Old 18 July 2013, 12:58   #1

Town: Bristol
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15HP 2Str
Newbie to the waters...almost!

Hi all,

I am based on Bristol and looking to buy an inflatable for tootering around Bristol Harbour waters and also potentially to the sea every now and then!

My limitation is in towing as my car doesn't have a towbar, therefore I am looking at an inflatable which can ideally sit on top of my car (3 series BMW) via roofbars, or alternatively be deflated and placed in the boot.

I want a 5-man craft so that space isn't squashed whilst on the boat, I am also thinking that a 9.9hp outboard will be sufficient as its a good compromise between power and weight for carrying it around. I'm considering a second-hand engine at first, ensure that I like the concept and then will upgrade to a new motor.

I initially considered the SunSport ARIB350 but on further investigation the Honwave T35AE looks like a better buy, same price but with an aluminium floor, and of course manufactured by Honda, rather than some unknown import. Interested in your views as to whether this is the right decision.

Finally, in terms of transport, are my plans realistic with regards to carrying it on the roof of a car or inflating/deflating on each use?

If anyone has a T35 and you're based in Bristol, I'd love to see one being launched, feel free to drop me a message!

Great site, looking forward to learning lots from you guys!

Cheers, Ash
Old 18 July 2013, 13:33   #2

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Easy lady
Make: Bombard aerotech
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
I'll say it before someone else does, Bombard Aerotec 380!

Great boat, will fold down and go in the boot and a couple of you should be able to get it on the roof.

Not sure about the performance 5 up with only 9hp.

I got a Yam 15, 2 stoke and that would struggle with 5 adults. With 2 adults and 2 kids it goes like a dream!
Old 18 July 2013, 13:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolandandallsea View Post
I'll say it before someone else does, Bombard Aerotec 380!

Great boat, will fold down and go in the boot and a couple of you should be able to get it on the roof.

Not sure about the performance 5 up with only 9hp.

I got a Yam 15, 2 stoke and that would struggle with 5 adults. With 2 adults and 2 kids it goes like a dream!
Hey Noland, thanks for replying. The Aerotec looks lovely but its over twice the price - I can pickup the Honwave for just under £1k which is within budget.

I guess if your 3.8m will fit on a roof, the 3.5m should be fine too - are there any negatives about the Honwaves?

I won't be carrying 5 people that often, most likely only two, but it'll be nice to have lots of room when there is only two of us
Old 18 July 2013, 14:25   #4

Just another note - I have been reading that air floors are possibly far better than aluminium floors, therefore I'm interested now more in a Honwave with an airfloor, although it seems that they only do a 3.8, not a 3.5
Old 18 July 2013, 15:35   #5

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
If you intend to inflate and deflate evry time you use it and airfloor is much easier and lighter to use. I have had both an airfloor and a aluminum floor Honwave and the ali floor one ended up on a trailer.

If you are looking for a used 9.9 2 stroke, you may as well buy a 15, they are usually the same engine, but with a couple of performance tweeks.

My choice would be a Honwave T38 with a 15hp 2 stroke (Yamaha/Mariner/Mercury/Tohatsu). It will plane with 3 up but probably not with 5 adults.

Just seen you are considering the T32 and T38, the T32 is actually a decent size for a 3.2m Sib, the square bow, short sponsons behind the transom and the deep V floor make it feel surprisingly roomy.

Old 18 July 2013, 15:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
If you intend to inflate and deflate evry time you use it and airfloor is much easier and lighter to use. I have had both an airfloor and a aluminum floor Honwave and the ali floor one ended up on a trailer.

If you are looking for a used 9.9 2 stroke, you may as well buy a 15, they are usually the same engine, but with a couple of performance tweeks.

My choice would be a Honwave T38 with a 15hp 2 stroke (Yamaha/Mariner/Mercury/Tohatsu). It will plane with 3 up but probably not with 5 adults.

Just seen you are considering the T32 and T38, the T32 is actually a decent size for a 3.2m Sib, the square bow, short sponsons behind the transom and the deep V floor make it feel surprisingly roomy.
Thanks for info, sounds good - interesting that you suggest a 2-stroke as most seem to suggest 4-strokes instead? Aren't there some waters where 2str's aren't allowed?

I'm still veering towards the T38 as I'll have extra room if we're on a day-long cruise somewhere, it'll be nice to be able to relax without being cramped if its us two adults.

The price difference between the two is only £200, if I keep the boat for some years I'll no doubt be glad that I went for the bigger one.
Old 18 July 2013, 16:11   #7

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeant View Post
Thanks for info, sounds good - interesting that you suggest a 2-stroke as most seem to suggest 4-strokes instead? Aren't there some waters where 2str's aren't allowed?

