Old 22 February 2011, 18:26   #1

Town: Galveston, TX
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
New SIB owner says Hello from the Gulf Coast

Hey all,

Just got my Step Dads 1999 ish ? Avon Rover R380 wood bottom with a 2000 Yamaha 9.9
He used it up and down the West Coast and since moved to Galveston Island we got him an 18' Kenner Bay boat, so he gave me his Avon.

I have never owned a SIB, and spend all my time in my 26' Seacat offshore catamaran.
Now with this little dude we want to fish off the beaches and bayous and shallow back bays for Reds, trout , Flounder Etc, also all the surf species like Pompano, trout, Red Drum, Crevalle etc

He kept this is excellent condition, always covered, and comes with some EZ roller wheels, Portable FF, custom swivel seat/box over the tank, oars and wood floor.
All seams, transom joints are all in perfect shape. He used marine/ rubber carpets to protect the wood so it looks practically new. Searched Web and it said it was a 12' model,
but it looks a bit shorter than that, I haven't fully deployed it and measured

Hoping you seasoned SIB mariners could give me some advice ..

My questions to you folks

What kinds of things should I check for to ensure watertight integrity ( He hadn't used it for 4 years, but ran motor monthly)

What kind of performance can I expect from the 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke
( 2 people, gear 3 Gallon Plastic tank) MPH at WOT?

Have you all used this type of craft from the beach into the Surf ?
We have very gradual sloped beaches with short period waves
Sandbars are spaced out every 100' or so and fishing the 3rd gut around 8-10' can yield
some great fishing action. Especially when the water warms into the low 80's

How shallow can you run at cruise ? How does the wood bottom handle chop/swells

Anyway, great to be on this board. Regards to you and yours, and keep a weather eye on the horizon

Dave Elias
"Trusty Shellback"
Galveston Island, TX.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-0089.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	57214  
Old 24 February 2011, 16:00   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascoastalfish View Post
What kinds of things should I check for to ensure watertight integrity ( He hadn't used it for 4 years, but ran motor monthly)
Watertight? Put it in the water, let it sit for an hour, and look inside. A bit of leakage is pretty common on inflatables. Some actually get a decent amount (talking gallons) sitting at rest. As long as it doesn't come rushing in, it shouldn't be a huge issue.

Quote:
I would guess not much. I doubt you'll plane, so you'll be running at a few mph, pushing through the water (then again, I could be wrong. I have never run a boat with that small an engine.) The 3 gallon tank should last a while with that small an engine, though.

Quote:
Sandbars are spaced out every 100' or so and fishing the 3rd gut around 8-10' can yield
Shallow sloped beaches are easier for launching, but can also be rather treacherous if the swell is up. The surf break spreads out over a longer distance, which means traversing it becomes more dangerous (or rather, as dangerous for a longer time.)

Quote:
Put the boat in the water, and load it up, and drop a tape measure to see where the bottom of the prop is. That's your draft at rest. You'll be a little shalloer when running, but I would use caution about running full speed into water skinnier than your at-rest draft. When the water gets shallow, I slow down. Way down.

Luck with the fishing, and have fun with the boat;

jky
Old 25 February 2011, 13:30   #3

Thanks for the response,

I have since scrubbed the rover clean, and decarbed the 9.9 with a Seafoam treatment ( I do this on my big motors every 6 months or so) My Dad says it would plane and move along nicely ( but he thinks 15 mph in his bay boat is fast...) So I will find out this weekend when I'll take it through the canals and if all goes well take it off the beach for some Pompano fishing outside the surf. Ill check out cruise and WOT MPH with my GPS

Thanks again
Old 25 February 2011, 15:15   #4
RIBnet Supporter

I think it will plane, just.

Make sure you sit as far forward as you can - use a tiller extension (you can make one from plastic waste pipe)

Correct tube pressure is CRITICAL for SIB performance.
Underinflation = Underperformance
Old 25 February 2011, 15:49   #5

I have the original foot pump. How would I check the PSI and what should it be ?
Can I over inflate with a foot pump ?

On a side note. Do you use any sort of foil on your outboards ? I have Stainless Cobra Edges
on My twin engine cat and they are great. wondering if they help on underpowered SIB's
Saw a set of these claiming to work miracles. Thoughts ?
http://www.allinflatables.com/shoppi...ers/index.html
Thanks !
Old 25 February 2011, 16:12   #6
RIBnet Supporter

I don't know what your pressures should be - but the inflated keel will most likely be higher than the tubes. You'd need to check this with someone who is sure... A small gauge for checking pressures would be a big help.

A pair of doel fins on the motor leg might help you plane more easily but I'd check her out without them first, they don't work miracles.
Old 25 February 2011, 22:08   #7

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascoastalfish View Post
Hey all,

Just got my Step Dads 1999 ish ? Avon Rover R380 wood bottom with a 2000 Yamaha 9.9
He used it up and down the West Coast and since moved to Galveston Island we got him an 18' Kenner Bay boat, so he gave me his Avon.

I have never owned a SIB, and spend all my time in my 26' Seacat offshore catamaran.
Now with this little dude we want to fish off the beaches and bayous and shallow back bays for Reds, trout , Flounder Etc, also all the surf species like Pompano, trout, Red Drum, Crevalle etc

He kept this is excellent condition, always covered, and comes with some EZ roller wheels, Portable FF, custom swivel seat/box over the tank, oars and wood floor.
All seams, transom joints are all in perfect shape. He used marine/ rubber carpets to protect the wood so it looks practically new. Searched Web and it said it was a 12' model,
but it looks a bit shorter than that, I haven't fully deployed it and measured

Hoping you seasoned SIB mariners could give me some advice ..

My questions to you folks

Anyway, great to be on this board. Regards to you and yours, and keep a weather eye on the horizon

Dave Elias
"Trusty Shellback"
Galveston Island, TX.
Surly that boat is not a SIB?looking at the picture
Old 25 February 2011, 22:19   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
Surly that boat is not a SIB?looking at the picture
Is is, the "Bouncy Castle" company make 'em to look just like REAL boats
Old 26 February 2011, 08:36   #9

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Is is, the "Bouncy Castle" company make 'em to look just like REAL boats
LOL,you could well be right there
Old 26 February 2011, 12:25   #10

Naw...Thats my 26' Seacat "Elenita" I haven't posted any pics of the Sib yet. I went and got a new plastic 3 gallon tank, fuel connections to replace the deteriorated ones, some anchor rode, repaired the sections of carpet and built a motor stand. I'm going to put a Bimini of some kind on it. Ever seen of those Dingy Shade tops ? http://www.dinghyconcepts.com/Dinghy_Shade.htm. Kinda pricey for some fiberglass poles and some material, but I want some sort of top to keep out of the South Texas sun. I also want to install rod holders. How do yall mount them in a SIB ? I've seen some mounted to transom at 30 degree angles.

Like I said Ive been pretty much offshore with my boats, but want to customize this guy for inshore,bayous and rivers and to introduce the grand kids to boating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0151.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	57275