Old 26 February 2013, 20:58   #1

Town: blackpool
Length: 3m +
Engine: suzi df6
New sibber says howdy

Hi all. been lurkin a wee while. just bought me a fleabay sib, 2.6 s seago with suzi df6. Cant wait to get her afloat. mainly for inshore fishing off the fylde coast (blackpool / lytham). Hope to see some of you there.

Any tips on good sib areas around my location would be most appreciated.
Old 26 February 2013, 21:06   #2

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
Welcome aboard.
Learn the tides and get a handheld VHF to stay safe. The 1 day course is easy and plenty of cheap radios on the bay.
The RNLI will be happy to give you free advice.
Old 26 February 2013, 21:25   #3

Town: Lancashire , Scotland
Boat name: TARKA
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: 3.3,75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosstrooper View Post
Hi all. been lurkin a wee while. just bought me a fleabay sib, 2.6 s seago with suzi df6. Cant wait to get her afloat. mainly for inshore fishing off the fylde coast (blackpool / lytham). Hope to see some of you there.

Any tips on good sib areas around my location would be most appreciated.

Hi, Mosstrooper and welcome.

I too am from Blackpool , My advise is learn your boat first on either the river ribble or on the wyre, as the seas of the fylde coast are very unpredictable with such a small craft.

You can launch about 1/4 mile up from the windmill at lytham (towards blackpool , just before the road bends) for the river ribble.

Or at Stannah on the river wyre , be aware if you wander out past the Fleetwood lifeboat station , It become very choppy whe the tide is coming in over the sandbanks, I only go out past there in my RIB, even then it gets a bit hairy !!

If the sea is Flat calm off Blackpool you may be ok launching at Star Gate , but don,t venture too far as on an incoming tide over shallows sandbanks there usually become breakers there.

Make sure you let someone know where you are going and approx return times have a Good lifejacket aswell, the seas off Blackpool are unforgiving.

If you are contemplating going out in the next few weeks drop me a pm , If i,m not busy maybe I can join you , I havent used my sib yet(similar setup to you) ,and could do with giving it a test.
Old 02 March 2013, 19:57   #4

Town: blackpool
Engine: suzi df6
was out on maiden trip today down on the ribble at lytham. great fun and fairly flies with the 6hp. had a few stupid learning lessons !! at one point i was drifting fast on the strong tide , dropped an oar and couldnt start the motor (fuel tap wrong position) !!!

lesson 1 - your oars are your life and must be stowed properly after use

was a lovely day for it. i put her up and in water on my own. better with 2 obviously.