Old 20 August 2010, 21:04   #1

Length: no boat
Real close to buying a futura

Thanks for all the help in my other thread, this forum really is great. I am about to go through with the purchase of the zodiac futura mark III HD with 60hp yamaha upgraded console and seating.

Does anyone have any advice or tips regarding this model? How about any regrets if you bought the futura, where or are you happy with the purchase?

I just need that final shove over the edge to do it....Thanks. Greg

Are there any options or accessories that are must haves?
Old 21 August 2010, 04:03   #2

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
Check your other thread. Buy it!
Old 21 August 2010, 16:16   #3

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
I'm not sure what you get with a new boat (new boat, hmmmmm). But there are a few OEM items I wouldn't do without. The zodiac inflation guage. It's compact and relatively indestructible. Managing your tube pressure is important. I also have a zodiac bow bag. You could go with something from another manufacturer, but the bow bag is really handy and gets used a lot.

I really like the adjustable bench system, but eventually went with a fixed mount (no more play in the mounts when underway and no more wear at the friction points). That issue depends on your use or abuse.

I don't have the zodiac tie down sliders for my aluminum floor. I made my own with a ss steel d ring so I can easily lash down everything with straps that wouldn't easily work with the OEM track tie downs (there is only a small open eye on the zodiac slider stop). Either way, the track system on the aluminum floor is so cool and efficient you will want to take advantage of it. When you are flying you want everything secured.

Dry bags are awesome.

I now have a custom aluminum tank under my console bench along with my battery. Before that I carried a ten gallon tank strapped to the aft piece of forward wood flooring. My battery got strapped with a cam strap under the console or beneath the bench if I had bags going under the console. Getting the gas tank and battery forward was the best thing I did to improve the handling and bow rise of the boat. Note the battery is strapped to the track sliders and not the bench (more secure).

Smart tabs. They work. You don't need to do everything right off. The boat is going to be fun. But I can tell if I leave my tabs tied up instantly when I hit the gas at all. Less bow rise and lower planing speeds are a good thing.

The paddles on my zodiac were narrow bladed and didn't work well. Pathetic. I bought rafting paddles from NRS. They don't fit the aft paddle pocket on the boat. I added a small d-ring patch and velcro loop the paddle in place. Paddles. I use mine. What was zodiac thinking with those blades?

Running lights. Those after market suction cup battery operated lights are only good for slow speeds in the evening and dark hours. I also prefer to be seen. So it's 3 nautical mile rated lights for me (wired to my AGM battery).

If you run accesories off your battery it is a good idea to have a low voltage shut off wired into the circuit. That keeps you from running fishfinders, running lights or spotlights too long without the outboard on. If you pound around in your boat get an AGM battery that will take the shocks. Get a deep cycle battery no matter what. Reliability is prime.

Get a really good anchor. Those little mushrooms I see a lot of aren't all that helpful. I carry a small plow, eight feet of chain and 200' of line in a 5 gallon bucket with holes cut in the bottom. May not be necessary where you boat, but my anchor gets used a lot and I like the security to avoid being blown offshore in an emergency (hence the 200' of line). I know it's just an inflatable, but it is good to anchor securely wherever you may be.

Do I have any regrets? Well, I kind of like the used hypalon military models I see available locally, but they generally have the aluminum roll up floor (no track system) and they are black (delightful in Mexico, not). Just remember to store your PVC boat out of the sun and try to avoid a lot of heat in storage. It isn't UV that makes seams fail. It's baking your boat that does it. Use 303 UV protectant on your tubes, it works. Never use Armor All or anything like it, they make it almost impossible to get a good bond on accessories and repairs.

Sorry for the long post. I type fast? Just a few personal likes and dislikes about my zodiac. Your specific use will dictate your needs. Have fun!

Old 21 August 2010, 18:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97t-bird View Post
Are there any options or accessories that are must haves?
Make sure they include a bow bag and a bunch of tie downs that fit in the rails. Kelson's are good, but Zodiac's are better. They have pins that engage the holes inside the track. I extend them with stainless eyes, to keep any hooks well away from the fabric.
A stern bag is good too. It slides into the rail on the transom and is very handy. Items in it don't get bashed around. I put my phone, VHF, etc. in there.
A gauge and repair kit bags and pump should be standard. Tell them you want all the above or no deal, because you will need them. I'll post up some pics later.
Old 22 August 2010, 00:27   #5

Thanks the more pics the better. I have the salesman checking with his zodiac rep on when he could have the boat delivered the same with the engine. I then have to meet with him go over the contract and decide if I going to use his finacing or my credit unions, then the boat should be ordered. He said it will only take them a day once in to have it rigged and ready to go for me.

The boat is going to be stored outside here but will be covered when not in use. I dont really have a way of storing the boat inside anywhere. I hope thats not going to have to great of an effect on the boat. I am hoping for 8yrs of use as I can get a really good interest rate for a 8yr loan, and would be a better way to establish more credit for my self.

Will a gas tank fit under the bow bag? how large a tank is everyone running? Are the soft tanks from zodiac any good and where are they suppose to be placed? Sorry about all the questions I just want to make sure I do this the right way....
Old 22 August 2010, 10:50   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Are the soft tanks from zodiac any good and where are they suppose to be placed?
Yes as long as you treat them well the Flexitanks are excellent! As long as your sat down when the chap tells you the price
Old 22 August 2010, 16:39   #7

Quote:
He said it will only take them a day once in to have it rigged and ready to go for me.

