Old 20 June 2020, 21:40   #1

Town: Morecambe
Make: Honwave T38 IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15HP Tohatsu EFI
Outboard and Sib in a Car Boot

Has anyone got any good tips for getting a folding SIB and outboard in an out of a car boot? Any fancy trolleys designed for it?

I've got a honwave T38 and a Tohatsu 15hp EFI. They are both a pain in the ass to get in and out of the car, especially the Tohatsu which can only be stored one side down. The car is a Seat Ateca so not a small car.

Thanks
Ben
Old 21 June 2020, 11:36   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Simple answer to all such problems is practice. You will find a way and then wonder why it was ever a problem.

My boat is a 310 with plywood floor sections. Floor sections go in the boot. Rolled hull goes on top, crossways to the car. My small engine will fit on top of the hull. If I'm taking the larger engine, I drop the narrower (1/3) seat back and put the leg of the engine through the gap, with the head resting on the rolled hull. Anchor box, bow bag and fuel tank fit where there are gaps.
Old 21 June 2020, 18:51   #3

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Do you have a receiver hitch on the car? If so get an outboard trolley, and mount a tube onto it so it fits in the receiver. Tilt the tube into the receiver, lift the outboard up, slide it into the receiver, and put the pin in. Well after loading the boat into the trunk. A rack mounted to the trolley somehow could also store the gas can. No smells in the car!

I have one of these, and do not use it often, but it is nice to have at certain times.
Old 22 June 2020, 08:22   #4

Town: Morecambe
Make: Honwave T38 IE
Engine: 15HP Tohatsu EFI
I've been thinking about building a custom shaped flat bed of plywood that fits the shape of the boot and gives a flat platform to slide things in and out. Dont know how complicated it will be.

its awkward as you can only rest the Tohatsu on its side, tiller side down. So the tiller, gearstick etc catch on any uneven parts of the car boot floor.

Either that or buy a van!
Old 22 June 2020, 09:30   #5

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Length: 6m +
Engine: 100 Yammy
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhben View Post
its awkward as you can only rest the Tohatsu on its side, tiller side down. So the tiller, gearstick etc catch on any uneven parts of the car boot floor.
How about a bit of heavy plywood cut to shape that fits around the tiller etc? Then put wheels on the bottom and the whole thing will roll in and out nicely.
Old 22 June 2020, 17:23   #6

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
My first sib an Avon spitfire 13’ with a 35hp. It was a demo boat ride. The boat, motor, floors and 6 gal gas tank were all in a VW bug. The key to having it work was youth! Plain and simple.

Tags
outboard, sib