Old 20 August 2018, 05:09   #1

Town: Cardiff
Boat name: 2 anchors
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Mariner 2 str
Raising Aerotec Transom

Sorry I know it’s been done to death on here but I’m on holiday in France and can’t find any posts. I used the Aerotec solo for the first time yesterday (with a 2006 15hp short shaft Mariner 2 stroke) and the splashing was horrendous and bucketfuls came in. It was better on the inner trim setting but still bad.

So I’m going to try raising the transom but am not sure what’s the optimum height if anyone can help.

To make matters worse I found out a valve was missing because water poured in through a drain valve when I removed the bungs to drain the water ingress. Does anyone know the correct valve for a 2012 boat?

Thanks in advance.
Old 20 August 2018, 06:54   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Most of us when using your OB model have found a wooden shim that raises the OB so the clamps are still just sitting properly on the transom plate is sufficient and doesn't usually cause problems in turns. I think this will be around 30mm.

Some folks have found even better results by building up the transom more but this needs the inner metal plate raising or replacing and the rear wooden pad moving up... all a bit much for a holiday mod.

When solo where are you sitting and do you have weight forward?

Re the drain valves they are just rubber flaps that usually last the life of the boat... are you sure there's not a bit of weed or debris trapped?

These parts should be easily available in France.

The rubber flap valve alone is Z2204... Zodiac Diaphragm Z2204 - Drain Bungs, Sockets & Elephant Trunks - Self Bailers

The complete assy Z2218... Zodiac Socket & Diaphragm Z2218

The bung Z2221... Zodiac Drain Plug & String Z2221

To check these items are correct the overall assy dia is about 40mm, the bung 35mm & the diaphragm 31mm.
Old 20 August 2018, 07:55   #3

That’s brilliant thanks Fenlander. Yes, I meant a shim and the atelier yard in the campsite should have some wood. Also heading down to the airport so can go to the zodiac dealer in Hendaye armed with the part number. The flap is missing. Thanks again.
Old 20 August 2018, 16:47   #4

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
The holiday fix would be stuffing some upholstery foam under the tilt tube. It stopped the problem for me. If you raise the motor don’t run it with motor clamps only. My first sib had the dealer fashion a wood filler that still had the clamps on factory wood but without transom bolts and the motor tilted into the boat when stopping. Rookie mistake.
Old 23 August 2018, 06:28   #5

Well the 30mm shim worked perfectly thanks and I no longer get something resembling the old faithful geyser at the stern. A little loss of direction when reversing but not too bad.

The Zodiac dealer in Hendaye is useless and didn’t have the valve diaphragm or any zodiac parts for what I could see. Plenty of fishing tackle, striped jumpers and trinkets though. It seems fine with just one for now.
Old 23 August 2018, 08:54   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Oh well that's a good enough result for holiday. With more time you might be able to reduce that shim. I made up several to take to the coast for trials when we first had the Aerotec.

Re the drain I must admit I don't run with them open because I try not to ship spray/water. I just pull the bungs out to drain what little is in there before packing the boat away.