Old 19 August 2014, 00:46   #1

Town: cannock
Boat name: Harpoon
Make: Zodiac futura
Length: 3m +
Engine: 30 hp

Hello to all .

Iam new to sibs . Ihave used one a few times this year for fishing in wales . 15hp 2 stroke on a tidal wave with a wooden floor . which i just got it from the motorhome and took it to the beach built it up , blew it up , engine on and in the sea with the misses . We had lots of fun and have been bit by the bug .
I have got another sib now a 30hp zodiac futura 1997 with a split trailer (one on top launch ) . I stayed on a campsite over the weekend in wales aberfon with its own slip and was looking forward to trying it out . The weather was to rough and never launched it but tried . I have never used a slip before and would like tips ? The engine is to heavy to carry to the beach . I also was wondering is the engine the same as the 40 hp in weight 63 kg and is the only difference is the carb . Does any one know good places to go for newbies lol ? . Do you need insurance to use slips and do you have to register your boat ?

Reagrds harpo
Old 19 August 2014, 06:31   #2

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
The slip at Aberfon is very exposed and it doesnt take much wind or the wind in the wrong direction to make it unusable.Not launching is sometimes the right decision.

For 99% of the sea slips In the UK you do not need any insurance, however if you are launching in North Wales you do, along with a council licence. ( You dont need this if launching on private slips like Aberfon or Ronnies). Having said that, insurance is cheap so I would suggest you get some anyway.

For launching tips have a look at Youtube, lots of good advice and even better, quite a lot of what not to do Tubes.

Uprating your engine can be as simple as removing a restrictor, or it can need lots of bits including carbs and reed valves. But if you tell us exactly which engine you have we can let you know if its even possible. For instance a 1990 Yamaha 30hp 2 cylinder is at its max output, but a 1997 3 cylinder can be uprated to 40 or even 50hp with enough time and money.

Great choice of sib, but if you want to put more power on it make sure all the glued joints are solid or it will end in tears.

We are booked into Aberfon this weekend with our Futura, but looking at the forecast I doubt we will be going out much.
Old 19 August 2014, 08:35   #3

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
hi Harpo, if you want some sheltered launching and cruising to get used to the sib then The Menai will take some beating, plenty to see and do and the Straits open out either end to some great curing areas

you can get a tractor launch / recovery at Ty Calch just past caernarfon or there are a couple of places either side of the slip you can self launch the sib if you want to save the launch fee, but at £16 it's not expensive and you get safe parking thrown in and Chris parks your trailer for you as well, makes for say boating
Old 19 August 2014, 08:35   #4

Hello landlocked pirate .
Can you recommend any places to go this weekend ? I will get insurance how do you get the council liscence .
The model of the outboard is 30g and it's a yamaha . I would interested in be interested in finding out if it can be upgraded . .
I hope the weather is good for you
Regards chris
Old 19 August 2014, 08:39   #5

Hello chris .

Do you need proof of insurance And would I be able to park motorhome in the town . Is their good fishing their .

Regards chris
Old 19 August 2014, 09:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo View Post
Hello chris .

Do you need proof of insurance And would I be able to park motorhome in the town . Is their good fishing their .

Regards chris
hi Chris, the slip at Ty Calch is privately owned, so no council fee to pay, Chris doesn't normally ask to see insurance but that's up to him, it's his slip, however I'd of thought the cost of insurance fir a sib is so small it's not really worth not having it, the benefits far outweigh the cost!

there is plenty of parking for motor homes around the back of Morrisons, ignore the round a bout into morrisons, take 3rd exit at the next roundabout, then the 2nd exit at the mini roundabout, there's coach and motorhomeand parking there and a five minute stroll into town
Old 19 August 2014, 09:21   #7

Thanks chris .
The insurance is something I will get any recommendations . Do the policies allow you to upgrade during the policy time ? I have never had a sib before I guess you can tell , I also going to the radio test have any tips ?
Cheers chris
Old 19 August 2014, 09:33   #8

I use Towergate Mardon Marine, but there are plenty of others, just google marine insurance and take your pick. Most will allow for upgrades through the year, but will charge an admin fee etc

don't know any RYA training places bear you, I used Safewater Training in New Brighton on the Wirral when I did my Powerboat level 2 and radio courses, SPR on here dies the course but he's based in Scotland
Old 19 August 2014, 10:07   #9

Thanks chris
I have just my insurance I did want to test sib first but I have now . I looking forward to using it .
Chris
Old 19 August 2014, 10:27   #10

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Hi Chris

like Mr. Caton. i also did my radio course at Safewater Training in New Brighton and can recommend them as a marine training facility. The radio course has recently been condensed into a one day course instead of two, which might suit you if travelling some distance.

