Old 27 July 2021, 16:11   #81

Length: 3m +
Yup. My original plan had been to use the 4hp for them to learn and to put the boat on the Thames a few times but logistics have caught up with me in that this summer is going to be quite short and the girls just want to go to Beaulieu. As such, my thinking is that they can learn there and when we reach Gin's farm I will unwind the governor.

I learned on a Dory with wheel and lever controls which is much easier and less risky than a tiller with a twist throttle.
Old 27 July 2021, 17:14   #82

Painted up and found a small rubber cap for the screw end to cushion it against the plate.

Old 27 July 2021, 17:27   #83

Horizon VHF also arrived today. Not much traffic on C16 in the Cotswolds!

With the transom wheel axles now beefed up, I'm pretty sure we're ready to head out again when the diary and the weather align!

Also finished hard wiring the battery to the pump to make that a little simpler.

Next time out I'm going to bring some chalk to mark up on the hull where I'd like to add some hood handles for the girls up forward and one for myself aft.
Old 27 July 2021, 17:34   #84

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yep you must get that glue pot on the stove.

BTW Cotswolds at the Broadway end have a 120yr family connection for us.
Old 27 July 2021, 17:38   #85

>>>why I always snigger when folks say you need at least a 15HP to safely go to sea nowadays. How would they have got on in those days ?

I know... we only had the larger Seagull on our 4-berth bilge keel sailing boat... about 3hp I reckon to push near on 20ft along coastal cruising.
Old 27 July 2021, 18:02   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>why I always snigger when folks say you need at least a 15HP to safely go to sea nowadays. How would they have got on in those days ?

I know... we only had the larger Seagull on our 4-berth bilge keel sailing boat... about 3hp I reckon to push near on 20ft along coastal cruising.
True. Plenty of sailing boats were being pushed along by gulls back in the day. Just pretty awful to have to listen to that noise when they took two hours to go past your mooring against the tide.

I'm only a few miles down the road from Broadway in Bourton on the Hill.
Old 27 July 2021, 18:24   #87

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
There’s a difference between pushing along a displacement hull with a few horses, & trying to get a planing hull over the hump with insufficient pony power.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2021, 16:19   #88

Just back from a few days camping at Henley. Had thought about taking the Excel but given the weather didn't look ideal I opted for good old Redcrest and the 4. Managed a great day out with a quick, easy launch at Henley then up the river for lunch in Wargrave before finally spotting the inevitable: a rope swing over the water. There's always one tucked away on that stretch of the river.

A lovely day out and a big thanks to the keepers at Marsh Lock as the boat registration at the EA hadn't gone through and they made no fuss about a clerical issue that would have ended the day before it began.

I think the trailer will be ready early next week so looking forward to collecting that and prepping the Excel for a return to Beaulieu or Calshot.
Old 13 August 2021, 20:00   #89

Went to collect the Extreme trailer today. I have to say that it's a very simple and well made bit of kit and the company were a pleasure to deal with.

Took a couple of hours to set it up for the boat and then stick on the BoatWorld cover that I'd bought in preparation.

All in very pleased and I think it will make using the boat much easier. The plan is to unload the boat on arrival and still hand launch.
Old 14 August 2021, 14:55   #90

The Honwave hand grabs have arrived. The blue is a very close match, which is good.

Have marked out the first pair which will be for the children to use when sitting either on the deck when planing or on the tubes when appropriate.

The second pair will go between the benches and be for me.
Old 14 August 2021, 16:13   #91

They are going to look like an OE fit... perfect.
Old 14 August 2021, 17:35   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
They are going to look like an OE fit... perfect.
Here's hoping that once done it doesn't look like Stevie Wonder was doing his apprenticeship that week.

I'd value your opinion on the rear ones. The ideal position for them is where the seat fixings are, between the pair so the handle patch would span various sections of PVC as per this image. I'm not seeing that this would be an issue so long as good attention is paid to getting the patch worked well into the contours?

Old 14 August 2021, 18:13   #93

No it will be fine and for my way the trusty wallpaper roller would see the patch following the contours of the fabric below.
Old 14 August 2021, 18:18   #94

Thanks. Somewhere I have a good one inch roller that I used when fitting sound matting to the car. Should be fun looking for it. Failing that I'll soften the edges of a wood block as that should do the trick.
Old 18 August 2021, 07:53   #95

All 4 grab handles are now here. As is the glue and solvent.

Planned application is to clean both surfaces with MEK then when ready to start give another wipe to soften the surface a little then a thin coat of glue on both surfaces and leave to go pretty much dry to the touch at which point another coat on each and when tacky start joining.

I'm mulling over whether to do this with the boat inflated which would be much easier or whether to deflate so more pressure can be applied. One side of me is assuming deflated but your typical roller is going to break before you can apply that sort of pressure so inflated should be fine and these are grab handles rather than puncture repairs etc.

The other issue is the humidity. It's in the 90s but in Glos it nearly always is so I could be waiting a decade for the stars to align of low humidity and me having the time so would a fan heater on a gentle setting be sufficient to combat the risk of moisture condensation during the endothermic part of the initial curing process?
Old 18 August 2021, 09:06   #96

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Tim, are you doing it indoors or out? If indoors can you beg, borrow a dehumidifier.
Old 18 August 2021, 09:14   #97

Outdoors in the barn.
Old 18 August 2021, 09:32   #98

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
I'd use a fan heater with no heat if possible, or at least on its lowest setting.
I'd also attach them with the tubes 2/3 inflated, allows for any tube creases to be smoothed out.
Old 18 August 2021, 11:03   #99

I have the SIB fully deflated for leak patches and fully inflated for accessories.

Re the humidity are you sure you are at 90% all the time? Just looked at Ventusky and you area looks to be predicted around 60% for Sunday. The excellent "actuals" online map Mattster linked the other day shows you as just under 70% today??

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

I find it often drops up to 10% between late morning and early afternoon so timing in the day is important.
Old 18 August 2021, 12:12   #100

Thanks. We're into the 60s now and the job is under way!!

Tags
outboard