Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4bus View Post
What's a spun prop?
Props have a middle rubber core that is factory vulcanized, when gets old the prop spins on its core and prop looses pushing efficiency. Props are not repairable unless they are vulcanized back at a prop shop, usually must buy a new one. It's like buying new track shoes. If you plan sending engine to a shop, they should check if having a spun prop already before going any deeper. Will be more wallet friendly...

Happy Boating
Old 30 April 2014, 15:30   #22

Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
We spun the prop on our new motor and had the hub replaced. It is a simple repair for a prop shop and puts the prop in new condition for a reasonable cost.

I was surprised when the Michigan Wheel folks told me they now just press in the new hubs without cement as was done in the past.
Old 30 April 2014, 15:39   #23

Town: Essex
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: 30hp
As someone else has said, just take any gps, phone car one etc, and see what speed you are getting. Boats never feel fast when its mirror flat, you find yourself twisting the tiller and being surprised that's it.
Old 02 May 2014, 21:02   #24

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankc View Post
I was surprised when the Michigan Wheel folks told me they now just press in the new hubs without cement as was done in the past.
Not all brands are fast repairable as just presssing a new hub in, will depend on the brand. If you press a new hub into a prop that's factory vulcanized will spun again shortly, worst if needing constant wot applications at high load. Works ok if runing slow, but that's is another story.

It's same vulcanizing method used on engine supports, when middle hub breaks, you send it back to have it vulcanized or you buy a new one.

Happy Boating
Old 02 May 2014, 23:00   #25

Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
The folks who did my repair do Michigan Wheel, Evinrude, and Mercury props for sure. You should see their arbor press. If it groans, I will beat you to the door of the shop.

We also tried a Michigan Wheel prop with replaceable hub which did not do anything for me in salt water. Once salt sets up around the hub, you have to go right back to the arbor press to remove the hub. Great sales gimmick, but it presents problems also.