Old 18 January 2023, 07:07   #1

Town: London
Boat name: 154
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15c 1980
Optimum roll up sib for Yam 8 hp for touring

Hello! from your experience which particular secondhand roll up sibs with air deck would you look out for to buy that pairs well with a super Yam 8hp 2 stroke.?

I'm looking to put a set up together for the spring/summer that fits nicely on the rear tow hitched platform on my camper (saving the space inside).

Its rated at at least 50 kg tow wieght, the Yam 8 is 27 kg so I'm hoping the sib is also around that wieght.
I can add support struts to the platform if needed.

OK thanks for any pointers.Click image for larger version

Name:	20230117_155333.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	142052
Old 18 January 2023, 07:39   #2

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi, not many SIBs with an Airdeck at 23kg that can take 8hp! I don't think anything over 2.6 metres will be much less than 30kg.
Something such as the Boatworld Air V 270 could fit the bill (29kg), or maybe the Excel Volante 260 (30kg) it has a seperate airdeck which could fit inside the camper reducing the weight on the rack, but you've not told us what you want out of your sib.
Might be a good idea to give a little more info, such as how many people, where you intend to use it etc
Old 18 January 2023, 21:08   #3

Yes, sorry a vague start to actual needs and carrying allowance.

2-3 people max but mainly for 1or 2. Inshore fishing/ leisure, estuary mooching about etc.

Weight - Fishing kit plus all usual day boat needs in suitabke colman ice box seat crate. Oars, either side mounted or strapped in and the usual anchor and rope up front, fuel tank to mid - astern.

The tow hitch rack ends can also be supported diagonaly direct from the chassis thus illuminating the max wieght recommendion on just a solo hitch fix, thus, the platform will then be intergreated to the overall chassis gross allowance, which is loads of kgs.

Platform size is 60 cm x 120 cm plus some overhang if needed.

I'm the past! I've liked sibs up to 3m but they have been older, heavier hypolons which are not called for here on this quicker set up.

OK, all shouts welcomed.
Thanks
Old 18 January 2023, 21:11   #4

Sorry that was meant to read - in the past.
Old 18 January 2023, 21:25   #5

2 - 3 people in such a small sib is going to be a very tight squeeze, as is 2 people with fishing gear. Why not a small camping trailer? It would give you far more options and allow you to go for a bigger sib.
Old 19 January 2023, 06:45   #6

Ah, I have no space for storing any form of trailer.
I could use the whole platform for just the sib and the rest of the kit inside ( the engine being precious this would be best).
Old 19 January 2023, 08:12   #7

That would give you a choice of a bigger sib which I think you would find more comfortable and stable. Excel Volante 330, Honwave T32, Boatworld Air V 330. Obviously it depends upon what's available on the used market when you come to buy.
Old 19 January 2023, 17:00   #8

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I wouldn't be too fixated on getting a larger hull , we used an excell 2.9m with the same yam 8 as a tender & regularly had 4 & a dog in the boat for tender duties but it wouldnt plane at that .I would also take the two teenage kids on fishing expeditions when on holidays. It would just plane with one adult & 2 teenagers with the 8 we then swapped to a 280 ribeye aluminium hull which performs better with the same engine & we still do fishing excursions & exploring when away with the younger 2 kids & still manage with the available space. I'd be concerned going larger you might struggle to plane which would take the edge off the single or two person trips especially if they would be the main use. Personally I'd rather have the odd cramped trip & have the better performance for the majority of your usage. The weight also becomes a bigger factor as you get bigger. 10 or 15 kg might not sound much but with something such an awkward shape it can be a pain (literally).

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 19 January 2023, 19:08   #9

The operative word you used Ken was "tender", and I'd agree below 3 metres as a supplement to your main craft is probably a good choice. However, as a one craft person I'd be frustrated with anything smaller than 3.3 metres
Old 19 January 2023, 20:29   #10

I have options on other craft sibs already for particular day trips as and when.
On a trailer, stored, a nice lump Avon 4m Typhoon with a 30A Yam/Mariner.

