Old 23 January 2022, 14:16   #1

Town: SoCal
Make: Zodiac Classic Mark1
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 5hp
New Owner! Zodiac MK 1 Classic

I am the new owner of this model!

https://www.zodiac-nautic.com/en-us/...lassic-mark-i/

Drove 650 miles round trip for her. She is a beaut! Used one time by original owner and then stored away in his garage for 11 years! Like new condition. All OEM parts accessories included.

He inflated it three days prior to my arrival and it was holding 3.5psi......solid as a rock.

Just a few questions to get me started.....

1. Looking for a high quality, reliable, 12volt inflation pump. What say the members here?

2. What type/name of tube valves are used in this vintage Zodiac? They are simple push in to deflate, push again to seal. There is no turning when pushing as some other valves I have seen.

What type/name of the valve is used for the keel? It looks like a simple rubber flap. It can be unscrewed and removed from the valve body.

3. How can I check for floor leaks? I want to be sure floor does not leak before I take her out. I was thinking of inflating boat and keel, raising off ground a foot or so, and putting some water inside boat. How much water? Thoughts?

Thank you to all those who responded to my questions and provided guidance and assistance over the last couple of months as I compared and searched for the right boat.
Old 24 January 2022, 18:26   #2

Town: Falun
Make: Zodiac Futura Mk 2c
Engine: Suzuki DF20A
Checking for leaks should be pretty straightforward. I would just inflate the boat to the correct pressure. Note the ambient temperature, and leave the boat for a few days. If you have a leak that will probably be evident after a few days. Then check the pressure. Make sure that the ambient temperature is about the same when inflating and checking.

To find a leak, just spray soapy water all over the compartment that is leaking. Pay special attention to the valves themselves. That is the most likely place to leak.
Old 24 January 2022, 19:20   #3

Thanks dhaglund for addressing #3.....

What about water entry leaks at floor...how to check for them without putting boat in water?
Old 24 January 2022, 20:06   #4

Town: Falun
Make: Zodiac Futura Mk 2c
Engine: Suzuki DF20A
Oh, I thought you were mostly worried about leaks from the air-floor. But maybe you have the alu-floor? Sure, you could certainly fill the boat with water and watch for leaks. If you want to test it to the correct water pressure you would have to fill up water to the same weight as you would load the boat when boating. I would however be weary of this since the boat would get very heavy and on land it is only supported underneath in a few spots. In the water the whole bottom will take the pressure.

Actually, I wouldn't worry about testing the boat on land. Minor leaks, air or water, are only an annoyance. You're going to have to test the boat in the water anyway so this will work itself out.

I have not tried it, but you should be able to empty the boat from water by taking out the transom plugs, bring the boat on plane and put the plugs back while on plane. I can't imagine doing this alone though. Hanging off the back at full speed without steering.
Old 24 January 2022, 22:20   #5

Thanks dhaglund.

Yes, it has the HD alu-floor. Heavy son of a gun! I guess a water test is in order!

Still need to determine which valves it has (tubes and keel).
Old 25 January 2022, 03:29   #6
Spammer

To check for leaks just inflate the boat on the ground. Slide newspaper under the tubes all around and fill the boat with a garden hose. If it leaks it will almost always be where the hull attaches to the tubes, and you'll be able to spot the leak source easily with newspaper.

Your keel valves might be Boston valves.
Old 27 January 2022, 15:36   #7

I determined the tube valves are push-push valves (easy push) and the keel is a Delrin valve. Need to locate spares in the US. Also, looking for the Zodiac deck runner/chariots (part Z1201). Amazingly high prices for Zodiac parts!!!

Tags
zodiac