You'll find much love amongst the SIB'ers here for two strokes - the Tohatsu 9.8 or the Yam/Mariner/Mercury 15 are the main choices.

You won't find any new packages or dealers recommending 2 strokes as they have not been able to see new ones to private owners for 5 years or more.

But for SIB use the light weight, great pick up, simplicity, ease of carry and transport of the 2 stroke makes them the popular choice amongst the enthusiasts.

Generally a 3.5m ish SIB and one of the above engines is the default choice.

Airfloors are the way to go for lightweight transporting especially if setting up each time. Howver, you mention 5 people, generally you'll find SIBs are happier with 1-3 people max.

Anway, check back over the 'SIB' section of the forum, your question of 'which boat' is the No1 questions and there are *hundreds* of previous discussions worth studying.
Old 18 July 2013, 16:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
You'll find much love amongst the SIB'ers here for two strokes - the Tohatsu 9.8 or the Yam/Mariner/Mercury 15 are the main choices.
I guess I have been put off from 2-strokes because of the annoying high-pitched engine whine, the unreliability (getting my 2-stroke chainsaw to start is a nightmare, especially when its hot!) and the smell too. In addition, aren't 2-strokes frowned upon in harbour/canal waterways because of the above?
Old 18 July 2013, 16:37   #9

Quote:
I guess I have been put off from 2-strokes because of the annoying high-pitched engine whine, the unreliability (getting my 2-stroke chainsaw to start is a nightmare, especially when its hot!) and the smell too. In addition, aren't 2-strokes frowned upon in harbour/canal waterways because of the above?
I wouldn't compare horrible smoky, screeching (cheap Chinese?) garden equipment to the well known big brand marine engines mentioned!
Old 18 July 2013, 17:25   #10

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
Quote:
Hi all,

I am based on Bristol and looking to buy an inflatable for tootering around Bristol Harbour waters and also potentially to the sea every now and then!

My limitation is in towing as my car doesn't have a towbar, therefore I am looking at an inflatable which can ideally sit on top of my car (3 series BMW) via roofbars, or alternatively be deflated and placed in the boot.

I want a 5-man craft so that space isn't squashed whilst on the boat, I am also thinking that a 9.9hp outboard will be sufficient as its a good compromise between power and weight for carrying it around. I'm considering a second-hand engine at first, ensure that I like the concept and then will upgrade to a new motor.

I initially considered the SunSport ARIB350 but on further investigation the Honwave T35AE looks like a better buy, same price but with an aluminium floor, and of course manufactured by Honda, rather than some unknown import. Interested in your views as to whether this is the right decision.

Finally, in terms of transport, are my plans realistic with regards to carrying it on the roof of a car or inflating/deflating on each use?

If anyone has a T35 and you're based in Bristol, I'd love to see one being launched, feel free to drop me a message!

Great site, looking forward to learning lots from you guys!

Cheers, Ash
dream on son you aint fitting that in the back of your beamer
it`s a lot of weight to lift on to your roof too

i love my 2 stroke 100 year old mariner and those that have seen it say it can motor , theres no chance of an oily spill in you boot either

personally i would seriously consider a box trailer
Old 18 July 2013, 19:20   #11

Town: Wrexham
I can get my 3.3 metre SIB, 18hp 2 stroke and all gear plus fuel in the back of my Vauxhall Vectra hatchback and still there's room for the single side rear seat to be used. Just.
Old 18 July 2013, 19:59   #12

Town: Stotfold
Boat name: kimozo 2
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 115 efi 4 st
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmrich View Post
I can get my 3.3 metre SIB, 18hp 2 stroke and all gear plus fuel in the back of my Vauxhall Vectra hatchback and still there's room for the single side rear seat to be used. Just.

used to have a hon t40 with alloy floor, was way too much trouble to assemble every time used to use a trailer , also alloy floor used to creak a lot when balancing on top of wave and broke a stringer several times air floor will ride better, with regards to engine ,if you are transporting in car a 2 stroke can be laid down ,but a 4 stroke can't ( due to engine oil ).
Old 19 July 2013, 08:28   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRevor Lawson View Post
with regards to engine ,if you are transporting in car a 2 stroke can be laid down ,but a 4 stroke can't ( due to engine oil ).
4 str can still be laid down but they are rather particular about which way...
Old 19 July 2013, 12:12   #14

Thanks guys, going for the Honwave T38 instead now, airfloor and so compacts down much better, hopefully If I can't get it into the back of the car deflated, I'll buy a roofbox instead
Old 22 July 2013, 08:12   #15

Had lots of advice on another thread concerning engines, also supporting that 2str is probably a better option than 4str - so now I have the following queries:

- Is a 15hp 4str the same power output as a 15hp 2str? I assume so but thought it best to check

- Are 2str's as reliable as 4strs?