A 3.8m Honwave air deck (needs glue work mind) with either the above engine, or a 15 Yam/Mariner.

A 2.4m Zodiac tender with 4hp Yam for single purpose mucking about.

All these craft have thier attributes but none compliment the Yam 8 hp for general there and back etc and off again.

I will look close at the recommendations mentioned so far.
Thanks to all.
Old 19 January 2023, 20:33   #11

Wtf !
Old 19 January 2023, 21:46   #12

Different boats and engines for different waters during the calander seasons i guess.

Safe ones on choppy waters, speeder ones to favorite fishing marks and back in time and small fun tenders for calmer inshore/ inlet sessions.

I started this thread to seek out whats a good 8tcompliment sib for the Yam 8 thats quality, light and portable.
I think there's been some great suggestions ive not known of so far and ill be looking for them on sale.
Thanks all again.
Old 19 January 2023, 21:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I wouldn't be too fixated on getting a larger hull , we used an excell 2.9m with the same yam 8 as a tender & regularly had 4 & a dog in the boat for tender duties but it wouldnt plane at that .I would also take the two teenage kids on fishing expeditions when on holidays. It would just plane with one adult & 2 teenagers with the 8 we then swapped to a 280 ribeye aluminium hull which performs better with the same engine & we still do fishing excursions & exploring when away with the younger 2 kids & still manage with the available space. I'd be concerned going larger you might struggle to plane which would take the edge off the single or two person trips especially if they would be the main use. Personally I'd rather have the odd cramped trip & have the better performance for the majority of your usage. The weight also becomes a bigger factor as you get bigger. 10 or 15 kg might not sound much but with something such an awkward shape it can be a pain (literally).

Thank very much. thats reads as great experienced advice on the multi use of the optimum sib required that fits my kit and needs. There will be mostly 1 or 2 or occasionaly 3 of us on any given outing.
Old 19 January 2023, 22:35   #14

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
The operative word you used Ken was "tender", and I'd agree below 3 metres as a supplement to your main craft is probably a good choice. However, as a one craft person I'd be frustrated with anything smaller than 3.3 metres
He wants a match for an 8hp engine he presumably already has, above 3m sibs are going to be too lardy for an 8hp. His normal useage is 1 or 2 folk so a sub 3m is the sweet spot. Whilst our boat may be a tender our usage is quite similar to the ops. When we are away on trips/holidays the sib/rib gets used for local exploring, fishing trips & taxi duties. His restrictions are similar to ours IE weight & storage size on the rear platform are the restrictive elements.

Old 20 January 2023, 17:59   #15

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
above 3m sibs are going to be too lardy for an 8hp. His normal useage is 1 or 2 folk so a sub 3m is the sweet spot.

Not sure I’d agree with that.
In my experience, a 3.5m sib will plane easier than a sub 3m sib with the same motor and load. The 20 or even 30 kilo weight saving of the smaller boat has negligible benefit against the extra lift provided by a longer waterline.

Length matters (ooer! missus)…if you can lift it/transport it go as big as you can. Never heard anyone complain my sibs too big. Apart from more room the extra length will provide far better sea keeping and a more compliant ride in choppy conditions.
Old 20 January 2023, 20:12   #16

Yes, im sorry but this advice seek is a bit finite to just me and my needs alone.

Perhaps even too acute being in search for the most suitable portable craft that leads to a whole and general happy constant success each time used and that is all based around the sole use of my super portable and reliable Yam 8hp.

Looking at both new and used craft via the internet, we all know there are costly superior craft, then theres cheap economy craft and then there's the tried and tested and used brands with good life left in them for occasmional use and reliability everytime etc.

I have been in parenting mode for ages now and so funds for me alone are always stretched beyond the basics, but that aint gonna stop me from getting a good reliable kit together for when the opportunity to hit the water kicks in.

I just don't have time to be able to test out and then have to possibly trade on, such unknown buys.

