Old 13 May 2021, 16:22   #21

Town: Cobham
Boat name: Not named yet
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 20hp
Limecc, you never mentioned these defects when you sold the boat to me....rumbled! Ajusted the set up and all runs fine now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
After owning a Volante 390 and giving up on it after one year, I think the Volaire will be the better boat. I was very happy with the build quality and Terry/Excel inflatables as a business. The two issues I experienced were:

1. Weight. Even separated into two bags, the one with (only) the main boat was almost unmanageable. When wet and saturated, even worse.
2. Prop ventilation. Low pressure sausage keel deformed when planing heavily loaded with four adults. It led to the formation of an air bubble which would build and burst out causing momentary prop slip. The cycle would repeat every 20 to 30 seconds.

I wouldn't ever own a SIB that size now. 3.3 or 3.5m perhaps.

Finally, there's no point you buying a 15hp 4 stroke when you can have 20hp for the same (heavy) weight.

I can't comment on the Honwave but it would be a no2 choice after the Volaire. The SD360 might be a good choice as well, I don't think the shorter hull deforms like it's bigger sibling (I did like the fact the SD floor was flat and dry).
Old 13 May 2021, 17:20   #22

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsy View Post
Limecc, you never mentioned these defects when you sold the boat to me....rumbled! Ajusted the set up and all runs fine now...
Hi Ballsy, when you say "adjusted the setup and all runs fine now" - was that to do with the keel deformation and air pockets? What have you done differently?
Old 13 May 2021, 18:07   #23

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Hi nice to meet you again via the forum.

Hope your back's holding out and you are keeping it looking nice. Got those strong lads of yours to help you lol.
Old 14 May 2021, 00:04   #24

Town: Cobham
Boat name: Not named yet
Make: Excel
Engine: Suzuki 20hp
Adjusted outboard mounting and make sure weight is balanced in the boat
QUOTE=Steve509926;834990]Hi Ballsy, when you say "adjusted the setup and all runs fine now" - was that to do with the keel deformation and air pockets? What have you done differently?[/QUOTE]
Old 14 May 2021, 06:52   #25

Quote:
Adjusted outboard mounting and make sure weight is balanced in the boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Ballsy, when you say "adjusted the setup and all runs fine now" - was that to do with the keel deformation and air pockets? What have you done differently?
There was nothing I would have done differently.

Four persons sitting on a tube in each corner of the boat, petrol tank under the bow canopy where it is designed to go, 20mm packing on the transom to raise the engine (without it the AV plate was 50mm below keel) and 0.4 bar in the sausage. No issue popping on the plane and no ventilation except when an air bubble burst out.
https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/excel-...ght-75374.html

But no matter. Glad you are happy with it. From your posts seems you've taken it to a couple of places we used to.
Old 14 May 2021, 07:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Honwave: Feel the slope of the V floor might not be the best for our needs, fishing dog etc but havent been in one. Warranty not very good. Any other issues?

Opinions?
I see Honwave have still not worked out long-standing quality control issues:
https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/honwav...ent-86096.html
Old 14 May 2021, 14:44   #27

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Thanks everyone for their thoughts and opinions so far.
Would like to say they have all made our decision easier.....but they haven't.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
I see Honwave have still not worked out long-standing quality control issues:
https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/honwav...ent-86096.html
Yeah i have read that post and many about the other alignment issues on the previous version! Although most say the issues don't effect how the boat is in other ways.....but who wants to pay £1300 for something that just isn't right!

So our thoughts so far based on what we have learned from you guys here and what we've gathered online.....

All 3 are good sea worthy sibs overall....as sibs go.

The honwave T38 a good option based on weight and handling.
Issues....Not sure of the quality control .....the steepish V floor, and have read a very wet floor also.

The Excel Volante SD 390 ......a good sib. Seperate floor so can split the weight up a little. Handles well enough.
Issues...bloody heavy . Sausage keel causes
air bubbles and prop slip.

