Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Nice one Tim enjoy your new Volaire 390 and your new to you Yam.

I thought it was a Volante [emoji848]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2021, 19:44   #22

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I thought it was a Volante [emoji848]
Opps
Old 06 May 2021, 19:54   #23

Thanks Steve.

Hopefully, it'll have enough poke to keep on the plane easily enough. And I suspect much more importantly, to tow a doughnut!!

The prop is a little chewed. I've never so much as put a scratch on a prop but I'm guessing that this one has been spun up over some beach cobbles a few times.

I'll file off the burrs but does a lightly chewed prop have a strong impact on performance?
Old 06 May 2021, 19:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
Thanks Steve.

Hopefully, it'll have enough poke to keep on the plane easily enough. And I suspect much more importantly, to tow a doughnut!!

The prop is a little chewed. I've never so much as put a scratch on a prop but I'm guessing that this one has been spun up over some beach cobbles a few times.

I'll file off the burrs but does a lightly chewed prop have a strong impact on performance?
Others with far more experience than I will be able to give solid advice, but in my opinion I would say it will have quite a bit of a detrimental effect.
You may also want to look at using a different pitch prop for when you are towing the kids on a ringo.
Old 06 May 2021, 20:01   #25

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>an old 2 stroke Yamaha. Cracking engines and only 34kg... found one today. A 2012.

Excellent. I've only just sold mine and it was a great quality robust motor. You did well to get a 2012 model.

Don't file prop burrs off... it changes balance and loses material that might help if you ever got it pro refurbed. Hammer it back to shape against a wooden block.
Old 06 May 2021, 21:33   #26

Town: Heanor, Derbyshire
Boat name: Bob.
Make: Ex Vol390 + Van485
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 2.5/9.9/20hp
RIBase
I have a Volante 390 (replaced me Honwave T38) used it last weekend with a 5hp..... ssssslllllllllooooooowww and my Suzuki DT9.9.. a reasonable speed..

I just got a call today to confirm my new Suzuki 20hp is ready to collect. I considered the Tohatsu efi, but felt the Suzuki was worth the extra cost.

As others have said, most of the efi engines weigh the same between 9.9 and 20hp. however resell value stays stronger on the higher hp versions.
Old 07 May 2021, 06:23   #27

Thanks. This is why I'm taking a gamble on an old 15. There seems no point in buying a new one as it has no advantages over a 20. At least the 2 stroke is two thirds the initial outlay and 10kg lighter so there is a fair start to any kind of trade off.

It's not a buyer's market for outboards this season but I can imagine that like with RIBs when many new participants spend a season buying fuel, winter paying fees and Spring paying servicing then lower natural demand along with a bit of extra supply might make it a better market for kitting out.

Hopefully, the 15 will do the basic job of putting a smile on the children's faces and the lower power will probably help with their learning. By the end of the season I want them to be able to handle a boat in harbour better than most of the adults.
Old 07 May 2021, 06:24   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>an old 2 stroke Yamaha. Cracking engines and only 34kg... found one today. A 2012.

Excellent. I've only just sold mine and it was a great quality robust motor. You did well to get a 2012 model.

Don't file prop burrs off... it changes balance and loses material that might help if you ever got it pro refurbed. Hammer it back to shape against a wooden block.
Good point. Thanks. An excuse to dig out the metalwork hammers that are somewhere in the workshop.
Old 08 May 2021, 08:54   #29

Decided on a replacement prop from ssl in the end. Despite being a Chinese copy, it struck me as £40 to rule out any prop or minor performance issues being prudent.

Given how this boat is going to get used (2 hour drive, set up and then fitting in around tides, all with a pair of children, I simply don't anticipate having lots of time to fettle and deal with much on the day.

Dropped the gearbox oil out yesterday. Black and slightly eggy so very much on the turn but no feel of grit in it and the magnet found nothing. Will give it a flush with some 10/40 engine oil while waiting for the right lube to arrive.

Then I'll drop the casing off and have a look at the water pump as well as back flushing some water from the engine.

