Old 24 January 2003, 18:34   #21

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Mmmmmmm

All this diesel o/b talk is very interesting. The trouble with them though, be they for a spare engine on a RIB, (which, yes I do still want), or sinking the rear end of a SIB, they ARE bloody heavy.

I agree, Alan, that with the weight of petrol, you will get up to 80 kilos with engine and fuel, but at least you won't be trying to hang all 80 on the transom when you break down in a force 6! Only about 25kilos for a 9.8hp Tohatsu 2 stroke from memory! The rest of the weight stays somewhere near the pointy end!

Oh how I wish there was a lightweight deisel of the same power. Physics is a pig aint it!

I am still undecided about what donkey engine to put on Prime Rib II, but going on my finances at the moment a second hand 8hp ish will have to do, and then only to get me out of coastal trouble. Returning from half way to Cherbourg on the spare may be just a dream!

I'd be intersted to know about that 8hp narrow boat one when you can, Graeme!

Sails are good!

Mike C
Old 24 January 2003, 19:15   #22

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Guy at Wexford sw Ireland used to have a fleet of orkneys with diesel o/bs, I think they were 25hps. Noisy and no guts to 'em and you spilt half your guinness at night cos your whole body was still rattling away in sympathy with the boat and motor
Old 24 January 2003, 22:44   #23

Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 50
as a rib (part) owner i admit to a certain feeling of supercilliousness (spelling?) when viewing the contibutions of sibsters to this site. sad, really. bit like the way muggers of old ladies regard rapists as beneath them in the prison pecking order. human nature maybe? anyway, looking back on my last few years ribbing with my few friends i am endeavouring to resist the trap that many 'boaties' seem to fall into. that is, to be forever dreaming of the next boat ie the current boat with a bit less of this and a bit more of that. it's hard - most boaties are achievers and driven men - and to accept the status quo is to challenge what rs thomas had to say about the star drawing us ever on to improve but....the great emotional experiences of life, thrill, love, wonder at nature, freedom etc are available to sibsters as much as ribsters. When you're watching your son's ruddy smile as he kills a mackerel in the glow of a sundown, you're not really worried about chine-walking are you?
Old 24 January 2003, 23:45   #24

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
gaelforce, I'm too frightened to reply to any of your posts - I reckon you're going to analyse my reply and put me into a socio-economic group or assign me to a social worker who'll come round and section me as a schitsophrenic unbalanced danger to society! (or at least someone who can't spell schitzophrenic)
D'oh - I've done it now!
Old 25 January 2003, 07:51   #25

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Quote:
Originally posted by gaelforce
... boaties are achievers and driven men...
I was going to let that one pass until I read Peppers post.

So where then do the likes of Clare Frances, Tracey Edwards, Isabelle Autessier, Catherine Chabaud, Mirranda Merron, Emma Richards and now young Ellen Macarthur fit in?

Gaelforce, do you some have some sort of prejudice against women being drivers?

Being the deep thinking man that you are, ponder on this. The proportion of female mariners to males in the world of short or single-handed ocean racing is the closest in any sport in which they compete on level terms. And of the top three British single-handers who are active today, two are women.

Ellen Macarthur - acknowledged by many to be the greatest singel-hander of ALL TIME - is number one. Mike Golding is number two and a wee 25 year-old Scottish lass, Emma Richards is number three.

Driven? By way of comparison, most men are only insignificant wannabees.
Old 25 January 2003, 08:13   #26

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Garside
I was going to let that one pass until I read Peppers post.
Oh no, I've lit the fuse again! I'm going to go back to being quiet for a while
Old 29 January 2003, 22:08   #27

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
diesel o/b

I found this transparency by chance the other day. This is the 15hp Rugerinni diesel outboard they were using in Wexford, piccie must be 8/9 years old - I was out there writing for a boat fishing mag. Sorry about quality of pic, dropping the scanner does not seem to have enhanced its already mediocre performance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jpeg diesel crppd.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	1650