Excel volaire 390.....good solid sib. Handles well. Can possible use slightly smaller outboard
Issues.....bloody heavy

Oh and we also know limecc is not a sib lover
Old 14 May 2021, 16:36   #28

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

Excel volaire 390.....good solid sib. Handles well. Can possible use slightly smaller outboard

Issues.....bloody heavy

In fairness to the Volaire, the boat is marketed as a quick(ish) deployment rescue craft for flood rescue etc. It does feel very solid & sturdy when inflated. It’s also made from the heavyweight 1670 fabric rather than the usual 1100 weight. If you can get past the weight, then you get a solid boat in return. That said, I wouldn’t want to have to wrestle the packed up boat into the back of an estate car, you need a van or trailer IMO.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 19:18   #29

Do you really need a 390? The SD360 (it's actually 365) is still a good sized SIB. It's only 30cms in length and 9cms in width less than the SD390.
Old 14 May 2021, 19:35   #30

Quote:
Oh and we also know limecc is not a sib lover
But I really like the look of Fenlander's Elling
The entire setup.
Old 14 May 2021, 20:31   #31

Brian I don't know how far you are from Kyle of Lochalsh, but you are more than welcome to join me and my better half for a few hours on Redneck any day over the next week, it'll give you an idea of size and performance.
Old 14 May 2021, 21:47   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Brian I don't know how far you are from Kyle of Lochalsh, but you are more than welcome to join me and my better half for a few hours on Redneck any day over the next week, it'll give you an idea of size and performance.
Hi we are at Aberdeen approx a 4 hrs away...but that would have been great and very nice of you to offer.....unfortunately we are both on shift etc
We have been discussing what you were saying earlier about the size of sib and now are thinking we could maybe compromise a bit on the 390 size although not a huge difference in weight saving
But guess it would all help though

Didn't get a chance to get hold of Terry/Excel today but will try him tomorrow because we dont even know what stock of sib or outboard he would be able to provide. I did contact via email but he said he would rather talk on the phone before providing a package qoute to us.....So will see what hes got first before making a final decision.
Old 14 May 2021, 21:55   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
In fairness to the Volaire, the boat is marketed as a quick(ish) deployment rescue craft for flood rescue etc. It does feel very solid & sturdy when inflated. It’s also made from the heavyweight 1670 fabric rather than the usual 1100 weight. If you can get past the weight, then you get a solid boat in return. That said, I wouldn’t want to have to wrestle the packed up boat into the back of an estate car, you need a van or trailer IMO.
Yes Dave the more we have thought about it...perhaps it is just too big a beast for us to handle weight wise with our set up.
Maybe in the future with a towbar rack or trailer...it could be an option. But when looking at yours...it is a great looking setup.
Will see what excel has to offer anyway.
Still tempted on the honwave for weight to be honest....just not convinced on their quality control and even less so on the floor.
So think an Excel of some sort is on the cards depending on stock. Its just such a pity they are so heavy...but of course that what makes them the boat they are

Although Fenlanders Elling is looking good now...lol
Old 14 May 2021, 21:59   #34

Good luck with whatever you choose, and keep us posted.
Old 14 May 2021, 21:59   #35

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Hi we are at Aberdeen approx a 4 hrs away...but that would have been great and very nice of you to offer.....unfortunately we are both on shift etc

We have been discussing what you were saying earlier about the size of sib and now are thinking we could maybe compromise a bit on the 390 size although not a huge difference in weight saving

But guess it would all help though

Didn't get a chance to get hold of Terry/Excel today but will try him tomorrow because we dont even know what stock of sib or outboard he would be able to provide. I did contact via email but he said he would rather talk on the phone before providing a package qoute to us.....So will see what hes got first before making a final decision.