I also removed the transom bolts as they were stiff from the outboard clearly spending years on a tender. Ran a die over the bolts and tapped the holes so they now turn with just a finger and will allow peace of mind that I'll have fitted the outboard as best as possible.

I imagine there's nothing sadder than watching your outboard pop off, other than being able to see it resting on the bottom!!

Pretty much just waiting for the boat to arrive and to do some practice set ups. And more importantly, as the Excels seem quite heavy, learn the best way to hoist 60kg into the car, although I've also preempted that being a ballache by including their tow hitch rack in the purchase.
Old 08 May 2021, 09:31   #30

All preps sounding good.

For your use you may not worry to the Nth degree but as a prop obsessive I tried a large prop selection on my Yamaha 15 and only the OE Yamaha props ran true to their pitch. If interested see posts #30-#33 in this thread...

https://www.rib.net/forum/f36/yamaha...ice-81611.html
Old 08 May 2021, 19:36   #31

Quote:
All preps sounding good.

For your use you may not worry to the Nth degree but as a prop obsessive I tried a large prop selection on my Yamaha 15 and only the OE Yamaha props ran true to their pitch. If interested see posts #30-#33 in this thread...

Thanks. I'll have a read. As you suggest, for what I'll be doing I shouldn't end up needing to be picky over props. That's the hope.
Old 09 May 2021, 07:54   #32

Quote:
All preps sounding good.

An interesting read when I finally got to it. Including the obligatory 4th page forum argument over nothing.

As an aside, given the flat bottom nature of the Excel at the rear what would be your crude guesstimate for how deep/shallow the cavitation plate above the prop as a starting point?

In my mind, given that the plan is to use the boat in Poole, Chichester and the Beaulieu River so chop would be expected as a constant, I would be randomly assuming the prop should be as deep as possible but there seem to be plenty of posts regards chocking short shaft motors up but none about wishing they could go lower so I'm beginning to suspect my logic may be back to front?

A second question is that I saw a thread from you re the 12v outlet on your old 15 yam and I was looking at the socket on mine the other day and finding myself thinking that in 2021 converting it so that a DC line could be plugged in and run to a bike battery then USB charging solution in an under seat bag might be considerably more useful as a means to cover off emergency lighting as well as emergency communication power?

Did you ever look further into the outlet?
Old 09 May 2021, 08:16   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
As an aside, given the flat bottom nature of the Excel at the rear what would be your crude guesstimate for how deep/shallow the cavitation plate above the prop as a starting point?
Hi Tim, myself, Jeff Stevens, Pikey Dave, I think Pumpkinking and probably others with Excel's have found that the best height for the OB to be mounted is sat on the transom without any packers. I think its because the tube cones are so large that the bow rides high in the water negating the need to raise the cavitation plate.
Old 09 May 2021, 08:59   #34

Thanks Steve. That's good to know. Not a fan of messing with outboards when afloat. It's a recipe for putting one's back out.

The boat should be relatively well balanced despite me being over 6 foot and with a penchant for a good pie. 35kg outboard over the transom but a 25L tank up in the bows along with two 20kg ballast units that should eventually sit where asked to after a couple of dozen ever louder vocal inputs.

We always travel very light due to the paranoia of having two girls and therefore the potential for half the contents of the home to be considered essential travel items, so apart from safety basics we have one 30L wet bag each that we each must carry ourselves. This means they're really good at packing what's really needed while developing the cunning to quietly stash their heavier items in my bag when I'm outside packing the car.
Old 09 May 2021, 10:12   #35

>>>re the 12v outlet on your old 15 yam... Did you ever look further into the outlet?

No but others have since if you use forum search. In the end I completely removed the need for 12v power to save weight and add simplicity.

>>>An interesting read when I finally got to it. Including the obligatory 4th page forum argument over nothing.

Yes our resident troll of the time was keenly policing any perceived flaws in poster's viewpoints.

>>>assuming the prop should be as deep as possible but there seem to be plenty of posts regards chocking short shaft motors up but none about wishing they could go lower so I'm beginning to suspect my logic may be back to front?

