Old 19 February 2021, 15:35   #1

Town: Shropshire
Length: 4m +
Putting an aluminium floored SIB on a trailer

I was advised not to leave a larger SIB on a trailer or launch trolley as it may sag over time.

However, I am aware that some people tow their SIBs and some leave it on launch trolleys for extended periods.

If you are one of these people, have you seen any ill effects to the SIB, or have you modified your trailer/trolley to increase or improve the surface area that supports the SIB?

I have purchased a launch trolley and am looking at improving the support it currently offers by modifying it with a couple of large webbing slings.

Dave
Old 19 February 2021, 15:45   #2

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelvar View Post
I was advised not to leave a larger SIB on a trailer or launch trolley as it may sag over time.

Dave
Not sure who told you that but my heavy Quicksilver 4.3m SIB sat on its trailer 365 days per year and never sagged after sitting 16 years. The secret is to support the length of floor of the boat with the trailer bunks just where it meets the tubes. That way there is no weight on the tubes so it wont deform if pressure goes down in the tubes.

I have no experience of leaving it long term on a launch trolley. .. so perhaps that is what they really mean to say.. bunked trailer is fine though..
Old 19 February 2021, 18:31   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Surface area support and plenty of it
Old 19 February 2021, 20:08   #4

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelvar View Post

However, I am aware that some people tow their SIBs and some leave it on launch trolleys for extended periods.

If you are one of these people, have you seen any ill effects to the SIB, or have you modified your trailer/trolley to increase or improve the surface area that supports the SIB?

I have purchased a launch trolley and am looking at improving the support it currently offers by modifying it with a couple of large webbing slings.

Dave
My Futura spent all it's life on a SIB trailer, no evidence of problems.

Get an appropriate trailer which supports the tubes and the transom.
Old 21 February 2021, 15:12   #5

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Futura mkll with 60hp on it. 3years during summer months it’s on the trailer with no problem. And I check. Transom rests on the bunks as does the aluminum floor. I just let the keel air out so fabric goes slack and let’s bunks contact floor. Also I keep air in tubes that support transom at least 2 psi. It sleeps in my garage when not in use.
Old 21 February 2021, 16:17   #6

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Nelvar,

Tried to reply to your pm but strangely couldn't attach any pics, so putting my reply here on the forum. Hope you don't mind, here goes;

Hi Nelvar,

The trolley's (we have a large and small) have been used and modified a few times over the years to suit different boats. We fitted bunks for good support as our sibs sat on these inflated March to November and the trollies only dismantled and folded for storage over winter. The bunks were all made from 38 x 63mm CLS timber and 2400mm long covered with pipe insulation. Tubes always reduced to around half pressure for storage. We also used a cheap hand dolly for ease of hauling by hand over grass, dunes and sand.

The first sib, a Zodiac was aluminium floor so the outer bunks were positioned under the outer edges of the floor next to tubes, and keel fully deflated. Four bunks probably overkill as in reality two would suffice.

For the Aerotec the bunks went under the tubes and the air floor just hung between.

The last incarnation was for a T38. For this the inner bunks ditched and boat supported with single bunks under tubes hard up to floor edges.

We also, at one point, modded the smaller trolley with short bunks. This was good for occasional daily inflation use as could be readily dismantled and folded.

Hope all this rambling makes sense and of some help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Launch Trolley.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	136363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolly.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	136364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aerotec and Husky tractor.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	136365   Click image for larger version

Name:	T38 Tractor Launch.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	136366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Folding Launch Trolley.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	136367  

Old 21 February 2021, 17:12   #7

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Nelvar,

Tried to reply to your pm but strangely couldn't attach any pics, so putting my reply here on the forum. Hope you don't mind, here goes;

Hi Nelvar,

The trolley's (we have a large and small) have been used and modified a few times over the years to suit different boats. We fitted bunks for good support as our sibs sat on these inflated March to November and the trollies only dismantled and folded for storage over winter. The bunks were all made from 38 x 63mm CLS timber and 2400mm long covered with pipe insulation. Tubes always reduced to around half pressure for storage. We also used a cheap hand dolly for ease of hauling by hand over grass, dunes and sand.

