Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 October 2022, 07:16   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Swansea
Boat name: Black mag
Make: Boat world
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9 2 stroke
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 25
Purchase of a new sib am I guna struggle 👀

Hi all looking for a bit of clarity which obviously is different for all, more like I need someone to tell me don’t worry and just do it lol. I’ve currently got a 330 pro from boat world with a 9.9 mariner 2 stroke (cracking engine). Managed fine this season with launching (slip and hard sand) but looking to go slightly bigger now to the 3.65 excel vanguard which weighs in an extra 20kg. Loads more space on board but don’t want to over gun myself and make it a chore instead of a pleasure. Bigger wheels I was thinking. Anyone with this set up or similar. 104kg boat and engine. TIA
__________________

__________________
Jenks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2022, 07:57   #2
Member
 
Steve509926's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 15HP
MMSI: 235924407
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1,821
Hi Jenks, looking at the specs it is probably closer to 25kg heavier, a bag of builders sand. If you can, why don't you set up and try your 330 with a bag of sand loaded in it. If you do struggle, have you thought about an airdeck, SD360?
Making the assumption that you around 35 and relatively fit, using your sib on the slips and beaches on the Gower, then IMO you shouldn't have to much of a problem, especially with bigger wheels (not keen on the Excel wheels, read Fenlander post on wheels)
If you are using the same 9.8 I think you may be disappointed with the performance of the XHD365 compared to your 330. It's not so much the weight, it's the width creating extra drag between the XHD365 and the water.
I have a SD360 with a 15hp efi on the back, 2 up and a dog, and I'm happy with the performance. I think I would be frustrated with a 9.8 on the back.
__________________

__________________
Steve509926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2022, 08:17   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Swansea
Boat name: Black mag
Make: Boat world
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9 2 stroke
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Jenks, looking at the specs it is probably closer to 25kg heavier, a bag of builders sand. If you can, why don't you set up and try your 330 with a bag of sand loaded in it. If you do struggle, have you thought about an airdeck, SD360?
Making the assumption that you around 35 and relatively fit, using your sib on the slips and beaches on the Gower, then IMO you shouldn't have to much of a problem, especially with bigger wheels (not keen on the Excel wheels, read Fenlander post on wheels)
If you are using the same 9.8 I think you may be disappointed with the performance of the XHD365 compared to your 330. It's not so much the weight, it's the width creating extra drag between the XHD365 and the water.
I have a SD360 with a 15hp efi on the back, 2 up and a dog, and I'm happy with the performance. I think I would be frustrated with a 9.8 on the back.
Yes Steve I think total extra 21kg so like you said not far off a bag of sand, I love the ally deck for how stable it is etc quite enjoy standing on the deck with ease and moving about on a long day. The other option was the 335 vanguard which is in totals only about 100mm more internally and in width. Thatís only 55kg but with that extra bit of room and quality of boat might make the difference I need. Usually just myself onboard fishing with occasionally another one up. One major factor is now after hours you canít get into Oxwich with a van if need to park down the side and lug everything round the wall 🙈🙈🙈🙈 massive off put now for early mornings and evenings. But like I said if Iím guna upgrade I think I should upgrade to something more substantial. Decisions are hard hahaha
__________________
Jenks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2022, 08:19   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Swansea
Boat name: Black mag
Make: Boat world
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9 2 stroke
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 25
Also waiting for the right 15hp 2 stroke to pop up 🔥 hard to come by at the moment but hopefully will be a few around soon 👌🏼
__________________
Jenks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2022, 09:38   #5
Member
 
Steve509926's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 15HP
MMSI: 235924407
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1,821
There's a big difference in size between the XHD365 and the 335, if I was changing I think I'd be going for the 365.
A point about airdecks, I stand and stretch my legs and back all the time they are stable and "solid" to stand on.
If you find it's a trek from where you park, have you considered a bow dolly?
I think you have probably already made up your mind on what you want to do. Personally I'd do it.
__________________
Steve509926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2022, 10:20   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Swansea
Boat name: Black mag
Make: Boat world
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9 2 stroke
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
There's a big difference in size between the XHD365 and the 335, if I was changing I think I'd be going for the 365.
A point about airdecks, I stand and stretch my legs and back all the time they are stable and "solid" to stand on.
If you find it's a trek from where you park, have you considered a bow dolly?
I think you have probably already made up your mind on what you want to do. Personally I'd do it.
Yes think I may well do, will have a look at the air deck before ordering, love the ally but suppose I wonít know until I try 👍🏻 it hanks for the advice and info mate. Much appreciated
__________________
Jenks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2022, 15:43   #7
Member
 
