Old 03 June 2018, 20:30   #1

Length: under 3m
New to this

Hi. I always wanted a boat so im looking to buy a simple 3-4 inflatable boat for my family, something like excursion 4 and electric motor. I dont know anything about this so im kind off googling away and looking on guides , youtube etc...

My question is can i use it on uk rivers and cannals ? Where do i find this info and where to start ?

Please be patient as this is my first time on any kind of forum
Old 03 June 2018, 21:10   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by niedzial1983 View Post
Hi. I always wanted a boat so im looking to buy a simple 3-4 inflatable boat for my family, something like excursion 4 and electric motor. I dont know anything about this so im kind off googling away and looking on guides , youtube etc...

My question is can i use it on uk rivers and cannals ? Where do i find this info and where to start ?

Please be patient as this is my first time on any kind of forum
I have a very good quality and expensive electric outboard (Torqeedo) and I would not rely on it as my main power for a day out. At slow speed, I might get an hour and a half out of it. Inflatables have a lot of drag at low speeds and use up the battery quickly.

The only advantage of an electric outboard would be if you intended to go on reservoirs where petrol outboards are forbidden.

You can get a small used petrol outboard cheaply. It will give you more power and more range. You don't have to go fast, but even a 3 hp petrol will shift a decent sized inflatable against moderate sea waves or a reasonable river current.

As for licensing, the best option for most of us is day tickets. Licensing a boat for a whole year, or for a sustained period, is expensive, so if you're going to launch and recover and do the odd day here and there, pay as you go.

There are several different licensing authorities depending on where you are.

For example, I use my SIB on the Trent, Soar and connected side streams and canals. I can buy a day ticket online from Canal & River Trust. It's a bit of a faff the first time as you have to put in a lot of details **including your boat insurance** but the second time is easier. It's less than £10 for a day.

I also sometimes go on the Ouse, near Huntingdon. I pay over the counter at a local marina. It's a different authority.

On the Norfolk Broads, I have paid at local tourist offices.

Other regional authorities exist. So, wherever you intend to use the boat, do a Google Advanced search for "boat license on the [river name]"

Wherever you go, they will ask for proof of insurance.

Alternatively, you can find a slipway on Boatlaunch and the details will usually tell you where to get a license for that stretch of water.

I am on my third SIB and I also have a sailing dinghy. In over 25 years of occasional river and canal use, I have never once been asked to present a license. However, there are two reasons why I think you should pay:

1) We are very lucky with the managed rivers in our country. Water levels are artificially maintained by weirs and sluices. The water is kept reasonably clean. Banks are reinforced for mooring. There are free slipways in some places, as well as other waterside facilities. I don't mind paying for that.

2) In the admittedly unlikely event that you are caught without a license, the authorities can fine you and confiscate your boat.

That aside, all forms of boating are a great hobby. There's a lot to learn, but as long as you're sensible you can learn as you go.

Ask, read and think about your choice of boat. There are good boats available second hand at reasonable prices. Everyone will naturally recommend what they chose for themselves. There are genuine pros and cons to the different sizes, floor types and so on.

I think most people do not use their boats as often as they expect. However, once you have it, it's always there to be used. A bad first choice might put you off, but a good first choice may well lead to an upgrade in a year or two anyway.
Old 03 June 2018, 21:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
I have a very good quality and expensive electric outboard (Torqeedo) and I would not rely on it as my main power for a day out. At slow speed, I might get an hour and a half out of it. Inflatables have a lot of drag at low speeds and use up the battery quickly.

The only advantage of an electric outboard would be if you intended to go on reservoirs where petrol outboards are forbidden.

You can get a small used petrol outboard cheaply. It will give you more power and more range. You don't have to go fast, but even a 3 hp petrol will shift a decent sized inflatable against moderate sea waves or a reasonable river current.

As for licensing, the best option for most of us is day tickets. Licensing a boat for a whole year, or for a sustained period, is expensive, so if you're going to launch and recover and do the odd day here and there, pay as you go.

There are several different licensing authorities depending on where you are.

For example, I use my SIB on the Trent, Soar and connected side streams and canals. I can buy a day ticket online from Canal & River Trust. It's a bit of a faff the first time as you have to put in a lot of details **including your boat insurance** but the second time is easier. It's less than £10 for a day.

I also sometimes go on the Ouse, near Huntingdon. I pay over the counter at a local marina. It's a different authority.

On the Norfolk Broads, I have paid at local tourist offices.