Dunno if I’d want to go smaller than 3.9m, it’s comfortable with 2/3 up with all the gubbins for a day out. By the time you get fuel/cool box/essential boaty gear/couple of dry bags with spare clothing etc, it can get cosy. Plus the longer it is, the easier it is to balance the weight.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 22:06   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Dunno if I’d want to go smaller than 3.9m, it’s comfortable with 2/3 up with all the gubbins for a day out. By the time you get fuel/cool box/essential boaty gear/couple of dry bags with spare clothing etc, it can get cosy. Plus the longer it is, the easier it is to balance the weight.
Yeah dave...big clumsy dog and even bigger clumsy owner was originally why we thought bigger.....that and the belief size does really matter
and it be a bit more sea worthy with a longer sib...especially on rougher seas....decisions....decisions
Old 14 May 2021, 22:49   #37

Whilst I tend to agree with you Dave (as you know I had my mind set on a Volaire 390), I think sometimes a compromise has to be made. The big difference is, you pull all your gear around in a really smart trailer with a neat rolling floor, Brian has an estate. Would you manage to get all your gear into the back of an estate? I know I'd struggle if I didn't have the Navara to carry everything in, mind you I dont travel light.
If the budget allows, I'd go for a trailer to carry my new Volaire 390 and 20hp EFI, if the budget doesn't I think a comprise might be wise.
Old 14 May 2021, 23:18   #38

What ever we end up with (depending more on stock than anything else) we will look at making a diy trolley of some sort from a sack barrow for the boot and moving short distances like ive seen guys make here and youtube etc. Think we will need something for the 20hp Outboard anyway.

Im sure tmmorris posted he is getting a towbar rack and it will be interesting to see how he gets on with that. Guess would be easier to lift weight off and on along with less salt water getting into car

Phew...all Fenlander's Ellings are sold...that one off the list Limecc
Old 14 May 2021, 23:29   #39

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> Fenlanders Elling is looking good now...lol

Kind of you guys to say and I think after experience of some 10 SIBs in as many years the Elling is going to prove the ultimate easy to set up/carry/trundle SIB that will give a rewarding performance on a light 8/10hp motor... but... only for one or two adults plus a smaller child or dog. You want more folks then it will likely be bogged down and thoughts will turn to the larger/heavier SIBs that need heavier motors so handling needs some careful management.

One important point if you are getting hung up on the last few cm of length. Make sure you are looking at figures which matter and are accurate.

My Bombard is called a 380... but it measures 3.65. The Elling is called a 350 yet measures 3.6.

Internally despite the stated overall length of the Aerotec being 3.8m it is actually shorter internally than the 3.5m Elling by 20cm and due to the Elling's more square bow there is loads more floor space and it's more useable being totally flat.
Old 14 May 2021, 23:42   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>> Fenlanders Elling is looking good now...lol

Kind of you guys to say and I think after experience of some 10 SIBs in as many years the Elling is going to prove the ultimate easy to set up/carry/trundle SIB that will give a rewarding performance on a light 8/10hp motor... but... only for one or two adults plus a smaller child or dog. You want more folks then it will likely be bogged down and thoughts will turn to the larger/heavier SIBs that need heavier motors so handling needs some careful management.

One important point if you are getting hung up on the last few cm of length. Make sure you are looking at figures which matter and are accurate.

My Bombard is called a 380... but it measures 3.65. The Elling is called a 350 yet measures 3.6.

Internally despite the stated overall length of the Aerotec being 3.8m it is actually shorter internally than the 3.5m Elling by 20cm and due to the Elling's more square bow there is loads more floor space and it's more useable being totally flat.
Yes I noticed there often isn't much information on actual real usable floor space when looking online because of course it is also dependant on floor, keel, shape, tube size etc too
I would agree by what we've seen of the Ellling on your thread it seems you would be hard pushed to find a more spacious sib for the overall size.
Definately worth while having a look at them in the future as our needs change.
One of the other things that put me off the honwave was the shape and also the bow and how it seemed very high and might struggle to have usable space without bow bags etc. Where as we prefered the look and shape of the excels online.