There is no actual wieght restriction now on my platform as I'm adding diagonal supports to the chassis.

And so to the acute point of this titled thread.
Advice sort from your experiences of perfect size, quality, longevity and safety in combination use experience using a Yam 8 or equivalent and similar size, to give you the pleasure and reassurance needed every time used.

Dont mind not so fast, but not so dull, just the sweet spot for most easy outings with or without 1 or 2 and a kid passengers.

Any if my onboard kit can be trimmed etc. according to the day. There will be compulsory up and over tramsom wheels of course attached every time.

OK, again, thanks for all inputs in this seek.
Old 20 January 2023, 20:58   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Not sure I’d agree with that.
In my experience, a 3.5m sib will plane easier than a sub 3m sib with the same motor and load. The 20 or even 30 kilo weight saving of the smaller boat has negligible benefit against the extra lift provided by a longer waterline.

Length matters (ooer! missus)…if you can lift it/transport it go as big as you can. Never heard anyone complain my sibs too big. Apart from more room the extra length will provide far better sea keeping and a more compliant ride in choppy conditions.
Like that imput a lot ! What's the the lightest, bestest, compactness one around 3m on the open market used, to get? This size variable, opens up loads more models to buy than sub 3m.
Old 21 January 2023, 07:59   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daijinks View Post
Like that imput a lot ! What's the the lightest, bestest, compactness one around 3m on the open market used, to get? This size variable, opens up loads more models to buy than sub 3m.
Refer back to post #7, also take a look at the Elling Kb350 (Chipko did a review on the forum)

The T32 will probably be the easiest to source 2nd hand.
Old 21 January 2023, 08:18   #19

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Virtually impossible to say if looking used. Condition/price/budget is probably far more relevant so why limit choice on make alone. There is no ‘best boat’ out there to be honest even though we all have our favourites and most now made in China, even the big makes.

Personally, in that size range I’d steer towards something like the Honwave 3.2 at 40kg (3.8 even better) as prefer the air-V decks over flat air decks with inflatable keel.

If no luck finding a decent used boat then for new perhaps worth taking a look at something from the Boatworld air deck range….Chinese made budget range, but a decent UK ‘bricks and mortar’ company.

https://boatworld.co.uk/boatworld-bo...flatable-boats

If you haven’t found anything or can wait till summer then Costco usually have a limited time offer on their 3.3m Tobin Sports air deck sib…last year £150 off a £599 price tag…cheaper than secondhand!

https://www.costco.co.uk/Sports-Spas...Boat/p/2622030

Good luck in your search.
Old 21 January 2023, 16:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Virtually impossible to say if looking used. Condition/price/budget is probably far more relevant so why limit choice on make alone. There is no ‘best boat’ out there to be honest even though we all have our favourites and most now made in China, even the big makes.

Personally, in that size range I’d steer towards something like the Honwave 3.2 at 40kg (3.8 even better) as prefer the air-V decks over flat air decks with inflatable keel.

If no luck finding a decent used boat then for new perhaps worth taking a look at something from the Boatworld air deck range….Chinese made budget range, but a decent UK ‘bricks and mortar’ company.

https://boatworld.co.uk/boatworld-bo...flatable-boats

If you haven’t found anything or can wait till summer then Costco usually have a limited time offer on their 3.3m Tobin Sports air deck sib…last year £150 off a £599 price tag…cheaper than secondhand!

https://www.costco.co.uk/Sports-Spas...Boat/p/2622030

Good luck in your search.
Well I've narrowed it down overnight on budget and condensed advice here. I can get a new boxed Boatworld 320 flat air floor for £500. But collect from South England and or a used but good condition, no repairs etc Excel SD290 with bag and seats etc. This would cost £450.
This later deal on the Excel could involve a trade of my Zodiac 240 tender package in bag with all the bits.

I only really need the one boat for this particular set up. Decisions etc. Any one chip in?
Thanks

Tags
sib