Other regional authorities exist. So, wherever you intend to use the boat, do a Google Advanced search for "boat license on the [river name]"

Wherever you go, they will ask for proof of insurance.

Alternatively, you can find a slipway on Boatlaunch and the details will usually tell you where to get a license for that stretch of water.

I am on my third SIB and I also have a sailing dinghy. In over 25 years of occasional river and canal use, I have never once been asked to present a license. However, there are two reasons why I think you should pay:

1) We are very lucky with the managed rivers in our country. Water levels are artificially maintained by weirs and sluices. The water is kept reasonably clean. Banks are reinforced for mooring. There are free slipways in some places, as well as other waterside facilities. I don't mind paying for that.

2) In the admittedly unlikely event that you are caught without a license, the authorities can fine you and confiscate your boat.

That aside, all forms of boating are a great hobby. There's a lot to learn, but as long as you're sensible you can learn as you go.

Ask, read and think about your choice of boat. There are good boats available second hand at reasonable prices. Everyone will naturally recommend what they chose for themselves. There are genuine pros and cons to the different sizes, floor types and so on.

I think most people do not use their boats as often as they expect. However, once you have it, it's always there to be used. A bad first choice might put you off, but a good first choice may well lead to an upgrade in a year or two anyway.
Perfect . Thank you . This is what i plan to buy ... i dont have a budget for something better but i guess i need to start somewere

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232787560205
Old 03 June 2018, 22:46   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Welcome to the forum... Mike has given a fantastic overview of sibbing and gives good advice re getting even the smallest petrol OB rather than electric.

Re your linked boat... I would do anything possible to up the budget and avoid these which most would regard as nearer beach toy than an inflatable to go anywhere with the family in (for practical and safety reasons... not snobbish views).

Starting with something like this would be so much better... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inflatabl...p2047675.l2557

Or one of the old near indestructible Avons like this... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avon-Reds...QAAOSwtG9bFFAQ
Old 03 June 2018, 22:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Welcome to the forum... Mike has given a fantastic overview of sibbing and gives good advice re getting even the smallest petrol OB rather than electric.

Re your linked boat... I would do anything possible to up the budget and avoid these which most would regard as nearer beach toy than an inflatable to go anywhere with the family in (for practical and safety reasons... not snobbish views).

Starting with something like this would be so much better... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inflatabl...p2047675.l2557

Or one of the old near indestructible Avons like this... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avon-Reds...QAAOSwtG9bFFAQ
Thanks for advise. I know nothing about so any help is welcome ! the first link didnt work. Second does . I think i need to do some reading before rushing in to buying something
Old 04 June 2018, 05:23   #6

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
Hi, and welcome
We all are new at this at some point I guess, I got into sibbing quite late myself(around 5 years ago) , so not super experienced like the other members here, anyway to get the best advice it would be great to know your top money budget, personally I’d rather have a goodish sib with life jackets etc and row it around a canal for a bit until I could afford a outboard to go with it, for my tupence worth getting on the water with a 3/4 man sib with an outboard and safety equipment would be a struggle for les than £500
Old 04 June 2018, 05:30   #7

Quote:
Thanks for advise. I know nothing about so any help is welcome ! the first link didnt work. Second does . I think i need to do some reading before rushing in to buying something
As I said before, it is natural for people to recommend whatever they chose for themselves. It makes perfect sense for them to do so, except that their needs may be different from yours.

For comparison, rather than recommendation:

I have a 3.1 metre Zodiac. I've taken it out on the river with 3 adults and there is room for a fourth. However it would be a bit crowded. That's with everyone sitting on the tubes rather than the thwart (cross seat). I'e taken the same boat out on the sea in benign conditions with 2 adults and would be happy to do so in "a bit of a chop".

With a 9.9 hp motor,it will plane (rise out of the water and skim fast across the surface, making very little wake) easily with 2 adults on board, and usually can with 3.

A previous boat was 3.4 metres and had loads more room in it. We did scuba diving trips in the sea with 3 people and equipment. I also had a 3 hp motor at that time. That was enough to push the boat along at displacement speeds (not planing) although it would just about plane in perfectly calm conditions with only me on board. With the 3 hp motor I did the occasional 20+ mile day.

Te general rule for a SIB is that small ones are easier to store, transport, launch and recover, but bigger ones are better once they're out on the water! It is always a compromise. I can do everything on my 310 solo. I allow 20 minutes to get the boat and equipment from the garage to the car, 40 minutes from the car to the water, and 30 minutes from the water tot he car. That includes all the accessories like transom wheels, oars, bow bag, and anchor box. It would be quicker and easier with a smaller engine.

