Old 14 June 2014, 20:43   #1

Town: Berks
Boat name: zaros
Make: hondawave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 hp
Poole harbour entrance

Hi
I know its a bit late to be asking but have just decided to go t Poole harbour tomorrow and for the first time we intend going out and round to shell bay and back.
We have never been through the entrance and have read there is a race as well as the chain ferry to be aware of. The ferry is easy we can see that but the race how strong is it , we will be 4&1/2 up in a 3.8 Honwave with a 20hp Tohatsu on the back will it be man enough, we should be going out on a rising tide and coming back on a falling tide- against the tide both trips.
Any comments gratefully received.
Regards
Honwave
Old 14 June 2014, 21:30   #2

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
There are many, many, people on here with far more intimate knowledge of the area than me but spring tides with a bit of wind over are not something to 'battle against' if you're not sure of your SIB's performance.

In wind over tide conditions you may find the engine 'man enough' but you and your passengers decidedly not.
Old 14 June 2014, 21:51   #3

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Best thing I can suggest is to head down as far as the Brownsea Island ferry and have a look from there, watch other boats coming past the sandbanks ferry and decide then whether the conditions are ok for you. Be mindful of the training bank which runs from the end of shall bay out towards old harry - you can cross that at high water (to get into Studland Bay without heading right out to the far marker post) but be very wary of it, there are low points and high points and the rocks that form it are pretty solid!!
Old 14 June 2014, 22:46   #4

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by honwave View Post
Hi
The ferry is easy we can see that

OP
http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/ouch-62889.html#post625873
Old 14 June 2014, 23:01   #5

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Mariner
Just avoid peak tidal flow times & you should be fine, though bear in mind tomorrow is big springs. Saying that it gets rough but not "that bad" you can always keep to the edges a bit & its a decent channel. I'll happilly take our 16ft boat through it with ease.

It will be busy so just tag in behind something bigger going through for a smooth ride
Old 16 June 2014, 15:05   #6

Town: Berks
Boat name: zaros
Make: hondawave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 hp
We did`nt go through

Thanks for the replies, in the end we did not go through - the weather was not good enough for the beach so went to Brownsea island and had a great day. We will go to Shell bay/Studland and will remember all your advice.
Thanks
Old 16 June 2014, 16:24   #7

I wouldn't recomend it when race is running, you have to also factor in other powerboats, fishing boats going through and the water can get rather messy through there, plus of course the ever present w**krs oops I meant jetskis hanging around and buzzing around at speed.

If you were going to try it then best keep to the starboard side as much as possible and cross there. But 4 and half people may be a tad iffy, depends like others have said on conditions. Perhaps find out when race likely to be running and drive round to the ferry point sandbanks end, there is a small car park so you can have a decent look.
Old 16 June 2014, 18:29   #8

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I wouldn't recomend it when race is running, you have to also factor in other powerboats, fishing boats going through and the water can get rather messy through there, plus of course the ever present w**krs oops I meant jetskis hanging around and buzzing around at speed.

If you were going to try it then best keep to the starboard side as much as possible and cross there. But 4 and half people may be a tad iffy, depends like others have said on conditions. Perhaps find out when race likely to be running and drive round to the ferry point sandbanks end, there is a small car park so you can have a decent look.
I run a ski and a rib and take offence to your comment, the last couple of idiots I've witnessed on the water were driving ribs!
It's never the craft it's ALWAYS the human element!
I'd also be interested in how many people are injured on PWC's compared to other watercraft, unfortunately I don't need to tell you that ribs have been recently in the news for the wrong reasons

Oh, FYI, I and a couple of mates on skis recently spent two weekends on the Solent entertaining a group of children from Belarus CCLL - The main page who were staying on the island, we covered all expenses ourselves and the children went away with huge grins , we aren't all w##nkers
Old 16 June 2014, 20:02   #9

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I think i saw honwave launching as i did...

Unfortunately Poole has its share of knobs in all things floating. Ribs..(one dropped on slip, one hard boat with amphibious range river, skis doing 35knts ten yards of beach, sailors trying to sail up Quay, rowers claiming ownership as they're rowing..knobs of all forms...). Equally good examples of all... Is just a busy place.. But the good ones never get noticed..
Old 16 June 2014, 20:04   #10

Is ok.. He had low profile tyres on it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1402949024014.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	95726  
Old 16 June 2014, 20:09   #11

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Thats a dodgy door seal away from a flooded BECM and total electrical failure
Old 16 June 2014, 20:16   #12

Made me wince.. Boat hard in reverse.....i know they have a published wading depth but that's proper salt water... And he just parked it and left it for a few hours to start corroding...