Old 04 September 2011, 17:43   #1

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
No reason not to SIB

I took the bombard out for a quik spin this afternoon and while packing away say a guy come up to the slip in a 2.7m SIB.

He gingerly got out and walked very slowly up the slip, got in his electric wheel chair - fair play I thought- not letting anything stop his enjoyment.

He then reversed down the slip, hitched up the SIB and off her went ! Up the road then on the pavement . I though it was just brilliant !

A took a quick snap on the phone as I drove past as I just thought it was genius. A guy determined to enjoy being on the water no matter what...

So next time I think 'I am abit tired' or 'my dodgy elbow is hurting' I need to just 'man up' and enjoy boating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sibbing.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	62385  
Old 04 September 2011, 17:57   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Surely you need a 4x4 to launch a SIB/RIB - I thought everyone knew that
Old 04 September 2011, 19:30   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
But is he currently claiming £160/week incapacity ? in which case you just shopped him ... but its his mates scooter ofcourse
Old 04 September 2011, 20:50   #4

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
At least he is wearing his life jacket. All be it on his scooter.

Ian

Old 04 September 2011, 20:53   #5

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Nice one pete!! Wonder if it was a four wheel drive wheelchair!!
Old 05 September 2011, 16:53   #6

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Lol,the salt water might bugger up his electrics in time,lol,still brill idea if you don t drive and its a little way down the road to launch from where you live
Old 07 August 2013, 19:17   #7

Had to dig this thread up ..same location as the electric wheelchair towing SIB - saw this when recovering after the Mudeford RNLI day....

May Christchurch attracts novel SIB towing ideas ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	83789   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130728_170454.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	83790  
Old 09 August 2013, 21:23   #8

Town: Oop North
Who needs all these fancy ways of getting the boat home?
All it takes is bit of legwork;

well youngest daughters anyway.
Old 09 August 2013, 23:12   #9

Town: Oakland CA
And you were taking pictures?

jky
Old 09 August 2013, 23:58   #10
Dhf

Length: no boat
[QUOTE=PeterM;419176]I took the bombard out for a quik spin this afternoon and while packing away say a guy come up to the slip in a 2.7m SIB.

He gingerly got out and walked very slowly up the slip, got in his electric wheel chair - fair play I thought- not letting anything stop his enjoyment.

He then reversed down the slip, hitched up the SIB and off her went ! Up the road then on the pavement . I though it was just brilliant !

A took a quick snap on the phone as I drove past as I just thought it was genius. A guy determined to enjoy being on the water no matter what...

QUOTE]

That's brilliant!! I want one!! 2.7 SIB that is, already got the other, but don't think it'll tow my current rib, its 2wd rated for 35st over 25mile, 4wd versions are available and very powerful, and expensive unfortunately, there also surprisingly waterproof to an extent, my 2wd will cross beaches an allsorts. and only takes 5hr to charge.
Old 10 August 2013, 03:23   #11

Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard
Some people sit around and feel sorry for themselves when they have a problem. It did me good to see this post, as you who still have your legs do not know what it is like. We are waiting for an operation, so it is walker or sit home at this time. In order to try to save my legs, we go for walks in the evening, and we celebrate for doing 1.4 miles in 2 hours with the walker. Glad this fellow has the moxie to get out and enjoy himself.

Go get 'em, Dragonhawk !!
Old 10 August 2013, 15:16   #12

Town: Oop North
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
And you were taking pictures?

jky
Too true.
Old 16 August 2013, 08:39   #13

Town: Bristol
Make: Honwave
Engine: Mercury 15HP 2Str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
But is he currently claiming £160/week incapacity ? in which case you just shopped him ... but its his mates scooter ofcourse
I was just thinking exactly the same - how easily did he walk up the slip after getting out of his boat?
Old 16 August 2013, 12:48   #14

Hope you never have the experience, but since April I have been on crutches or a walker in order to get around. It is a nasty situation, and by the way, I am not on any assistance program. Unless you know this fellow is on assistance and could be working if he chooses, your remarks sound a bit like loose lips. In fact, he could be holding down a job at present. Mother always had us hold a bar of soap in our mouths for loose talk.

