Old 15 June 2020, 17:02   #1

Town: Goodyear
Make: Saturn Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 25hp EFI
Outboard selection - 25hp or 20hp?

Hello,

New SIB owner here. Thanks to everyone for this forum. Ive just started reading through. I need help with my motor choice.

I live in Arizona, USA. I have a 13’ SIB that will take up to 30hp. Would really like a 25hp Suzuki df25a. I like this one for the power and how quiet it is. The weight could be an issue though. Ive been searching the web for transport ideas. I don’t have a trailer but I want the larger motor considering my next boat may be a longer, hypalon boat or even a RIB.

Will I be sorry getting a 25hp without a trailer? The 3 cylinder 25hp just seems much more capable than the 20hp.

Thank you for your help.
Old 16 June 2020, 05:18   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Engines are awkward things to carry. It's not just the weight, but the shape, and the distribution of the weight.

There are those who prioritise power above everything, and those who prioritise light weight and convenience. For everyone else, it's a compromise.

I would not want to carry a 25hp or 30hp far by hand. For me, the combination of a 13 ft boat (4 metres) and a 25 or 30 hp motor would make a trailer necessary.
Old 16 June 2020, 08:24   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As Mike says really.

The 25hp is a massive weight increase when moving by hand... getting on for 50% more... and the thing is if you are thinking even a small RIB next it might not be big enough for that. To me there is little point lugging about an outboard which is a struggle for a future boat you might/might not get. just have the right manageable outboard for the boat you have now to enjoy it the best.
Old 16 June 2020, 09:26   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
18 kg difference the 25 is a 3 cylinder engine and runs smooth and quite worth the weight difference to me OMO. the 20 at 44 kg is still a lump and i would be transporting it on a sack barrow the same as the 25 if i didnt trailer the boat.
Old 16 June 2020, 18:41   #5

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Much will depend on how the boat is used. I launch and recover solo far more often than with assistance. Dragging a boat, even on wheels, across a soft beach or up a steep slipway, ore even getting the wheels to move when there is mud below the waterline, can be hard work.

I also sometimes launch my small SIB down a drop — for example over the side of a canal towpath or mooring, up to a metre drop. In such circumstances, a motor I can easily carry from the garage to the car becomes a major challenge. My smaller 2T engine is a real boon.

I have had some of my longest trips and best adventures with a small engine, liftable with one hand, easily passed up or down when launching or recovering.

However, there is no doubt that when the conditions are right and you want to cover the distance fast, a big engine is the thing to have.

A sack truck is a fine thing on a firm surface, less so on sand, mud or pebbles.

With my sailing dinghy, I've spent 3 years perfecting a launch and recovery technique that means I am never worried that I won't be able to face it at the end of a long day. It makes a huge difference to the enjoyment of the whole trip. My current SIB is the smallest I've ever had, but the ease of launching and recovery makes it the most relaxing to use.

However, if you'll be launching on shallow gradients, on firm surfaces, and perhaps with the help of a crew, maybe your requirements will be different from mine. We are all in this for different, if overlapping, reasons.

Whatever you get, make sure you enjoy using it.
Old 16 June 2020, 22:24   #6

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Don’t buy an engine for a boat you don’t have.....
Old 17 June 2020, 02:12   #7

Town: kansas city
I would just get a trailer for it and then get the 25 hp motor. problem solved.

It's the american way!
Old 17 June 2020, 03:39   #8

Town: Goodyear
Make: Saturn Boats
Engine: Suzuki 25hp EFI
Thank you so much for all the great replies! These perspectives are very helpful.

I still lean toward the quiet power of the Suzuki 25. No space for a trailer at the moment but I’m working to change that. Is there a popular choice for a SIB trailer in the U.S.?

Thanks again.
Old 17 June 2020, 10:33   #9

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
We can all go blah, blah, blah but it's as simple as willk's golden rule posted here sometime back and summarised thus:

Quote:
Buy the most powerful engine your boat is plated for AND that you can comfortably manhandle from car boot/truck/house/garage to boat/shore/slipway/launch point.
Old 20 June 2020, 07:42   #10

Town: West Sacramento
Make: Dynous
Length: under 3m
The 2020 25 hp Yamaha is 125lbs. In my youth I could easily handle that.
Now not so much. I’ll gladly take weight over power.

Tags
outboard