Prop needs to be just right not deep. Deeper prop causes drag, spray and bow lift. As Steve says mostly a SIB will run OK as supplied and it's largely the exception (unless you have an Aerotec) that fiddling is needed.
Old 10 May 2021, 09:57   #36

Thanks. Bolts free on the outboard so progress continues there. New anode and prop arrived this morning.

As you warned, the new prop doesn't look absolutely identical but it's clean and for my planned use I'm not sure prop perfection is essential.

My mind has moved forward to other things as jobs progress.

We aren't going to be anchoring much and certainly not for hours while fishing but I'd like to have one on board. Somewhere I have a 3kg grapple one but I suspect the most common use will be on a beach and a Bruce strikes me as smarter just because it won't have any parts sticking up for children to possibly get hurt on. What I don't want to do is over anchor so for a 4m sib which if afloat wouldn't be left at anchor would it be feasible to consider less than 3kg?

The other item is a radio. It strikes me as common sense to have one on board. I don't envisage being anywhere that I can't row myself out of any issues, even taking tides into account along with rubber dinghies being about the worst to row. I'm assuming the cheapest, most basic Standard Horizon will cover all bases?

Spray hood! This'll be the fun one. There don't appear to be any for sale and to be honest, I'd just want a low one that doesn't sit more than 12 inches above the tubes. The girls are likely to be down on the floor and they are still at the age where access to a 'den' however uncomfortable staves off most risk of excessive emotional behaviour at the end of a long day.

I have a couple of metres of yellow PVC fabric, glue, brass eyelets and a pair of 4mm cf kite rods lying about so I think I'll have a go at some bespoke tailoring.
Old 15 July 2021, 20:57   #37

Well, over two months gone and it's looking like I might be putting the bot in the water for the first time this weekend.

Weather looks good, not sure about winds yet and tides aren't ideal but the plan is to head down to Beaulieu on Saturday, release the children to feed the ducks and do a spot of crabbing while I set up and launch a Buckler's Hard. Chosen this spot simply because I know it like the back of my hand having spent most weekends of my childhood there, my children know it and I'm relaxed letting them go up to the shop and then be near the water as I'm setting up but also, it's a good potter up to the mouth of the river for testing the boat out for the first time. Calshot was less ideal for a maiden voyage.

Hopefully, the pub will also be open and Incan treat the children to the heritage experience of being left outside with a packet of ready salted and a half of lemonade.

I've also planned an outing on Sunday!! I reckon the weather won't be great this summer so I'm going to grab opportunities when they arrive. On Sunday we'll head down to Hayling Island and have a play around Chichester Harbour.

At 2.5 hours drive each way I'm certainly going to feel the joys of living as far from the sea as possible in the UK.

Will finally be able to test a couple of mods:

The boat wheels fitting to the carry bag so it can be moved about easily:

And an easy to remove governor so the children can start learning to helm without the risk of panic throttle errors:

Old 16 July 2021, 09:09   #38

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Well done on getting the excel chistened this weekend. Hope conditions are kind to you, and you and the family have a great time.

I hope to get a chance to have another go setting up the 390 and the suzuki this weekend and to have a second bash at packing it away! (We struggled last time and I will be on my own this time as well)....so will he interesting even getting the bag out of the house if nothing else.

Will have to get a sturdy OB stand made as well if I have enough wood....although a bit awkward to grip....at least I can move it ok short distances. The bag I really struggle with and don't think it would last very long if just dragging it.

Your wheel idea or similar might be an idea, especially if I can get a better bag.
Old 16 July 2021, 09:46   #39

>>> in the water for the first time this weekend.

The weather is due to be great most places so I really hope you get your outing/s. Look forward to a report and pics.
Old 16 July 2021, 14:30   #40

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
The bag I really struggle with and don't think it would last very long if just dragging it.

Your wheel idea or similar might be an idea, especially if I can get a better bag.

Just get 4 small castors and a bit of Ply and make a small skate, with it under one end of the boat bag its easy to lift the other enough to drag it where its needed. When you get to the car, put the skate in then tip the bag onto it and slide into position.

Tags
outboard