Old 10 July 2009, 18:51   #1

Length: 5m +
Questions on Zodiac MK V HD

Hi!
I just bought a zodiac mk5 HD (Heavy duty) from the "swedish rescue service" The boat is 5.85mlong and equipped with a 40Hp Yamaha. If I undrstand it correct this is a military standard boat, is it good?

Some questions.

1 What can I expect regarding speed with this boat outfitted with this engine
2 How will it perform in waves
3 Trailer, the boat came witout Trailer, how should a trailer look like to best serve this size SIB
4 Any other thoughts on this model is appriciated

This is what it looks like

//Sven
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3057.jpg
Views:	2370
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	43915  
Old 10 July 2009, 23:31   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Hi Sven,

Nice boat! Yes, the HD series are from Zodiac's Mil/Pro line and are well made boats with heavy duty hypalon. If it was made within the past 20 years it probably has a futura (inflatable trimaran) hull design, which is more efficient than the traditional inflatable v keel.

A couple of specs that be useful for you;

Overall length: 19'2"

Overall beam: 8"2"

Weight: 551 lbs

Maximum H.P.: 115 hp

Payload Capacity 5556 lbs !

Tube Diameter: 25"

I would guesss that with the 40 hp Yamaha 2 stroke & a minimal load, you might get a top speed somewhere around 30 Km/h. Do you (or any of your buddies) have a handheld GPS to test this with? I'm curious as well.
Old 11 July 2009, 09:51   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
The 40hp will be under-powered for such a large craft. Would reckon a 90hp 2-stroke would be a nice match. Any pictures?

Also, how is the steering set up?
Old 11 July 2009, 10:19   #4

RIBase
Found a seller in US with the same type of boat. Looks like they've bolted a GRP console from the leisure range onto the aluminium floor.
http://www.boatsville.com/used_boats...m?boatid=49345

1/ With a 90hp 4-stroke, (and 8hp auxilliary) they got 27 knot top speed. That's the top-rated engine for this boat. There's a Mk VI version too which can take up to a 115hp. Not sure what you can achieve with a 40hp. The Futura-style hull will help to a degree.

2/ Should perform well, but they key here will be the engine. With a lack of on-tap power, you won't have complete control in certain sea conditions, and also depends on how many people onboard.

3/ Carpeted bunk on a single-axle trailer will be fine. You can deflate the speed tubes underneath when recovering the boat.

4/ For more information on this boat - see http://www.zodiac-boats.co.uk/download/comcat08.pdf
Old 12 July 2009, 21:22   #5

Great fun!!!

Hi!

The boat works great!

I was out today, top-speed with two adualt á 100Kg and three kids was 24 knots.

Crusing at 20 knot does not take a lot of HP.

I met some proper waves, not ocean but still, the boat performed really well in those condition, 1m wave.

I am havin problems regarding how much air i am to have in the tubes. In mid-day they where realy stiff and getting back at night they where not very hard, entering in to port when I took the revs on the outboard down the boat went banana for a while, felt vey scary.... Banana meaning that it went up in the bow and down in the aft, after approximately two sec it came back in to shape...

Is this OK or does one have to always have to adjust preassure pending outside temp.

I will post some pictures on the boat later.

Could some one please post some pictures on appropriate Trailer for this kind of boat, so far I have been transporting it on Trailer ment for rigid boats, NOT GOOD AT ALL!!

Plea advice on Trailer setup!

//Sven
Old 13 July 2009, 10:59   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Is this OK or does one have to always have to adjust preassure pending outside temp.
Not sure if your particular model has pressure release valves to regulate air pressure within the tubes? I would have thought it would as it is a commercial specification boat. A picture of the valve would help.

Regards the trailer, a carpeted bunk trailer is needed to support the boat, for the entire length, especially under the transom where most of the weight will be. You can also retro-fit an outboard support to take the strain of the engine when the outboard is in the tilt position.

Indespension or DeGraaff make good quality trailers. http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...3D147%26um%3D1
Old 15 July 2009, 20:24   #7

Update

I have a leek in the Hull!

Again I come with questions, hope for answers!

1 how do you locate a hole in the hull the best way, its not in the tubes containing air... Its in the V hull made out of Hypalon.... (Does one put water in it when on land)

2 When I assembled the boat we had problems but after a while we manged to get the floorboards in place, what is the correct way to fit the floorboards in this model.

3 I have bought some glue from zodiac to fix the hole, "zodiac neoprene BI-Component Adhesive (7098)". Does anyone have experience with this glue, any thoughts??

4 The banana shape I mentioned in previous posting, is there an explanation to that??

Appreciate all answers

//Beginner....
Old 16 July 2009, 04:51   #8

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by sven View Post
I have a leek in the Hull!

Again I come with questions, hope for answers!

1 how do you locate a hole in the hull the best way, its not in the tubes containing air... Its in the V hull made out of Hypalon.... (Does one put water in it when on land)

2 When I assembled the boat we had problems but after a while we manged to get the floorboards in place, what is the correct way to fit the floorboards in this model.

3 I have bought some glue from zodiac to fix the hole, "zodiac neoprene BI-Component Adhesive (7098)". Does anyone have experience with this glue, any thoughts??

4 The banana shape I mentioned in previous posting, is there an explanation to that??

Appreciate all answers

//Beginner....

I'll try to answer the questions as vest I can;

1. Remove the floorboards and inflate the central keel to full pressure. Get a brush and a small bowl or margarine tub with some soapy water in it and start applying it with the brush to the keel. Chances are highest that the leak is ocurring at either the valve or the seams, so start with those areas. If the leak is quite slow, it may take a few minutes for the soapy water to develop large bubbles. Once you identify the location of the leak(s) mark the spot with an 'x'.

2. When installing the floorboards, the flatter the surface is beneath the boat the easier it is to install. If you are assembling the boat on a grassy surface, one trick that works fantastically is to place 2 oars or poles between the grass and the bottom of the boat. This will give you a level surface for installing the floor boards and will make the installation of the stringers much easier.

3. There are a few steps to this, also there are a number of threads on RIB.net explaining how to glue hypalon with 2 part glue. I'll see what I can find.

4. A banana shape would be a result from your central inflatable keel losing air & allowing the floorboard joints to flex. Once you identify and patch the source of the leak in the keel, place a small amount of viagara powder inside the keel to help keep it rigid (don't overdo it!).
Old 16 August 2009, 20:39   #9

Town: London
Boat name: Sportboat S310
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard tbd
Mark V

Hi Sven
I am trying to get hold of a second hand Zodiac Mark V - where did you find this one?
Cheers
Lyle
Old 18 August 2009, 04:49   #10

Town: Chandler AZ
Boat name: undecided
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 76 Johnson 14.999hp
that is one wicked ass craft. Very nice!