 4g to keep the kids entertained!

An alternative that is worth at least a moments thought is Loch Ken. No experience of camping / vanning there but probably enough boating for 2 days at a slow pace, closer to home for you.

Ken and Lomond will require permits/number plates (work that out in advance or you’ll waste a day of holiday driving to the right place etc!). IIRC Earn and Tay will let you launch without such things - but the slipway may need insurance.
To be fair we've not been to lomond for a long time, too many restrictions since it got national park status, loch tay is probably 30 miles further for the op & well worth the extra distance imho, no registration, no wardens no restrictions about landing & far less people to share the loch with a win win everytime for us. The site at kenmore used to take tourers but not sure now, last time we were there we rented a cottage at lock tay highland lodges at the Killin end of the loch

Old 09 January 2022, 08:59   #19

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
loch ken is a lot closer and good access to the water from the caravan site which i can tell you is a superb site if your family are into outdoor activity's you cant go far wrong .you will have to register your boat at the ranger station at the water ski club up the road if your under 5hp i think no insurance to show but if its a bigger outboard you will need proof of insurance you will need number boards to display the numbers he gives you you are registering for a year.the area is a dark sky area and there is also the Galloway Forrest trails and kite feeding stations .so if your 16 year olds are into hill walking , kayaking ,cycling ect its a very good place
Old 10 January 2022, 11:06   #20

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Loch Lomond Holiday Park has great facilities, beach launching, worth a look, no pub on site but only a few minutes drive to The Ardlui Hotel, top end of the Loch is quieter and the scenery is better

https://argyllholidays.com/parks/loc...d-holiday-park

Tags
sib