The boat is going to be stored outside here but will be covered when not in use.

Will a gas tank fit under the bow bag? how large a tank is everyone running?
Be careful about the engine mounting. I hope they know what they're doing. Sealant should be applied inside any drilled holes. I got mine as a used demonstrator. They told me it was used in a movie in front of a green screen and hadn't actually been in any water. It had mounting holes drilled through the transom. I ended up raising the motor about 2 inches from where they had it.
I keep mine inside to keep it out of the sun. When I trailer it long distance on a sunny day I cover it. Its 9 years old and looks like new, but spent a couple of years in the dealer's showroom. I plan on keeping it forever and I know it will last decades.
Nothing fits under the bow bag. I liked my older boat better in that regard. It had a bow dodger. I made a triangular box with a sloping bottom which fitted under the dodger perfectly, and everything under there stayed perfectly dry no matter how bad the weather. The bag is bigger though, and holds lots of stuff.
I use a conventional 5 gal. plastic tank.
Old 23 August 2010, 00:47   #8

OK t-bird, I took some pics today for you. Let's see if I can get them on here.

Zodiac transom bag.

Here's the trailer I built. Note the support under the bow section.

Its important to support the transom. Flexing will destroy the transom/tube joint.

This my mast mount made from ABS plumbing pipe. Various flags and my stern light screw in the top fitting with dirt cheap easily replaceable fittings.

This is how I keep the bungie hooks from contacting the fabric. Learned the hard way.

After a dead battery let me down last year, I now carry a spare gel celled wheelchair battery on longer trips, or when far from civilization. Dive gear gets bungied to the floor. There's room ahead of the fuel tank too. The anchor, etc. goes in the Coke crate. Fins are usually stowed between the hooks and the pontoons. Convenient and an extra measure to keep the hooks away from the fabric. Did I mention I learned that the hard way?

Hope that's helpful.
Old 23 August 2010, 15:07   #9

Your zodiac will evolve as you use it. You will find out what you really need. The Futura is great fun right off. Don't stress too much about anything other than your basic safety gear. Get out on the water!

I detest those zodiac track stops because they only work where there is a hole in the track! Once again it is all personal preference. Northern Pike has what looks like a really fun set up, but I couldn't cross the bar with overhead waves with the same rubber strap arrangement up front. I have enough trouble keeping my passengers in the boat. The transom bag on my boat would be the least dry place to store anything. What water we take on sloshes right to the back. I have the bag full of my small parts, tools, my handheld radio and guage, but it lives in a dry bag. Nothing in my boat stays dry. Even my registration is sealed in Seal a Meal plastic! There is definitely no right way to do anything. It is so cool to see all of the different set ups here on Ribnet and read about all of the crazy stuff people do with their sibs (like hunt elk, I'm still blown away by that one).

A 5-6 gallon tank gives you quite a bit of range, particularly if you aren't running around at WOT. However, your zodiac will tempt you into longer adventures and other stupidity like hydrofoiling. Ten gallons will let you have fun all day and still have a nice reserve in the tank. My ten gallon plastic tank is still set up to strap down to the wood floorboard up front when I need it (I installed ss footmans loops on the floorboard). The tank fits right behind the bow bag. Moving as much weight forward as possible really decreases bow rise. If I'm fishing locally (because I sure won't need 20 gallons) and want the floor space it pulls right out and my under console 10 gal tank is out of the way. I don't know what a flexy tank costs, they are great in non console boats because you can strap them down anywhere and they make great additional capacity. If you are going the console route my custom aluminum tank was under $200. Floor space is tight in inflatables.

However you choose to set up your Futura be sure to post some pictures here on Ribnet. I'll bet you come up with some creative solutions on your own. That seems to be half the fun.

Old 24 August 2010, 20:16   #10

Thanks everyone......I did just recieve bad news from the salesman he has no idea how long it would take to get the futura in and the hardware as his reps boats are apparently stuck in customs in Miami. I do however have a lead on a 26ft sonic performance boat that I may check out, and its a very good deal. If that doesn't check out I will push the salesman to get the order in.........
Old 25 August 2010, 02:56   #11

A boat is always better than no boat!
Old 06 September 2010, 16:21   #12

Kelson, Nice boat. You must get some wild water down there. Here's pics of a track eye I made several years ago. I ran a strip of nylon through the table saw, drilled it every inch or so, then cut it into pieces, making several of these. You can't lock them down, but you can use them in between the locking ones. I have a couple of running lights to install as my next project. I thought I'd mount one on each side, somehow using the bag straps and/or D-rings to secure them. Haven't figured it out yet. What did you come up with for lights?

Old 05 December 2010, 12:54   #13

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Pike View Post
Make sure they include a bow bag and a bunch of tie downs that fit in the rails. Kelson's are good, but Zodiac's are better. They have pins that engage the holes inside the track. I extend them with stainless eyes, to keep any hooks well away from the fabric.
Has anyone got a link to the Zodiac tie downs to fit in the aluminium floor rails? I can't find anything on them
Old 05 December 2010, 17:33   #14

Google found me this:

http://seaandshore.co.uk/zodiac/access/misc.html

Their accessory line is called "Access".
Old 05 December 2010, 18:02   #15

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Pike View Post
Google found me this:

http://seaandshore.co.uk/zodiac/access/misc.html

Their accessory line is called "Access".
Thank you