Engines up to about 6 or 8 hp usually have a built in fuel tank. Smaller ones around 2 – 4 hp always (I think) do. Engines from 9.9 hp upwards always have a separate tank which takes up space in the boat. I can carry a 9.9 on my own but it's a handful. Something like a 3 hp would be a breeze to carry.

Wooden (plywood) floor boards take a bit of practice to fit but provide a reassuringly firm deck. Slatted floors (planks with gaps between) may be easier but the bat will be less rigid. A proper air floor is almost as rigid as boards and is a popular choice.

Look at manufacturers' websites for specifications and recommended engine size, but look at Ebay and similar sites for the boat you want. There is a good boat sales site called Apollo Duck: Inflatable Boats for sale, England, used boats, new boat sales. Free photo ads - Apollo Duck

Here's a short video of cruising slowly on a river. You could do this quite economically with a small SIB and a small engine: https://www.youtube.com/watchv=i25ZG...c4mQwJV7U&t=0s
Old 04 June 2018, 05:57   #8

Town: Corfu Greece
Boat name: attack 600
Make: Attack ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200VMAX (235+
Very good answers from all of you . I can also give some tips as my first boat was a small sib with a honda 4T 15hp . Because I spear fish at sea me and my friends use small inflatables with max length 3.8 meters

When it comes to a sib I found out that you NEVER get one with the new and cheap wood like panels that form the floor ... These will brake or come out of place . Try and find one with aluminium floor panels

Also keep in mind that most sibs are PCV and not Hypalon and they do have a short life
... some even fail before 5-7 years

I would go for a reliable brand like zodiac or Avon . Especially Avon are top

My best size was the 3.8m sib with plently of space for 4 people and basic stuff ... with a 15hp Honda it was a dream

My advice is not to go for a lesser quality new probably chinese sib but for a quality second hand european sib

You will save alot of money in the long run

Enginewise you can choose or match a Yamaha or Evinrude two stroke . The are undestructable

Happy hunting
Old 04 June 2018, 07:26   #9

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Excellent all round advice above.

Do read the 'Which SIB' sticky too as lots of general answers in there to this very common question.

Best advice above all (again as per sticky) is always start by buying a well looked after 'big name' outfit (circa 3.2m or so to include boat/engine around 9.8 to 15) to see if SIBing is for you - if it's not you'll lose nothing come resale and get to try a new hobby for free.
Old 04 June 2018, 07:47   #10

Thank you very much.

Max i will have 2 + my little one. Saftey is very important to me so i will do some reading around that . I have a saloon car with roofrack so i guess that will limit on the size of the boat i can buy.

I live in surrey and we have some great cannals, rivers and lakes. Can you explan where i can find places that i can take the boat out ? How do i find a spot where i can get the boat out and get it in the water ?
Old 04 June 2018, 08:46   #11

Town: Corfu Greece
Boat name: attack 600
Make: Attack ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200VMAX (235+
Quote:
Thank you very much.

Max i will have 2 + my little one. Saftey is very important to me so i will do some reading around that . I have a saloon car with roofrack so i guess that will limit on the size of the boat i can buy.

I live in surrey and we have some great cannals, rivers and lakes. Can you explan where i can find places that i can take the boat out ? How do i find a spot where i can get the boat out and get it in the water ?
Loading and unloading the sib from the roof of your car is not the best way . From what I understand you are in only adult male in the group so its not an easy task . Eventually you will get tired + it limits the size of the sib

Safety in not a very important part --- its THE MOST IMPORTANT part of the equation so be very careful in your choosing . You will appreciate that extra meter in the long run . If you can go up to 3.8m

Also have you considered using a trailer ? This is the safest and easiest way . You arrive at your destination and everything is ready . The engine is already on the sib , your petrol tank , ropes , anchor , life vests etc

Its the easiest way . You will spend your energy on enjoying your sib rather than loading and unloading etc etc
Old 04 June 2018, 09:41   #12

Theodorus good advice but in the UK there are a couple of differences as it is cooler here and SIBs suffer less heat exposure...

>>>keep in mind that most sibs are PCV... they do have a short life... some even fail before 5-7 years

They last far far longer in the UK.

>>>My advice is not to go for a lesser quality new probably chinese sib but for a quality second hand european sib

In the UK we are finding the Chinese built SIBs have a good spec and last well so give great value.
Old 04 June 2018, 14:02   #13

Quote:
Thank you very much.