PB2 and SRC radio courses are a must in my opinion regardless of SIB or RIB
Old 19 August 2014, 18:06   #11

Stick up a picture of the engine, we can tell what it is from that.

Ty Calch (Ronnies) is great for launching and nearly oppositre is a really nice but basic campsite.

Is Helen Farm , Caernarfon Campsites, Gwynedd
Old 19 August 2014, 18:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
Stick up a picture of the engine, we can tell what it is from that.

Ty Calch (Ronnies) is great for launching and nearly oppositre is a really nice but basic campsite.

Is Helen Farm , Caernarfon Campsites, Gwynedd
Is a Helen Farm isn't basic any longer, they've upgraded over the winter and now have a very nice fully serviced16 bay touring / seasonal pitch site, however they do have a corner for those that don't need all of the facilities although it's still got leccy hookup.

they've also got a nice cottage to rent and a small barn conversion, both come well recommended by others on RIBnet
Old 19 August 2014, 18:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
Is a Helen Farm isn't basic any longer, they've upgraded over the winter and now have a very nice fully serviced16 bay touring / seasonal pitch site, however they do have a corner for those that don't need all of the facilities although it's still got leccy hookup.

they've also got a nice cottage to rent and a small barn conversion, both come well recommended by others on RIBnet
Thats good to know, have they got showers now ?
Old 19 August 2014, 18:44   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
Thats good to know, have they got showers now ?
oh yes there is a new shower / toilet block where the 1st static van used to be, with washing up facilities at the end of the block. the site is very popular as it's close to caernarfon and very close to Ty Calch slip, so book early to avoid disappointment
Old 19 August 2014, 18:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
oh yes there is a new shower / toilet block where the 1st static van used to be, with washing up facilities at the end of the block. the site is very popular as it's close to caernarfon and very close to Ty Calch slip, so book early to avoid disappointment
Thanks, we love the site, but have only used it when we have the Motorhome because of the lack of facilities. Might see if they have any room this weekend
Old 19 August 2014, 19:11   #16

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Yep, can vouch for Is Helen. Stayed on the site in our Transporter last year for a week, or so, and had the barn conversion at Easter this year. Can't speak highly enough of the place.

In fact, the way it's going it'll soon be 'the' RIBnet campsite with anyone not a member of RIBnet struggling to get in.
Old 19 August 2014, 19:48   #17

Hello landlocked pirate
The campsite (ronnies) looks good is the Helen campsite across the road ?
The engine I have is a two cylinder and the model no is 30GE . I think it's at the max hp for this model looking at manual as it has the same bore size as the 25VM . The 40QE has a bigger bore size . Iam I reading this right ? Would have sent a pic but not with the boat .
Regards
Chris
Old 19 August 2014, 20:27   #18

Quote:
Hello landlocked pirate
The campsite (ronnies) looks good is the Helen campsite across the road ?
The engine I have is a two cylinder and the model no is 30GE . I think it's at the max hp for this model looking at manual as it has the same bore size as the 25VM . The 40QE has a bigger bore size . Iam I reading this right ? Would have sent a pic but not with the boat .
Regards
Chris
Hi, campsite is not quite across the road, its 100m or so away.

Yep, your engine is already at max output. But its a great engine, light and very reliable.
Old 19 August 2014, 20:39   #19

Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Egress
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150HP outboard
Quote:
Hello to all .

I have never used a slip before and would like tips ?
On top of the other good advice here I'd recommend asking, or even paying, someone with experience to help you launch and recover a couple of times. There is more than one way of doing this and the options open to you change with the size and weight of the boat and type of trailer. In the absence of doing this, read up then take it slowly and, if there are other people with boats around, don't be embarrassed to ask. I'm not near you it seems so can't offer physical help.
Old 19 August 2014, 20:52   #20

Thank you . Iam going to launch this weekend their will others around I will be taking notes lol . But seriously safety top fun is a close second .
Cheers harpo