Old 15 September 2012, 16:12   #1

Town: poole
Make: proshore
Length: under 3m
Engine: outboard 2.5
ProShore 2.9 flooring

This is probable a silly question but i'm going for it. Have just bought a used inflatable and with the 4 floor panels in place it is too heavy for me to lift to where I want to launch it. Does anyone know if the boards add to rigidity and are vital or if it can be used without them?
Old 15 September 2012, 16:20   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
The floor panels are important

People on here fit two wheels on the transom and move the boat about like a trolley - if you fit the appropriate type for your launch site - you'll get on fine. Post a pic of the boat and describe the launch site and we'll keep you right.

Welcome to RIBnet, BTW.
Old 15 September 2012, 16:27   #3

Thanks for the response. I am able to fit wheels for launching elsewhere but the problem is that the path to where I want to launch is only about 2.5 - 3 foot wide which means I have to carry the sib on its side. I reckon I could just manage it without the boards in but as I am no longer a spring chicken, the extra weight is just that bit too much.
Old 15 September 2012, 16:35   #4
RIBnet Supporter

That snookers the wheels so...

Well, my first thought would be to buy a portable battery powered pump and walk the bits down to the water in stages (or on a sack truck with balloon wheels) and then inflate the boat. It's a lot of walking/work though...

My 2.7m has an airdeck (which weighs next to nothing) and I certainly wouldn't want to be carrying her anywhere. Removing the floor might not solve the problem anyway.

FYI, the floor provides rigidity for the boat, hold the keel in place (providing some directional control) and stops you falling through the single skinned floor. Not using it would (IMO) be an epic disaster
Old 15 September 2012, 20:09   #5

Town: London/North Yorks.
Make: Honwave T40AE
Engine: Mariner 15hp 2s
Hi ...
as you are having to have the boat up on its side ... why not consider portage wheels they use for canoes ...
something like Canoe / Kayak Trolley / Cart with seat. Fold away folding - pneumatic wheels | eBay should be ideal for your needs ... maybe a strap up and over to ensure it stays in place ...
Old 15 September 2012, 20:28   #6

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldbloke View Post
Hi ...
as you are having to have the boat up on its side ... why not consider portage wheels they use for canoes ...
something like Canoe / Kayak Trolley / Cart with seat. Fold away folding - pneumatic wheels | eBay should be ideal for your needs ... maybe a strap up and over to ensure it stays in place ...

Just about to suggest the same
Old 16 September 2012, 06:30   #7

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I acquired a bread truck (The ones supermarkets use to move bread around on) and adapted this for kit movements. With a small adaption of an upright for stability this would work. It's 4 wheels on a basic frame.

As would a lost trolley from B+Q as used for timber movements

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2012, 08:19   #8

Thanks for the feedback/sugestions - I was talking to a friend last night who also suggested a bread truck. As luck would have it he has one and is going to let me try it. Being new to this, I did not know about the Kayak trolley but it looks good and will be looking into it. WillK suggested taking it in sections to the beach before assembly. This was my original intention but someone with the same boat told me that it would not work as to get the boards in place I would need a firm flat surface to work on and that the sand would be too uneven - would you chaps agree or not?
Old 16 September 2012, 11:21   #9

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
Thanks for the feedback/sugestions - I was talking to a friend last night who also suggested a bread truck. As luck would have it he has one and is going to let me try it. Being new to this, I did not know about the Kayak trolley but it looks good and will be looking into it. WillK suggested taking it in sections to the beach before assembly. This was my original intention but someone with the same boat told me that it would not work as to get the boards in place I would need a firm flat surface to work on and that the sand would be too uneven - would you chaps agree or not?
Assembly,s down on the beach very quickly become a PITA.The Bread Trolly sounds like it might work,low COG,only problem might be sizes of wheels!
This might be more adaptable if you go the Kayak T route.
Kayak Trolley Cart For Sit on Top Kayak, fully adjustable | eBay