Old 31 May 2010, 23:20   #1

Town: Port Hawkesbury
Length: no boat
New SIBling?!

Hi all

Brand new to this site, and kinda new to inflatables too (my dad used to have one, some 25 years ago or so, don't ask me anything about it, I just know it was fun lol).
After thinking about it for a long time, I now want to get myself an SIB that is big enough to take the family out for some cruising or fishing, but small and lightweight enough to be stored in the basement 2/3s of the year.
I been looking at those chinese/korean makes, they just seem to the only ones that i can afford atm.

But now I found a used Hypalon SIB that looks pretty good to me; former SAR, 1997 Zodiac MK2 FUTURA FR with a 25 hp Johnson ob and a roadworthy trailer.
The size 4.20m is about my upper limit, I was looking at the 3.60-3.80 range originally.

What do you all think of that boat, and what would be a fair price?
Also I don't have the time to work on the boat a lot, I really want to spend most of the time out on the water with it, not in the garage!
So what do you all think, new cheap PVC, or used Hypalon?

I'd very much appreciate your input, very happy I found this awesome site!

BeJay
Old 31 May 2010, 23:54   #2

Town: Labrador City
Make: Zodiac Futura MK3
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda bf50a
Hi BeJay, Welcome to the forum, I'm also fairly new to this forum, the information found here I'm sure you will find very useful and interesting to sift through.
I picked up a1997 mk3 c/w a 50hp Honda 4stroke and trailer/cover for $9000cnd Everything was in great condition with no patches. I have only had it on the water a few times this season but already I'm loving the boat for fishing. I'm no expert but from reading around on this forum and many others I would go for the used zodiac over the "cheeper" brands.

Take the deal and post pics!
Old 01 June 2010, 01:45   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeJay View Post
Hi all
Brand new to this site, and kinda new to inflatables too (my dad used to have one, some 25 years ago or so, don't ask me anything about it, I just know it was fun lol).
Funny; my first experience with inflatables was with my dad back in about, oh, 1968 or so. I remember it as being a pain in the butt...

Quote:
But now I found a used Hypalon SIB that looks pretty good to me; former SAR, 1997 Zodiac MK2 FUTURA FR with a 25 hp Johnson ob and a roadworthy trailer.

What do you all think of that boat, and what would be a fair price?
Should be a good boat, assuming it's in good condition. Roadworthy trailers have a nasty habit of becoming less-than-roadworthy in a hurry. Motor is probably a 2-stroke; if you have any kind of a boating community around you, you should be able to find assistance pretty easily if something goes amiss.

I'd suggest that you pump the tubes up and spray them down with soapy water and look for bubbles. A leak does not mean you should pass on the deal, but rather that you may need to do some work on them.

Check the transom; should be solid. Tapping with a small hammer should yield a solid note, that should not change as you near the mounting bolts or any other holes. You shouldn't see any deflection of the surface. Either of these mean big trouble.

Quote:
Also I don't have the time to work on the boat a lot, I really want to spend most of the time out on the water with it, not in the garage!
Just like everyone else. Unfortunately, it's a boat, and you will need to work on it (unless you're like some of my dive buddies, who simply drag it into the shop to have the work performed incorrectly, rather than doing it themselves. )

Quote:
So what do you all think, new cheap PVC, or used Hypalon?
Hypalon. And a decent make. I would suggest you stay away from the Asian PVC boats (there is a reason they're inexpensive.) Plus, depreciation is heaviest in the first year of ownership - might as well let someone else take that hit.

Luck with whatever you decide;

jky
Old 01 June 2010, 02:58   #4

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Are you certain that it is hypalon?

I wasn't aware that zodiac had offered Mk II sized futuras in hypalon. My understanding was that the futura hulled zodiacs that were made with hypalon were all from the mil-pro division were all Mk III size (F-470/FC-470) and larger. However, given that it was an ex SAR boat, it might be (a very rare) hypalon version.

If it is hypalon, it should be an excellent boat, and if it is in reasonable shape, will way outlast any brand new Asian PVC boat. Assuming that all 3 components (boat, motor & trailer) are all in good working order, anything around $ 5000ish CDN or less should be a pretty good deal.
Old 01 June 2010, 05:53   #5

Thanks for your advice, keep it coming

I only know it's Hypalon, because the seller says so tbh...is there a way to tell?
Also the boat is roughly a 2 day's trip away, so I haven't seen it in person yet, and since I am abroad until the end of June I can't even just drive up there, and the guy wants it sold.

He states the tubes are in a very good condition, it has a center console and a VHF antenna/radio. The floor seems to be made from (marine?)plywood with anti slip streaks, but it's all in one piece, with the foremost part being attached by hinges so you can flip it up.

To get it, I will probably have to pay half in advance and half when picking up, so I should be very sure it is what I want...otoh my local(ish) dealer seabright marine has this spring sale offer with a 5 year warranty...
http://www.seabrightmarine.ca/sd365.html

help lol :P

BeJay
Old 01 June 2010, 15:47   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Are you certain that it is hypalon?

I wasn't aware that zodiac had offered Mk II sized futuras in hypalon. My understanding was that the futura hulled zodiacs that were made with hypalon were all from the mil-pro division were all Mk III size (F-470/FC-470) and larger. However, given that it was an ex SAR boat, it might be (a very rare) hypalon version.
I thought Zodiac transitioned to PVC somewhere in the mid-90's. Previous boats (including consumer boats) were hypalon, no?

As I recall, a neighbor had an early 90's 12' Zodiac SIB (Futura) that was made of hypalon. That one was certainly not from the Military section.

jky
Old 06 June 2010, 08:41   #7

update

Ok, I talked to the current owner of the Futura some more, he says he *thinks* it's hypalon, because his other inflatable, a newer bombard is made from PVC, and "there is a huge difference in the thickness and the flexibility of the material".

Does that sound like Hypalon to you guys? Why is "strongan" so strongly disliked here, is it really that bad?
If it isn't Hypalon, I think I would rather get a new boat than a 13 year old one...

I heard good things of those Aquamarine boats, apart from the crappy seats they seem to be really liked by their owners, and I could get a nice 12-14 ft boat plus a used outboard and still come out ahead moneywise...that is what my wife prefers, because she claims (and rightfully so) that we don't really have a place for a trailer, especially over the winter.
What do you guys do with your trailers over the winter? Do you all have them indoors? How long will they survive in the backyard?
And are there any Aquamarine owners on here who could tell me about their experiences? What about Seabright, any experiences with them?

Sorry if I get on your nerves with my indecisiveness and all my questions, that's what happens when you deal over the internet only, in RL I would let my stomach decide lol.

BeJay
Old 06 June 2010, 11:37   #8

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
There is a way to tell here... http://www.experts123.com/q/how-can-...r-hypalon.html . I also kno wyou can tell if you can look through a valve, as the back is grey (this might not be an option to you).

Cheers,
Geoff