Wave rave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Depth rave
Make: Excell
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 15hp 4stroke
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 4
I went straight in and cared little for weight.
I have a vanguard 395. Ali floor. Suzuki 15 4stroke.
With all the other bumf I reckon im130kg plus.
42 years old. Reasonable fitness. I can manhandle the whole kaboodle down a rubbly path and on the way back up I take the engine off and whack it on a sack barra.
Hardest part is shoving the actual boat when packed away back into the van.
So batter in and get it dun.
__________________
Wave rave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2022, 16:07   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,590
>>>Also waiting for the right 15hp 2 stroke to pop up

If your 9.9 is a really good one of the late 90s/early 2000s model why not just find a carb to upgrade to 15hp?
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2022, 17:01   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Swansea
Boat name: Black mag
Make: Boat world
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9 2 stroke
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave rave View Post
I went straight in and cared little for weight.
I have a vanguard 395. Ali floor. Suzuki 15 4stroke.
With all the other bumf I reckon im130kg plus.
42 years old. Reasonable fitness. I can manhandle the whole kaboodle down a rubbly path and on the way back up I take the engine off and whack it on a sack barra.
Hardest part is shoving the actual boat when packed away back into the van.
So batter in and get it dun.
Haha, yea Iíve made my mind up I think now, just get on with it and go that little bit bigger 👍🏻 if your guna struggle may as well struggle a little more init. Cheers for the push
__________________
Jenks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2022, 17:03   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Swansea
Boat name: Black mag
Make: Boat world
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9 2 stroke
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>Also waiting for the right 15hp 2 stroke to pop up

If your 9.9 is a really good one of the late 90s/early 2000s model why not just find a carb to upgrade to 15hp?
Itís the 1998 mariner. Should be able to do that then should I? Was hoping I could put a few people said it wasnít as easy as just changing the carb? Cheers fenlander
__________________
Jenks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2022, 06:51   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Swansea
Boat name: Black mag
Make: Boat world
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9 2 stroke
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave rave View Post
I went straight in and cared little for weight.
I have a vanguard 395. Ali floor. Suzuki 15 4stroke.
With all the other bumf I reckon im130kg plus.
42 years old. Reasonable fitness. I can manhandle the whole kaboodle down a rubbly path and on the way back up I take the engine off and whack it on a sack barra.
Hardest part is shoving the actual boat when packed away back into the van.
So batter in and get it dun.
Out of interest what transom wheels you use? Cheers mate
__________________
Jenks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2022, 16:14   #12
Member
 
Wave rave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Depth rave
Make: Excell
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 15hp 4stroke
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 4
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133994450812
They're called easyflip from box marine. Take up to 200 kg apparently. There's not much clearance from bottom of transom to top of wheel but it's enough to swap out the wheels with air type tyres if you need to drag it over softer terrain. I've found them to be pretty solid and easy to tuck away from sitting inside.
I am by no means an expert at this game and they're the only set of wheels I've used so can't compare to anything else but for what it's worth they do the job for me.
__________________
Wave rave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2022, 18:58   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Swansea
Boat name: Black mag
Make: Boat world
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9 2 stroke
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave rave View Post
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133994450812
They're called easyflip from box marine. Take up to 200 kg apparently. There's not much clearance from bottom of transom to top of wheel but it's enough to swap out the wheels with air type tyres if you need to drag it over softer terrain. I've found them to be pretty solid and easy to tuck away from sitting inside.
I am by no means an expert at this game and they're the only set of wheels I've used so can't compare to anything else but for what it's worth they do the job for me.
Yea got them on my current smaller sib very handy but struggle through soft sand maybe Iíll look at getting some blow ups for the sand to add onto it. Cheers mate 👌🏼
__________________
Jenks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2022, 11:46   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenks87 View Post
Itís the 1998 mariner. Should be able to do that then should I? Was hoping I could put a few people said it wasnít as easy as just changing the carb? Cheers fenlander
Discussion here on another site:
http://www.microskiff.com/threads/9-...to-15hp.23559/

If you can find the engines one here you'll see which part numbers are different:
www.crowleymarine.com/mercury/oem-parts
__________________
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2022, 20:36   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Swansea
Boat name: Black mag
Make: Boat world
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9 2 stroke
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Discussion here on another site:
www.microskiff.com/threads/9-9-merc-converted-to-15hp.23559/

If you can find the engines one here you'll see which part numbers are different:
www.crowleymarine.com/mercury/oem-parts
Thanks for the links, unfortunately no clarity for me as havnt got a clue about the engines. Hoping to find a new one now as donít want to mess with this engine as itís immaculate unless I can find someone professional to do it in south wales. A lot of people just chucking carbs on but doesnít seem to be the way forward haha will keep searching. Thanks again
__________________

__________________
Jenks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.