Old 19 March 2012, 17:47   #1

Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9 Hosses!
Poole harbour and river Frome

Hi

Just after a little local knowledge about the above, we are off camping in 4 weeks time and intend on staying at the redcliffe campsite near wareham.

Is the river easily navigable at most tide heights, I seem to be reading conflicting things about if it is or not. Also in real time how long would it take us to get from wareham out to the sea? I know that its pretty busy around there so we may stay in the harbour area, but if we are feeling adventurous we may want to take a little trip along the coast, boat is a zodiac 3.4rolla and 10hp.

I have done a fair bit of reading on here today, off sick with a broken finger, but as i said there seems to be quite a lot of conflicting information here.

Many thanks in advance.

Nick
Old 19 March 2012, 18:24   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
from the farm site to poole would take you 35mins approx and to the chain ferry 45 mins in your sib , just as a reminder really, even with a sib, at high tide still keep within the sticks as easily can get caught out. not a bad site and a very nice cruise along the river
Old 19 March 2012, 19:02   #3

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
or take the boat to one of the slips in poole harbour closer to sea, or even swanage or kimmeridge, quite a bit of tide runs along the coast once you get a few hundred yards out, bear this in mind with fuel consumption and range. I think there is nearly 4 knots out there on springs..might be wrong though
Old 19 March 2012, 21:44   #4

Town: Stotfold
Boat name: kimozo 2
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 115 efi 4 st
poole/wareham

Hi been to redcliff farm a couple of times, not a bad site,pretty basic for facilitys no shop etc, but easy to launch boat, small inflatable may be ok aprox 2.5 hrs either side of h/w, there is a channel down center of river, if you dont mind getting wet could prob launch with launch wheels any time, as said about 30min to harbour 45mins to ferry ,channel is well marked by sticks/bouys do keep inside as harbour is quite shallow in most places. can be fairly rough even in harbour and a good tide run at entrance . can also launch at baiter park or there is another small slip cant remember name of road ,but have to unload boat befor barrier and push in . note there are 2x h/w 2x l/w in poole harbour.

Trevor
Old 22 March 2012, 15:01   #5

Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9 Hosses!
Thanks for the replies, we have had a small change of plans now and we are going to to stay at Rockley park site, its cheap $60 for 5 nights and that includes use of all facilities and electric hook up for the tent, I enquired about launching there and was told $36 on further digging I was told I could park the car in the car park and launch from the site beach for nothing! Bargain boating there and saving a 35 minute trip down the river.

Any good advice on what to expect in the harbour area...anywhere good to visit?

nick