Old 04 September 2020, 09:20   #1

Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 20hp
Quicksilver option - any suggestions?

I bought an Excel HD435/Mercury 20hp this summer and had only made a couple of little runs with the family before the ramp down to the beach near me was covered in shingle by the recent weather... bummer! It's a pretty heavy boat - 170kg total with gear and the outboard and although 6 of us could easily take it up and down the ramp when clear I think we'd struggle a bit now as it's about 4ft deep in stones. Kids going back to school and Uni so the idea of two (or even one) of us being able to launch seems to have gone out the window...

I was thinking about a lighter boat - maybe a Quicksilver 320 Air deck - know this is a downgrade and only 5 persons, but it can take a 20hp and would be more managable with one or two of us at about 110kg total for the whole setup...

Can anyone suggest any other options I might consider? The Quicksilver 320 Sport is only 12kg heavier.

Thanks!
Old 04 September 2020, 09:29   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Just be aware with a flat air deck type driven along with a 20HP and sometimes carrying a fair load you may get air floor flex/ventilation issues.... not certain you would but needs to be considered.

I had to click through to the specs re the 20HP as I was amazed they rated it to that. Zodiac downrated the advised HP for their air decks some years back and their 325 Fastroller is only rated to 10HP.
Old 04 September 2020, 10:45   #3

Thanks, yeh I was surprised not to find any other boats of a similar weight and size that were 20hp rated... it seems like a good fit for me. The Sport perhaps too - I was aware that some had those issues with air decks. I that the sort of thing best avoided by an Ali deck? The deck in the Quicksilver Sport seems no to be very heavy
Old 04 September 2020, 11:33   #4

As always with SIBs some confusing options...

I do wonder if the only way you'd make things easy over your beach launch is a lightweight airdeck... and a smaller motor?? Or an Elling 350 and smaller motor??

But re the Quicksilvers... the 320 airdeck is 42kg... my Aerotec is 45kg and nicely manageable re the boat itself. The Sport 320 with alloy floor is 54kg which is part way to the 73kg of the last alloy floor Honwave I had... and that felt a lump in truth.

So a dilemma working out if 54kg feels more like 42kg rather than creeping towards 73kg??
Old 04 September 2020, 11:54   #5

Haha exactly! I had the exact same thoughts myself!

The Excel is 95kg and all told creeping up to 170 fully loaded so either boat will feel pretty different I think. I'm hoping the resale value will be pretty good on the Excel if I do decide to switch!
Old 07 September 2020, 19:39   #6

Town: Eastbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
I bought an Excel HD435/Mercury 20hp this summer and had only made a couple of little runs with the family before the ramp down to the beach near me was covered in shingle by the recent weather... bummer! It's a pretty heavy boat - 170kg total with gear and the outboard and although 6 of us could easily take it up and down the ramp when clear I think we'd struggle a bit now as it's about 4ft deep in stones. Kids going back to school and Uni so the idea of two (or even one) of us being able to launch seems to have gone out the window...

I was thinking about a lighter boat - maybe a Quicksilver 320 Air deck - know this is a downgrade and only 5 persons, but it can take a 20hp and would be more managable with one or two of us at about 110kg total for the whole setup...

Can anyone suggest any other options I might consider? The Quicksilver 320 Sport is only 12kg heavier.

Thanks!
Hi Tonus

With some transom wheels (ballon type) , plastic skid/sled under the front and a cheap electric winch you can make that double with one person but comfortable with two.

My new set up is just under 200kgs and my local beach is shingle with steep sections , ive managed on my own but it was hard work but fine with two.