How about prove your case or go find a bar of soap. You could be walking in his shoes before you know it, as it only takes one slip to ruin a back.
Old 16 August 2013, 12:53   #15

Town: hyde
Boat name: patriot
Make: zodiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankc View Post
Hope you never have the experience, but since April I have been on crutches or a walker in order to get around. It is a nasty situation, and by the way, I am not on any assistance program. Unless you know this fellow is on assistance and could be working if he chooses, your remarks sound a bit like loose lips. In fact, he could be holding down a job at present. Mother always had us hold a bar of soap in our mouths for loose talk.

How about prove your case or go find a bar of soap. You could be walking in his shoes before you know it, as it only takes one slip to ruin a back.
well spoken frankc
Old 16 August 2013, 16:14   #16
Dhf

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankc View Post

Indeed

Good on you Frank for celebrating your achievments, so many take there ability for granted, I know I did 23yrs ago, fit as a fiddle I was, untouchable I was, until waking up in a spinal injuries unit completely parilysed bolted up with skull traction, thats over 60kg hanging hanging over pullies to keep the spine in line, turned every 2 hours for 3 months, then they unbolt you, I could feel every squeek as they screwed them out, but I was lucky, after the inter spin swelling had reduced, I regained some movement in my left side, another 3 months of physio and I was able to walk 10yrds with cruches, now I can manage a bit more on good days, the spasticity can be restricting though which is always the result of serious spinal injury. I count myself very lucky though, as many of the friends I made in the unit are still completely parylised today. I had worked every day until my accident achieving offshore DOT boatman's licence at 18yr old, whilst also studying marine engineering, which pays more than helming, so after carrying thousands of pax for 4yrs I quit helming to earn more on the refineries, then came home from work one day splipped and fell about 30ft landing on my head, which caused the multi spinal injuries, I'm classed as incomplete tetraplegic now. I'm just glad I had personal insurance, but that dosn't cover everthing in life unfortunatly.

All the best to you with your recovery and happy boating, I find its good therapy for the mind body and soul.
Old 16 August 2013, 22:27   #17

Dragonhawk, I take my hat off to you, sir. Your post touches me.

Mine is a hopefully temporary situation with an operation scheduled for September 9 as of this morning. I have suffered with my back since 2000, but this spring I basically could not walk without intense pain when I was able to walk. The last four days have been a "picnic" as they say for pain which has been all too common lately.

Through this experience I have come to know just how lack of mobility effects a person. That has been a lesson I will never forget, and I am in awe of people who will push their limits to attain the freedom of movement others take for granted. I take my experience as a blessing and hopefully it will be helpful to others.

I suffered a near death experience years ago which has been helpful to others dealing with death since then, so I would expect that this lesson may be fruitful to others also.

Fight the good fight with the knowledge that there are many who understand what you go through.
Old 16 August 2013, 22:48   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhawk ficht View Post

good therapy for the mind body and soul.
which sums up why all of us have the boats we do...:-)

it's easy to make assumptions on a computer....hats off to you both....

No reason not to enjoy life to the full....just can be hard hard work and a pain in the back side sometimes.
Old 17 August 2013, 09:32   #19

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
We have some neighbours up the road who use the not-with-us-anymore MIL's mobility scooter as a tow vehicle for their canoe - set of bogies strapped to the aft end, bow hitched to the scooter - and down the hill c. 800m to the slip. Quite bizzare but very practical if you have a spare scooter!

You can't beat legpower though....I use to drag my Laser home uphill for a mile from the beach at the end of the season on its launching trolley - that was hard work (I was in my teens then!) so anything was possible
Old 18 August 2013, 04:06   #20

I would love to visit over there, but probably will never have the chance. INflatables are rare in the area where we live, but we have two small ones for camping which we enjoy. IT would appear that they are used as they should be by you folks.