Old 02 July 2015, 11:27   #1

Town: Richmond North Yorkshire
Length: under 3m
One part repair glue

Hi, I am new to the forum

I am hoping someone will point me in the direction of what I need.

Please try not to laugh but I have a cheap 3 metre PVC type inflatable dinghy I got off Amazon (Actually this will be my third). I take it with us in our motorhome abroad for larking about on rivers and lakes. Its very light and will go (deflated) on the back of our scooter so ideal.

But as you will expect they are pretty flimsy and prone to punctures. I bought some repair glue once in France which was fantastic. It was expensive but you just spread a bit on the hole and 24 hours later it was better than new.

I am trying to find something similar in the UK and wondered if anyone could recommend such a product.

I did find this which sounds like it might be similar.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polymarine-I...b+Adhesive+PVC

Thanks in advance
Old 02 July 2015, 11:37   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Not trying to be funny but do you mean you were sealing holes with some special glue and no patches?

Assuming patches thought that glue you've linked to will be fine for your stated use.

Obviously for more expensive SIBs or longevity using the correct solvent and two-part glue is the answer... but too much faff for holiday use.
Old 02 July 2015, 12:03   #3

Thanks

No patches. The stuff I had you didnt need patches. Just spread it across the hole and in 24 hours it was perfect.

I chucked it unfortunately as the tube split and it went off. Cost €17 for a small tube in France. I just assumed it would be widely available in the UK.
Old 02 July 2015, 12:07   #4

If you really want easy on a cheap boat you can buy PVC repair tape made for inflatables... it stretches so doesn't come off when you inflate/deflate.

You can get it online from Ribstore but they are away on company hols shutdown at the moment.
Old 02 July 2015, 12:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
If you really want easy on a cheap boat you can buy PVC repair tape made for inflatables... it stretches so doesn't come off when you inflate/deflate.

You can get it online from Ribstore but they are away on company hols shutdown at the moment.
Thanks. I suspect however that patches and tape will not be so good on a tear or rip on an awkward seam. Is the Polymarine glue I linked to in the first post designed to be used with patches? I emailed them and got a quick reply stating that "in theory" it could work and will harden to a yellow finish which is fine. Wish I could remember the name of the stuff I originally bought.
Old 02 July 2015, 12:55   #6

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I think this is what you are looking for below, known as Stormseal/Stormsure, very handy stuff.

(stormsure, stormseal) | eBay
Old 02 July 2015, 12:59   #7

Oh... I bet that stuff in black for wetsuits is what I'm cleaning out from the corner of the aerotec floor... not quite silicone and not quite mastic but something in between.
Old 02 July 2015, 13:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
I think this is what you are looking for below, known as Stormseal/Stormsure, very handy stuff.

(stormsure, stormseal) | eBay
Top man! I reckon that sounds like the same sort of stuff.

Ill give it a whirl. I know it sound daft over a 3m PVC dinghy but amazingly they are hard to find abroad and repair kits even harder so wanted to go prepared.

When I first got the motorhome I bought a 3m Quicksilver Air deck and an 8hp Yamaha outboard. It was superb but just way too heavy to store up in the overcab in the van and certainly too heavy to strap to a 100cc scooter!

This is just a bit of fun to get out on the water when we are away. They usually last a year or two before they are beyond repair, the last one is in a Skip in the Pyrenees.

Great forum and thanks for all the help and answers. If I ever get a proper boat again I know where to come. Cheers
Old 02 July 2015, 14:01   #9

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Sounds a lot like McNetts Aquaseal.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2015, 18:23   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Aquaseal and Cotol 240 works well for drysuits. And pretty much anything else t hat needs a flexible seal. Make sure you get the unfilled Cotol (should be clear, not milky which is due to a plastic filler material.) Using a 1:1 ratio and painted on will form a water/air proof patch for pinholes in about a half hour. Can use a thicker mix if you need a thicker or larger patch.

jky