Old 23 February 2020, 11:45   #1

Town: Malmesbury
Boat name: Wheres Dorris
Make: OCEAN
Length: 6m +
Engine: EVINRUDE ETEC 150 G1
new set up for fuel

Whn I have the floor out to be replaced in the Ocean, I thought about updating and replacing all the fuel lines etc. While I've got it out I thought I would put some redundancy in place so I have the ability to isolate the fuel source too.

The boat has a below deck tank, I'm not sure of size at the moment, but will drain, wash out and work out the size before putting it all back together.

My thoughts are to put a removable fuel tank in place, somewhere around 25l. By doing this I have a separate fuel source in case of contamination or issue with the main fuel system, plus a removable tank if I end up somewhere where I have to fill up and carry to the boat.

this drawing is my plan as it stands.

I'd be interested in your opinions. Overkill? missed something?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 12.16.44 PM.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	132176  
Old 23 February 2020, 11:54   #2

Sorry, I've realised I managed to put this in the wrong section, it should be in general RIB stuff. Can a mod move it over or shall I just recreate teh post int he correct thread area?
Old 23 February 2020, 15:18   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Sorted
Old 23 February 2020, 16:04   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
new set up for fuel

Probably a bit overkill! If you do go down that route I wouldn’t have both tanks going through the same filter/separator as you’re stuffed if the filter gets blocked or it fills up with water. Keep everything separate otherwise it defeats the object. Why not simply have the portable tank just for your aux engine with a simple hose/priming bulb that can be brought out as and when you need to use it, along with the ability to plug it into your main tank if the need ever arose? Keep it simple!
Old 23 February 2020, 18:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Sorted

Thank you.
Old 23 February 2020, 18:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Probably a bit overkill! If you do go down that route I wouldn’t have both tanks going through the same filter/separator as you’re stuffed if the filter gets blocked or it fills up with water. Keep everything separate otherwise it defeats the object. Why not simply have the portable tank just for your aux engine with a simple hose/priming bulb that can be brought out as and when you need to use it, along with the ability to plug it into your main tank if the need ever arose? Keep it simple!

The plan would be for two separate filters/separators, 1 from the small tank, 1 from the primary.

They only engine trouble over ever experienced on a yacht was due to a dodgy seal on the separator, getting air into the system.

Once bitten twice shy, as they say.
Old 23 February 2020, 22:31   #7

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
If you are going down the route of two tanks to reduce the risk of contamination, I'd also have a filter between the primary and the secondary tank so you can 'polish' the fuel going into the secondary tank and remove the risk of pumping contaminated fuel from you primary tank into your secondary tank. I don't think I'd go with a reversible pump because you could just pour or jiggle syphon the fuel from the secondary tank into the primary tank, if you were transferring in that direction

You do end up with three filters - primary tank to engine, secondary tank to engine and primary tank to secondary tank.

An alternative would be to dispense with the secondary tank and polish the fuel in the primary tank.
Old 24 February 2020, 12:14   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i take it you will be filling up from the same petrol pump if so both would be contaminated one fuel separator would do [see through glass]a transfer pump not needed you could tee the fuel line off disconnect from the secondary tank and use the main tank with a quarter turn valve in the line to isolate that when using the secondary tank i use to have three tanks in my rib 70ltr main and two 22ltr secondary i would use half of the main then switch to the secondary's using them to fill up at the petrol station and top up the main just a suggestion.
Old 25 February 2020, 21:12   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takson View Post
Whn I have the floor out to be replaced in the Ocean, I thought about updating and replacing all the fuel lines etc. While I've got it out I thought I would put some redundancy in place so I have the ability to isolate the fuel source too.

The boat has a below deck tank, I'm not sure of size at the moment, but will drain, wash out and work out the size before putting it all back together.

My thoughts are to put a removable fuel tank in place, somewhere around 25l. By doing this I have a separate fuel source in case of contamination or issue with the main fuel system, plus a removable tank if I end up somewhere where I have to fill up and carry to the boat.

this drawing is my plan as it stands.

I'd be interested in your opinions. Overkill? missed something?

Personally I think you’re over thinking/engineering it, & that’s coming from an inveterate over engineerer.
Every joint has the potential to leak petrol out & air in. You’re introducing more failure points than the risks you’ve mitigated.
All imo naturally.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 00:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Personally I think you’re over thinking/engineering it, & that’s coming from an inveterate over engineerer.
Every joint has the potential to leak petrol out & air in. You’re introducing more failure points than the risks you’ve mitigated.
All imo naturally.

good point.

I was taking inspiration from Steve Dashew's offshore setups and simplifying them, (Day tank, many filters, redundant lines etc), but the fact that going on the water with a boat with an engine is where the similarities in our journeys end!