Old 25 January 2020, 16:56   #1

Town: Abu Dhabi
Length: 3m +
Engine: 5 HP
PVC Trolly/Dolly for inflatable boat

Dear All

I know that this question might be asked here before, but this is my first time in this forum...

I have an inflatable boat of 3.5 meters with a 5 HP motor, I believe the weights of both would be around 50 KG or a little more, and I am planning to build a PVC trolly to take my boat into / and out of the sea but could not find any practical plan or reliable design out of PVC so far, I looked for those on youtube and the ones I found were for much less weight than my boat and its motor.

Anyone have built something like that ? any pictures / tried designs ?

Thank you all for the helpful ideas
Old 25 January 2020, 19:30   #2

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Why a trolley and not just use transom mounted launching wheels?
Old 26 January 2020, 09:07   #3

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I see the original poster is from Abu Dhabi so may not have access to the same range of retailers and products as those of us in Europe or the USA.

My first choice for a boat that size would be transom mounted wheels. These are an excellent solution. One of my SIBs had no wheels and was difficult to manoeuvre on shore. One had cheap hard plastic wheels and was fairly easy to move about. This one has pneumatic tyres on long stainless legs and I can move it very easily.

Second choice would be to buy a purpose made trolley. These are readily available from sites like eBay. Search for "launch trolley". They can also be ordered via local chandlers.

Of course, if there is any prospect of launching at a variety of sites, a towable trailer might be an option.

I can see no benefit in "reinventing the wheel" by making a trolley. If you wish to do so as an interesting project, why use PVC? I would have thought it was too flexible and vulnerable to breakage or buckling.
Old 26 January 2020, 10:00   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
on youtube there's a pontoon ladder made out of PVC pipe it will be thick wall stuff but you might struggle to get the strength in length, interesting to see how you get on with it though
Old 26 January 2020, 10:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
I see the original poster is from Abu Dhabi so may not have access to the same range of retailers and products as those of us in Europe or the USA.
Probably has a much wider choice and if you can buy boats and outboards pretty sure you can get transom wheels.....

https://www.desertcart.ae/products/5593646-seamax-easy-load-boat-launching-dolly-12-wheels-system-for-zodiac-type-inflatable-boats-amp-aluminum-boats
Old 26 January 2020, 10:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
Probably has a much wider choice and if you can buy boats and outboards pretty sure you can get transom wheels.....

https://www.desertcart.ae/products/5...aluminum-boats
Old 27 January 2020, 17:20   #7

Thank you all for your feedback,

In fact, I can easily order launching wheels online and I can install them myself, it is just I prefer not to mess around with my newly purchased boat and start making holes in it fearing something will go wrong ... I found it more easily if I could use a trolly instead since it is doable using PVC as per that YOUTUBE video and also a much cheaper option
Old 01 February 2020, 09:03   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrahimdaas View Post
Thank you all for your feedback,

In fact, I can easily order launching wheels online and I can install them myself, it is just I prefer not to mess around with my newly purchased boat and start making holes in it fearing something will go wrong ... I found it more easily if I could use a trolly instead since it is doable using PVC as per that YOUTUBE video and also a much cheaper option

I’d say PVC is too flexible for the weight you have in mind. I’ve seen it used for little rowing tenders and optimist sized sailing boats. If you’re determined to try it - then I’d look to remove the engine, fuel tank, anchor and any equipment before using the trolley.
Old 01 February 2020, 17:49   #9

From your experince, is there any alternative way to fix the launching wheels to the boat transom without making holes in the transom?
Old 01 February 2020, 18:22   #10

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Following my son's involvement with Optimists I built one of these for my old Mirror dinghy and once or twice used it for my Avon 310 with a 9.8 Tohatsu on the back, if I got the balance right it sort of worked. However I then bought some transom wheels and never looked back.

What was interesting was that at home on the drive it worked fine. But put it on a slipway with a bit of a slope and uneven surface and it struggled not to flex too much and just did not work.

Get some transom wheels.
Old 01 February 2020, 18:36   #11

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> any alternative way to fix the launching wheels to the boat transom without making holes in the transom?

I've owned 10 SIBs and on every one it either came with transom wheels or I fitted them. On several SIBs I've taken off the existing wheels and fitted a set with totally different mounting holes.

There has never been a problem making a decent job re strength or looks.

I wouldn't avoid them.
Old 02 February 2020, 13:07   #12

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Definitely in favour of transom wheels on a SIB. One person can move a SIB plus engine and a reasonable amount of kit easily on transom wheels.

Fitting them takes confidence and care, but is not technically difficult. If you're clever enough to make a trolley, you're clever enough to fit transom wheels.

For my sailing dinghy, I use a launch trolley. I have fitted a removable front jockey wheel and can tow it up the slipway with my car. However, it remains at the side of the slipway while I'm sailing.

On the other hand, one of the many joys of an inflatable is the ability to land on any stretch of beach and just rest, picnic, camp, etc. Especially if you need to pull the boat clear of the waves, or there's a falling tide that might leave the boat stranded, some transom wheels that are with you are far better than a trolley that is somewhere else.

But if you insist on a trolley, I think PVC is a poor choice of material.