Firstly, in response to a comment upthread. Maybe flimsy ply floors in a cheap Chinese SIB would not be suitable for use on the sea. For river use, I can't see a problem with wooden boards. All 3 of the SIBs I've owned have had plywood floors. There's a knack to getting them in, but they do a good job once they're in. I've never used aluminium but I have heard they can be a bit difficult to assemble and disassemble.

Now: roof rack. I have a Honda Civic and I can get my 3.1 m inflatable, 9.9 HP engine, anchor box, bow bag, pump, fuel tank, oars, snorkelling gear etc. in the car and still have easy room for an adult rear seat passenger. I can get all that kit in the car, plus a large tent, camping equipment, kayaking gear, and still have room for a front seat passenger. SIBs roll up small, and a 3hp engine or similar only takes up a little space. Yo are unlikely to need to put the boat on the roof rack. If you do, it should be rolled up and in its bag, not inflated.

As for finding a launch spot: Boatlaunch is a good start, although you will be able to get a small SIB in without a proper slipway.

I have put a 3.4 metre SIB in straight over the side down a 1 metre/3 foot drop into a canal, and retrieved it, solo. One person can carry a 3.1 metre SIB inflated and fully assembled for a reasonable distance, and a 2.7 would be even easier. There will be loads of places you can get in.

Use Google Advanced search to find boating places.

Here is the first link I got for searching "launch a small boat in Surrey": https://www.visitthames.co.uk/things...ng-information

Safety at this stage is mainly common sense:

1) Practise assembling and inflating your boat, and starting your outboard (in a wheelie bin full of water) before you go anywhere near the river with your family. Alternatively, take the boat and outboard to a river or canal and spend time on your own tinkering without distractions.

2) Plan your day allowing generous time for launching (40 minutes car to water?) and recovery (30 minutes water to car?).

3) Lifejackets/buoyancy aids for everyone. Even if you feel confident without, set an example to your crew. You might fall in grabbing them when they lose their balance.

4) Use the kill cord on the outboard.

5) Have a long painter tied to the bow, but not long enough to tangle in the propellor if it trails in the water.

6) Take oars or paddles.

7) Take water, chocolate, sunscreen, chocolate, and biscuits.

8) Mobile phone, wallet and car keys go in a waterproof bag secured to the boat.

9) Set off upstream on your first voyage if at all possible.

10) Keep away from weirs, strong currents, tides, waves, and especially breaking waves, until you have some experience.

11) As far as possible on the river, keep right, and give way to sailing craft, rowing boats, canoes and kayaks, as well as big boats that need the main channel, and anyone who looks like an idiot.
Old 04 June 2018, 15:29   #14

So if Excursion 4*+ electric motor as you say is a bit like a toy what about Bark 2.5m with a small petrol motor ?

For some reason it wont allow me add a pic...
Old 04 June 2018, 18:58   #15

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BARK-6-9-...-/323048189176

If the 2.5 from this link is what you mean...

I'd rather have a hard transom than that wrap around stern. More space in the boat and a better mount for the engine.

I'd also look for a little bit bigger. Even an extra 20 cm (270 instead of 250) although only 8"(barely a willy's length) makes the boat more buoyant, more spacious, more comfortable and more seaworthy generally. Usually the longer boat will have bigger diameter tubes which means more comfort and a drier backside.

It really depends what you are trying to achieve. Ask in an enthusiasts' forum and we we'll always recommend something more capable. However, it's always easy to spend someone else's money!
Old 05 June 2018, 07:54   #16

Quote:
Thank you very much.

Can I just ask as I also live in Surrey, where are the rivers ,canals,and lakes as I’d like to have a day out there
Old 05 June 2018, 08:08   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhitchuk View Post
Can I just ask as I also live in Surrey, where are the rivers ,canals,and lakes as I’d like to have a day out there
Google is your friend.

https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/environm...vers-in-surrey

"Navigable" means by boats bigger than a SIB. There is also a legal definition of a "navigation". However, for a small SIB, canoe, kayak, coracle, etc., it is often possible to explore beyond the officially navigable stretches of water.
Old 09 June 2018, 13:31   #18

So after a lot of reading i found something loke this

Any good ?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...41110609984469
Old 09 June 2018, 14:47   #19

That's more like a good start. Is that a 4hp Mariner... assuming so a really dependable engine and worth the majority of the price.
Old 10 June 2018, 09:46   #20

Agreed looks great, did you manage to grab it as it looks like it sold