The wheels , brackets , winch , rope etc isn't cheap but i think its worth it as the boat is so much better.
Old 08 September 2020, 06:42   #7

Town: Llanfairfechan
Boat name: Labrax
Make: Quicksilver
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I appreciate that it is smaller than you are looking for, but I am delighted with my Quicksilver AluRib 270 that weighs in at 41kg and tops 30kph with a 9.8 Tohatsu 4 stroke weighing 38kg.
The combo is a very easy single handed launch with dinghy wheels.
The aluminium hull gets you over the issues discussed above and is also very robust. Quicksilver make larger versions that maybe of interest, eg, the 350 is 69kg.
Good luck in your quest!
Old 08 September 2020, 07:46   #8

Mine is the Quick silver 380 Alu rib , at 92kgs.
Just under 200kgs with 2stroke 25hp and all the kit.
Old 08 September 2020, 19:17   #9

Windsurfer, what a good idea - didn't think of that. I think I'd do that if it were the only way I could get out but I only really have one small section of shingle that is very steep. I think I'd be ok by hand on my own if I halved the weight of my boat. Glad it's working for you though - v interesting...
It's a shame as the Excel Vangaurd is lovely (watch this space as it may go on eBay soon) but it's size is just to bulky to get out and on the water at short notice... I need multiple bodies to do it as it is quite a lump!
Old 08 September 2020, 19:24   #10

Pecheur Anglais - that's incredibly light for a Rib and sounds like a great setup. My situation is that I have new 20hp Mercury that I want to keep and put on a small boat that the 435... if I downgraded a 15hp I'd open up a load more options for new boats but I don't want to lose out on selling the boat and the Outboard.

I'm really new to boating - could I get a good deal on a part-exchange of the engine?
Old 08 September 2020, 19:27   #11

The engine is only 2 months old too, so really don't want to make a loss on it as well
Old 08 September 2020, 20:06   #12

Quote:
The engine is only 2 months old too, so really don't want to make a loss on it as well
I would buy a honwave t38 and keep both boats , launch the honwave when your on your own and the excel in the summer months with all the family etc.

I bet there'll be some good used t38 coming up soon as they had been all selling out over the summer.
Old 08 September 2020, 20:35   #13

Hmm a good idea but not sure that 2x boats would be a luxury I could afford!

The T38 looks good though and is super light - I didn't really consider it as I thought it was another 'big' boat but 48kg and a bit more room than a Quicksilver 320 I suppose...
food for thought, thank you.
Old 10 September 2020, 15:44   #14

So after considering a Seapro and a Honwave T38 I've decided to order either a Quicksilver 320 Air (42kg) or Quicksilver 320 (54kg). As I said my engine is 45kg so the heavier Alu version would total about 110kg all told with anchor and fuel.

Does that sound like a setup that would be managable to launch solo? I need to pull up about 35ft of not very steep shingle - I'm fairly fit does - that sound do-able on my own? If easily so then I'm sure I'll be glad I went for the Alu deck...

Fenlander - your 45kg Aerotec being managable - how heavy is your engine? Is your total weight about the same?
Old 10 September 2020, 16:21   #15

My Yamaha is about 35kg. Always launch with a full 25l of fuel weighing about 22kg and my anchor/tool bag adds another 12kg. Obviously there is other kit but those are the main things.

Remember though I avoid beach launches. Shingle is strength sapping uphill.
Old 10 September 2020, 16:32   #16

And re your choice sadly only trying the combo up the beach will tell you. Often when folks downsize re weight they cut back on the outboard too. Keeping that 20HP kind of limits the improvement you will see.
Old 10 September 2020, 16:53   #17

Hi Tonus
Could you post a picture of what your trying to pull the boat up?

I don’t think you’ll be about to pull up 110kgs on your own over shingle , my old set up was 3.2 honwave and 2/15hp plus fuel around 90kgs and I couldn’t do that on my own unless I carried the out board separately.
Old 10 September 2020, 17:53   #18

Thanks for the replies - this is the ramp - the shingle starts level and then about 30ft of slight incline.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9762.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	135049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9763.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	135050  
Old 13 September 2020, 19:18   #19

Quote:
Thanks for the replies - this is the ramp - the shingle starts level and then about 30ft of slight incline.
Its definitely flatter and shorter than my launch but i don't think you'll pull your 110kgs back up on your own , two people would be fine and you could launch on your own.

Just need to arrange a hand getting out!
Old 13 September 2020, 19:19   #20

A small electric winch and battery pack would make light work of it !