The first sib, a Zodiac was aluminium floor so the outer bunks were positioned under the outer edges of the floor next to tubes, and keel fully deflated. Four bunks probably overkill as in reality two would suffice.

For the Aerotec the bunks went under the tubes and the air floor just hung between.

The last incarnation was for a T38. For this the inner bunks ditched and boat supported with single bunks under tubes hard up to floor edges.

We also, at one point, modded the smaller trolley with short bunks. This was good for occasional daily inflation use as could be readily dismantled and folded.

I’d add bunks under transom. That’s the weakest and most important connection. Wood to fabric/hard to soft. And the outboards weight is relentless at trying to pull the wood down to the ground. JMO
Old 21 February 2021, 17:31   #8

Good and valid point.

However, irrelevant to my post. First off on all variants my bunks extend beyond and support the transom. Second, boats all stored without motor attached. Third, towing whilst motor attached, only hand balled or towed at walking speed behind car or tractor on private land/beach.
Old 22 February 2021, 14:45   #9

Perfect - Thank you

Quote:
Nelvar,

Hi Nelvar,

Chipko,

that is fantastic, thank you.

My intention, when the SIB arrives, is to inflate, turn it upside down, and work from there to determine the modifications needed to the trailer.

I prefer your rigid bow-to-stern support, as opposed to my original intention of using webbing to provide lateral support.

Once I have completed the trailer, I will post the photos.

Dave
Old 12 March 2021, 10:06   #10

Town: Lichfield
Boat name: WATERBUG
Make: EXCEL
Engine: Petrol
I have a Excel Vanguard XHD 485 SIB
It has been unused, fully fitted with Hydraulic Steering, and a 30HP Tohatsu EFI
Outboard, resting on my Trailer.
The bunks only support the sides, where the Aluminium Floor just comes under the Tubes, and the Transom rests on a bunk, to support the Weight of the Ourboard.
The front is also supported with a bunk block. I have placed a little Hydraulic Jack under the Outboard, to very slightly and gently lift it, to take the strain of the Engine.
It's been like that for 2 years.
Hopefully the Pandemic will be sorted soon, and I can use the Boat.
It is protected with a UV Solution, and under cover.
I will have to tow this for 900 Miles, and I wonder, if I should have a special cover made for Towing, and also, who does that professionally here in England UK.
You see, I do not care if the Boat gets wet,
, I am worried to trailer the Boat for hours in the heat and UV RAYS unprotected.
It is not Hyperlon Material, it is sort of PVC.
Also, will I have to know, if the sib should be fully inflated during the heat and Journey
Can anyone advise me please?
Thanking you kindly
Stay Safe, and Keep Well
Kind Regards

DIETER
Dormann Dormanndieter@gmail
Old 12 March 2021, 12:33   #11

To be honest we prefer to tow without a cover even though our boats are always covered or garaged whilst not in use. A few days or even weeks a year exposed to uv whilst towing won’t significantly degrade pvc tubes....no worse than using it on the water.

We do however store and/or tow with tubes reduced to between half and two thirds working pressure to allow for any temperature fluctuations.
Old 12 March 2021, 13:22   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
To be honest we prefer to tow without a cover even though our boats are always covered or garaged whilst not in use. A few days or even weeks a year exposed to uv whilst towing won’t significantly degrade pvc tubes....no worse than using it on the water.
^^^^^^ wot he said

Covers just rub/flap/shred when towing.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 21:00   #13

Town: Lichfield
Boat name: WATERBUG
Make: EXCEL
Engine: Petrol
Hello Chicory,
May I say many thanks, for your valuable information.
I do very much think, that you are right.
And I will Tow the Sib from England to South Germany ( Lake Constance), in August 2021 if the Pandemic Situation allows it.
I am new in this forum, and forgive me if I make some mistakes contacting
But I will get there in the end.
Again thank you for the advise, it is very appreciated.
Kind Regards
Dieter. (DIEDOR)
Old 24 May 2021, 11:38   #14

My modified Launch Trolley

Quote:
Nelvar,

Hi Nelvar,

Chipko,

I modified my launch trolley accordingly and it works great. Thank you for your direction in this.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0286a.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	137499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119b.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	137500  

Tags