Old 18 May 2023, 20:35   #21

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Length: 3m +
Hi Chipko.
The pictures show it is very close in design to Takacat. The transom set up is almost identical. Current Takacats have a lower top bar than earlier models, and don’t have the blanking plugs on the tube ends, but fittings into the hull tubes are the same. Even the launching wheels look the same, other than yours has square section tubing. Takacat ( now) warn against fitting the wheels facing forward, underneath the tubes, to avoid contact between the tyres and tubes. Might be worth checking if you’ve got sufficient clearance!
Outboard height looks fairly similar to my LX300, with a Suzuki 6.
Other fittings look much the same.
Looking forward to your views of it in use.
What pressures do the tubes run at? ( mine are 3.5 psi for tubes, 10 psi for air floor)
Old 19 May 2023, 06:14   #22

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Hi Old seahorse,

Yes unashamedly a Takacat clone and will soon find out if they should have also copied the current lower profile transom.
Thanks for the heads up on wheels I’ll keep an eye on them, although with more than 50mm clearance they look ok to be fair.
Recommended max pressures 0.25 bar tubes and 0.8 bar hp floor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6268.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	142693
Old 19 May 2023, 06:19   #23

Town: Colchester
Looks good.

When I spoke to Boatworld at the SBS Boatshow they said they were going to get a tie down strap fitted to the floor for the fuel tank.... Looks like this has not been done or is this one a pre production model ?
Old 19 May 2023, 06:33   #24

New Boatworld Kat

Yes this is the actual pre production boat we saw at the show. I understand from Boatworld a few detail tweaks, like eyelets for securing tank to floor etc, have been incorporated on production models following initial feedback from idiots like us! Boatworld would need to confirm exact details of these at this stage.
Old 19 May 2023, 06:41   #25

Ahh that makes sense as they are saying delivery July. Lets hope they listened to some of the feedback and also lets hope the Transom height is ok.

Looks a nice new Twatso you have there
Old 19 May 2023, 23:15   #26

New Boatworld Kat

Super up here today in the frozen north with a gentle cross shore breeze, small lazy swell inside the reefs and a mild chop further out….time to get the little Kat wet.

A breeze to pull through the dunes and down the beach on our big wheeled trolley. Easily launched with the included transom wheels and didn’t notice too much nose weight despite fully loaded with 12l fuel tank, anchor tub and kit bag.

After warming up the motor we were off and it all worked straight out of the box, which for a ‘cat’ is pretty impressive. Any reservations of motor sat a bit high were unfounded as only very minor ventilation experienced. Ran with virtually no ventilation fully trimmed in on pin one (transom is vertical on these). Trimming out to pin two, arguably more ideal for ride trim, resulted in intermittent ventilation particularly getting out the hole. We did experience some splashing on both trim settings, slightly more pronounced downwind, but nothing too serious and certainly not coming back into boat. Of course, the above is only pertinent to this motor/boat combination and conditions on the day. A cupped prop and/or a hydrofoil (Permatrim are good) are often recommended upgrades to sort stubborn catamaran ventilation issues

Performance with the Tohatsu 9.8 two stroke running stock prop, one up plus kit, pops quickly onto the plane and tops out at a very impressive top speed of just over 19 knots nudging 6000rpm. Running at a more relaxed 4500 and 5000rpm cruising speeds of 14 and 16 knots respectively. The Kat will remain on the plane down to around 11/12 knots.

Ride wise it’s everything you’d expect from a ‘cat’. Nice and stable just pootling around with its big tubes and a dry ride, open it up though and it’s a little hooligan! Wind on the revs it pops quickly up onto the plane and then the air cushion can be really worked if you keep the power on to seriously smooth out the ride in chop. Definitely a better, and faster, ride head to wind/waves. In a following sea/downwind, then slightly prone to a little bow steering now and again, just to keep you on your toes, and harder to keep that air cushion working for you. Tracks really well and corners flat with tenacious grip in tight turns, so well you need to hang on or sit low. Will also be good fun playing in the surf zone (no waves today) where the open transoms instantly shed any water taken onboard.

Overall build quality and materials, even on this pre production model, look more than acceptable and particularly at this price point. Only real negative comment would be the tubes are single chamber….but then so are Takacats at this length.

For anyone interested in one of the Kiwi Takacat/TrueKit catamarans, or indeed anyone just after something sporty or a little different, then certainly worth adding the Kat Sport to your shortlist.

Name:	IMG_3094.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	142696

Name:	IMG_3134.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	142697

Name:	IMG_6294.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	142698

Name:	IMG_3146.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	142699

Name:	IMG_6298.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	142700
Old 20 May 2023, 04:24   #27

Nice write up and it sounds good will you be buying one or will you keep this one. What do you think it would be like with a 15 hp 2 stroke like the yam
Old 20 May 2023, 07:56   #28

Thanks Easedalenovice. Yes very impressed with this little boat and if we were after something this size I’d definitely add one to our fleet. Really after something a tad longer, 3.8m would be ideal, but who knows, after a few more days testing in hopefully different conditions, we may not want to give it back.
I would however wait for the production models to land and see what minor tweaks Boatworld have made.
I think it would be a blast with your Yam 15. Went really well one up with the 9.8 but with those big tubes feel it could easily handle the extra 10kg weight and power of the 15.
Old 20 May 2023, 08:11   #29

