Old 31 August 2020, 13:22   #1

Length: 6m +
Quicksilver 420 HD inflatatble

Hi all, this is my first ever post so be kind!

Thinking of buying a Quicksilver 420 Sport HD and wondered if anyone with experience of using one could let me know their thoughts?

Also are they welded or glued seams?

Some have said the latest ones are not built as well as the 'older' 430 or 415 models.
Old 31 August 2020, 17:37   #2

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Go to You Tube and look up The Gurnard (Donny Wilcox) You will see of his many adventures in such a boat
Old 31 August 2020, 17:56   #3

Double Post
Old 01 September 2020, 06:24   #4

Ok thanks will take a look
Old 01 September 2020, 09:45   #5

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Touchdown ..yup I had a 2004 made Quicksilver 430HD SIB and really enjoyed its performance.. powered by a 25HP outboard. It went to many remote and far offshore islands off the West Coast of Scotland and I had no worries even in conditions bordering the limits of Cat C boats. Sadly I scrapped it this year when the transom glue started to fail after 16 years of hard use so cant fault it for that.

I cant really comment on the new version of this boat. I would doubt it has build quality issues though as I replaced it with the Quicksilver 420 Aluminium Hull version and it is very well made. The original was very well made too. Both have welded seams on the tubes.I can only guess the newer SIB will have welded tubes too..but obviously cant confirm.

The newer version however is now a long shaft transom and is a bit lighter in weight as my older version was 108KG. I notice the Aluminium Hull version which I now have has marginally thinner PVC..so suspect that could account for the weight difference..plus its an aluminium floor compared to my wooden floor version ?

IMO a trailer is a must for such big heavy SIBS.. my one was trailered everywhere. I didn’t replace it with the newer version simply because I was not buying a long shaft outboard as well as a new boat. That was why I went for the RIB version ..it uses my old 25HP two stroke short shaft. Im delighted with the new purchase and prefer it to the SIB ..worth a consideration if you already have a decent short shaft OB and intend trailering ? The SIB is half its price though and has more room..otherwise the RIB version is IMO superior in every other way.

Hope this helps some..but I cant really comment on the newer version of the Quicksilver 420 HD sport as I have not even seen one. Best to look at one for yourself before buying ..if you can. However I can and have ..commented on the older version..plus the Aluminium Hull version ..its full report is here ..

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/quicks...ble-83925.html
Old 02 September 2020, 17:09   #6

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I have seen some of your videos on YouTube so appreciate you are speaking from a wealth of experience from your old SIB and now new RIB adventures.

All good points, I think most stockists are out of stock due to covid so I may have to wait a little while. I liked the flexibility of a SIB as very occasionally I will need to deflate and put in the back of my truck but accept they are very heavy things.

I’ll keep researching but at the moment I favour the Quicksilver 420hd sport which is around £1,500. Hypalon would be nice but over twice the price and likely to change SIB after say 5 years.

Thanks again for your reply and stay well
Old 04 September 2020, 06:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I have seen some of your videos on YouTube so appreciate you are speaking from a wealth of experience from your old SIB and now new RIB adventures.

All good points, I think most stockists are out of stock due to covid so I may have to wait a little while. I liked the flexibility of a SIB as very occasionally I will need to deflate and put in the back of my truck but accept they are very heavy things.

I’ll keep researching but at the moment I favour the Quicksilver 420hd sport which is around £1,500. Hypalon would be nice but over twice the price and likely to change SIB after say 5 years.

Thanks again for your reply and stay well
I would not worry too much about the whole PVC/Hypalon debate.

Most people dont know what they have or indeed care. In my view one is as good as another
Old 04 September 2020, 09:27   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yep in the leisure sibbing market PVC is totally satisfactory.