- Can anyone recommend brands to favour and brands to avoid?

- What features are mandatory for safe boating (right now I gather auto-neutral on start, cut-off pull cord)

How does this look?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MARINE...item231116f52b

Thanks
Old 22 July 2013, 08:29   #16

Quote:
- Is a 15hp 4str the same power output as a 15hp 2str? I assume so but thought it best to check
Brand new out of the factory - yes. Very old 2-smokes will have measured engine output rather than propellor but if you are looking at anything 1990s + then I think they all measured power at the prop.

That said as a 15HP 2smoke is lighter you might got very slightly quicker. Not sure you'll notice the difference though!

Quote:
- Are 2str's as reliable as 4strs?
May be less to go wrong on a 2-smoke? Pre-mix versions suffer from bad mixing and some oiling of plugs if idiling a lot. Autolub versions the autolub could go wrong.

Quote:
- Can anyone recommend brands to favour and brands to avoid?
Bit like asking for car recommendations! Different things please different people. One of the common recommendations is to go with something that has a dealer local to you so you can easily get parts, advice and service. If the nearest dealer is 100miles in the wrong direction you'll get cheezed...

All dealers are not the same either!
Quote:
- What features are mandatory for safe boating (right now I gather auto-neutral on start, cut-off pull cord)
So you need a kill cord. I don't think you can get a modern engine that doesn't have starting in gear protection.
Old 22 July 2013, 08:41   #17

2 strokes are simple as it comes and if serviced and looked after as reliable as anything, much of the above dealer advice will not apply as you will be looking at a 2006 model or earlier in all probability as per previous posts. Autolube won't apply on these small under 15hp engines. Anyone with a socket set and spanners can service a 2 stroke at home - gear oil, plugs each year, less often clean the carb and change impeller and 'stat.

2 strokes are much lighter and pick up quicker than a 4 stroke, ideal for a SIB.

If going for a 15 2 smoke on a SIB you will be best looking at the Mariner, Mercury or Yamaha. These are the lightest, best known and easiest to sell on. Expect to pay typically £800 to £1300 depending on condition, age, private/dealer etc. Again, have a good search as this gets discussed all the time and lots of good advice out there.

That eBay listing you linked is commercial use only, you cannot buy one for private use under EU regs since 2007. It's a good choice but ypu'll find a nice mid 2000s one for £1200 or so and a lot less if you're patient and/or lucky.

Do bear in mind that you are getting into a heavy outfit now to deflate, inflate, set-up, carry engine, fuel etc - many have been there and got fed up (with the faff and time) and gone with a trailer...

In your position I'd strongly advice buying someone else's outfit second hand, you'll pay a lot less, let them take the huge depreciation hit and if it doesn't work out for you you can sell it on and try something else - I'm not sure but I don't think there are many people on here who stick with the first boat they bought and found it was exactly what they needed...
Old 22 July 2013, 08:46   #18

Thanks all, really useful - I'll go trawling now to find a nice one, any tips on buying a used 2str, things to look for? I'd obviously want to see/hear it running, but other than that? Anyone have one for sale in the Bristol/Bath area?

Finally, I have read that 2str's are not allowed to be used, is that a UK thing, or US only?
Old 22 July 2013, 08:54   #19

Quote:
Thanks all, really useful - I'll go trawling now to find a nice one, any tips on buying a used 2str, things to look for? I'd obviously want to see/hear it running, but other than that? Anyone have one for sale in the Bristol/Bath area?

Finally, I have read that 2str's are not allowed to be used, is that a UK thing, or US only?
See posts above - you can use one or buy privately you just cannot buy new for private use due to EU emmission regs from 2007.

As I say I'd buy the whole outfit together second hand - you'll get a much better deal and find something probably bought new from a dealer by someone who used it a few times and found it wasn't for them. Buy new and that could be you!

Check eBay, Ribnet, Gumtree, Friday ads, Boats and Outboards, Apollo Duck - buyer beware of course.

honwave | eBay
Old 22 July 2013, 08:57   #20
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
No.

1. Old technology 2 strokes are unable to comply with modern emissions regulations. These only apply to new engines being made or imported into the EU, for leisure use. Old engines already on the market are still perfectly legal. New engines using this tech can also still be bought for commercial, racing and rescue services.

2. New technology 2 strokes (using direct injection of the fuel into the cylinder) meet the tougher emissions requirements and are available from most manufacturers. Unfortunately the added complexity of the engine means they are heavier than their predecessors and as far as I remember nobody does one as small as 15 HP.