I reckon there are a few following this with interest, Chipko.
It’s good to see the transom height/ engine combination works well, straight out of the box. It took a permatrim on my Takacat /Suzuki 6 to get the performance right and reduce cavitation/ ventilation. You are about 4 knots up on speed with that motor. I need to fit a tachometer to check mine properly.
If you get chance to try in some surf, it’s great fun, as long as you travel light, or secure your kit in dry bags!
Tracking seems similar to mine- very stable and accurate.
I noticed you didn’t fit the helm seat. Is that preference or position of the seat?
The possible addition of tank straps would be good, although I manage by having the tank well forward if travelling solo, for balance, and run a couple of bungees through the tank handle to both tubes to secure.
Thanks for giving us your thoughts- it may well increase interest in this type of sib.
Old 20 May 2023, 08:15   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Thanks Easedalenovice. Yes very impressed with this little boat and if we were after something this size I’d definitely add one to our fleet. Really after something a tad longer, 3.8m would be ideal, but who knows, after a few more days testing in hopefully different conditions, we may not want to give it back.
I would however wait for the production models to land and see what minor tweaks Boatworld have made.
I think it would be a blast with your Yam 15. Went really well one up with the 9.8 but with those big tubes feel it could easily handle the extra 10kg weight and power of the 15.
I have been reading up about the boats this is a copy off and most are saying it is difficult in any sort of waves. Will be interesting how you feel in this regard. Sort of put me off to be honest but will wait for your review in the chop
Old 20 May 2023, 08:17   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old seahorse View Post
I reckon there are a few following this with interest, Chipko.
It’s good to see the transom height/ engine combination works well, straight out of the box. It took a permatrim on my Takacat /Suzuki 6 to get the performance right and reduce cavitation/ ventilation. You are about 4 knots up on speed with that motor. I need to fit a tachometer to check mine properly.
If you get chance to try in some surf, it’s great fun, as long as you travel light, or secure your kit in dry bags!
Tracking seems similar to mine- very stable and accurate.
I noticed you didn’t fit the helm seat. Is that preference or position of the seat?
The possible addition of tank straps would be good, although I manage by having the tank well forward if travelling solo, for balance, and run a couple of bungees through the tank handle to both tubes to secure.
Thanks for giving us your thoughts- it may well increase interest in this type of sib.
Have you any videos of how your Takakat performes would be interesting
Old 20 May 2023, 08:47   #32

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Great review Chipko as usual. Looks ideal for an easy to handle fun outfit particularly with it not needing a 15hp to get a decent performance. Be interesting to see what it's like two up. If you remember our biggest issue with the Elling was with two adults in anything other than flat calm the floor would hit waves/chop running between the tube with a jarring slap. Never got to try the Elling one up to see if that issue was negated by a lighter load.
Old 20 May 2023, 08:48   #33

New Boatworld Kat

Quote:

Just personal preference, I like to sit on the floor. Helm seat position seems fine even though I didn’t use it. Sat on the foreword seat to test how it rowed, which was fine.
Old 20 May 2023, 11:14   #34

Quote:
The possible addition of tank straps would be good, although I manage by having the tank well forward if travelling solo, for balance, and run a couple of bungees through the tank handle.

Yes agree, and fingers crossed the production models will incorporate something.

Not really a problem without as easy enough to loop cheap luggage straps under floor as tie downs. [emoji106]

Name:	IMG_6370.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	142701
Old 20 May 2023, 11:18   #35

I’m happy to sit on the tube, or can use the inflatable doughnut supplied, but having the others give you the option.
I do have a few short videos of mine, but only in fairly flat water, and I’m not tech savvy enough to put on here, Easedalenovice!
I’ve been out in some chop, and swell. Whether it handles any better or worse than other sibs, I can’t say. It’s certainly more affected then ribs, and my previous v hull boat, but I’ve little experience of other sibs. I’ve not been phased by it’s handling.
There are plenty of u tube and takacat videos online to look at, and one or two in big surf you could look at to decide, though.
Old 20 May 2023, 11:33   #36

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Great review chipko, any idea what the max OB weight is?
Old 20 May 2023, 11:37   #37

Take a look at the TrueKit guys playing in some serious surf in a 4m with 9.9 two stroke. Kudos for leaving in the faux pas around two mins in which could have turned nasty.

https://youtu.be/EDYZpI4WuwM
Old 20 May 2023, 12:01   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Great review chipko, any idea what the max OB weight is?

Thanks Steve.
Sorry don’t know, max 15hp stated on transom but no max weight….Boatworld may be able confirm.
Gut feel a 15hp two stroke at 36kg will be no bother in both power and weight. Not too sure about the 45/50kilo modern four strokes though. The big tubes and stubby cone ends will be plenty buoyant but the transom fixing system may struggle long term.
Old 22 May 2023, 12:22   #39

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Just received an email from Boatworld confirming that max OB weight is 50kg.
Old 22 May 2023, 18:55   #40

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Just received an email from Boatworld confirming that max OB weight is 50kg.
25hp 2 stroke would fit perfectly