Click Here to Login

Old 12 May 2011, 09:58   #1
sib

Town: bath
Boat name: -
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: -
one notch down from the Zodiac Futura Commando 470, any suggestions ?

The Zodiac Futura Commando 470, such as Martini`s amazing set up, is the ideal but even with black Dog Marine`s offers of discounts I fear that it is still out of reach for me.

What does anyone recommend for a similar sized very robust boat that might be a notch down from this dream set up ? I`m currently running a QS 380 HD with a 4 stroke 15HP Merc which is a lovely boat but as the children are getting bigger and more and more people want to join in, it is often found to be slightly too small and underpowered when everyone wants to join in. I`ve had bigger RIB`s but this is much more fun for what it gets used for..

It`s uses will vary from dragging up a rough beach for BBQ`s, anchoring and fishing/snorkeling with the children in a fairly sheltered North Cornish estuary to out of estuary day long trips along the Atlantic coast with 4-5 middle aged men of the sea in lumpier conditions. i also need to be able to tow or pack into the pick up truck for trips to the south of France..also due to the regular beaching i do the engine needs to be tiltable easily so either light enough or with a good tilt assist..

any thoughts much appreciated ?
Old 12 May 2011, 14:42   #2

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Unfortunately I think you're asking too much from one boat. I don't think you could successfully take 5 guys and all their kit for the day out in a boat that will fold up and go in the back of a car.

Even with my 4.7 I don't think I'd want to go that far with more than 3 POB. And you would soon get fed up of dis/assembling, what with inflating, forcing floor sections in, mounting 75-100 kgs of outboard etc etc.

I think you'd be better off with a 4.5-5.5m rib on a trailer. If it's a good trailer that's well maintained then you wouldn't need to worry about taking it abroad.

My 4.7 + motor etc rolled up would fill my Range rover with the seats folded down, it's all a bit unrealistic in my view
Old 12 May 2011, 15:26   #3
sib

Town: bath
Boat name: -
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: -
thanks Martini, good points well made. some similar sized boats pack better than others and are understandably heavier/more robust than others as they are designed for different circumstances.

i guess I`m trying to find the gap between a RIB and a SIB (a SRIB ?? ) i don`t want a console as I prefer the "close" to the water / less comfortable and refined feel of SIB`s and also the pure practicalness of getting into tiny spaces (cave inlets) pulling onto beaches etc of them. Having had bigger RIB`s in big open seas i liken the two to a Series Land Rover and a modern Land Rover..i have both, one is refined and great at what it does but a tad boring, the other reminds me of being young !!

it seems to me ( probably incorrectly) that many SIB`s feel a tad too flimsy/lightweight/cheaply made and others (such as yours) are so tough/heavy/overkill/bombproof that they are too heavy or expensive...just wondered what the middle ground is if there is any ?..

thanks
Old 12 May 2011, 15:30   #4

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by sib View Post
the pure practicalness of getting into tiny spaces (cave inlets) pulling onto beaches etc of them.
thanks
Exactly what I got mine for. Only difference is I got an 8.5m rib for the rest of the time!

the Zodiac Futura is the same boat as mine, just without the overkill, could be a good start? Unfortunately as Black Dog Marine are Milpro dealers, they're not able to supply the rest of the range
Old 12 May 2011, 15:35   #5

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
martini's is a full on commercial/Mllspec boat.there are zodiac boats very similar in design for the general market

Old 18 May 2011, 19:58   #6

Town: Bangor,Co Down
Make: Gemini/ Avon
Length: 4m +
The Avon CRRC 520 has an inflatable floor with aluminium stringers and can be inflated in 5 minutes with a 12v inflator. When rolled up it measures 6ft x 3ft x 2ft and weighs 180kg but can be tipped into a trailer/pickup by one person. It is a very tough boat. Takes up to a max 40hp short shaft single or twin 30's. Can carry about 10 people.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5335.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	59466   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5336.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	59467   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5337.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	59468   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5344.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	59469   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5345.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	59470  

Old 18 May 2011, 22:30   #7

Town: Orpington
Make: Seapro 340HD
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sib View Post
thanks Martini, good points well made. some similar sized boats pack better than others and are understandably heavier/more robust than others as they are designed for different circumstances.

i guess I`m trying to find the gap between a RIB and a SIB (a SRIB ?? ) i don`t want a console as I prefer the "close" to the water / less comfortable and refined feel of SIB`s and also the pure practicalness of getting into tiny spaces (cave inlets) pulling onto beaches etc of them. Having had bigger RIB`s in big open seas i liken the two to a Series Land Rover and a modern Land Rover..i have both, one is refined and great at what it does but a tad boring, the other reminds me of being young !!

it seems to me ( probably incorrectly) that many SIB`s feel a tad too flimsy/lightweight/cheaply made and others (such as yours) are so tough/heavy/overkill/bombproof that they are too heavy or expensive...just wondered what the middle ground is if there is any ?..

thanks

Sib,

Why don't you just sell one of your Land Rover's, then you can buy the SIB of your dreams and at the same time, help save the planet.

Maybe it's the answer. What do you think?

Popeye
Old 19 May 2011, 19:31   #8

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaphead View Post
The Avon CRRC 520 has an inflatable floor with aluminium stringers and can be inflated in 5 minutes with a 12v inflator. When rolled up it measures 6ft x 3ft x 2ft and weighs 180kg but can be tipped into a trailer/pickup by one person. It is a very tough boat. Takes up to a max 40hp short shaft single or twin 30's. Can carry about 10 people.
Proberly said before,now thats the sib that i would like for fishing ,be well perfect,im jealous,lol