Old 02 November 2010, 12:32   #1

Town: Gweek - Cornwall
Length: no boat
New Boat - will it plane ?

Hello, My first post !

Ok we are looking to buy a SIB - Honwave 3.5 - 4.0 with aluminium floor and a 10HP Honda ? - Used for messing about and explorering.

First question will it plane with 10HP and two people on board (~130KG)?

Dave
Old 02 November 2010, 13:33   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Firstly, Welcome!

The simple answer is probably, althoguh you may need to dance forward to get it over the hump. I guess if you are looking at something that size & want to plane a 15HP may be more sensible, although if buying new may stretch your budget, or become too much of pain to lift in & out the car (if you are planning on collapsing it each time)

Other option - Buy it with the 10, if it doesn't perform, trade the engine in for a bigger one! (remember to check the Boat's maximum first tho'!)
Old 02 November 2010, 14:19   #3

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Mr Boops
Make: HONWAVE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 18Hp Tohatsu 2stroke
Hi
My 3.5 Honwave will plane with 2 adults and a six year old in (as long as its flat calm) with just me and the boy in it goes really well.
Thats with a 8Hp 2stroke yamaha on the back thats 30years old!
I would say if you could get a 2 stroke 10 that would be fine,but i wish i had a 15 on mine for when its a big tide or out in a swell.
Thats when it makes a big difference in performance as sibs aint exactly the most dynamic hull shape! if your ahead of a swell and you cant outrun it you just get dragged back.(good fun going along the swell surfing though when you get it right!)
Cheers
Paul.
Old 02 November 2010, 18:06   #4

Town: eastbourne
Make: quicksilver
Engine: mercury 15
ive got a doel fin on my 15 merc,brings me on the plane straight away without having to lean forward.this may be something to consider. andy w
Old 03 November 2010, 10:56   #5

Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
I have a yam 360s and 20hp 2 stroke, it gets on the plains at a min. of around 12 -14 mph, with 2.5 people in. So you need to push the boat at over 10 knots just to get over your own wave, very easy and a joy with 20 hp. Don't get an under powered boat for use at sea.

In following seas you can match the speed of most swells with a bigger engine, so you can either surf or just stay in the part of the wave swell you feel comfy at.

I think a 10hp will be OK 75% of the time but there will be times you wish you had a bit more, a bigger engine is heavier for lifting on and off, but just like a 1.1 car or a good 2 litre car, both get you there but the experience is very different...
Old 03 November 2010, 12:56   #6

Thanks to all for replying, I never owned a boat and just looking at the possibilities and a SIB seems it would fit the bill.

Its all down to economy, weight, performance, ease of use and price and I think for me starting out 10HP would be fine just messing around on the Helford river and maybe out to sea - hence the question about plaining (8 Knot limit on the Helford I think)

Thanks again to every one - This seems a really good informative forum.

Dave.
Old 03 November 2010, 16:12   #7

myozone

Nice part of the world you live in. I'm sure you can get plenty of local advice about tides/currents etc. The engine size is I suppose down to the profile of the boating you will undertake and hence performance in tide, wind and swell. The 1.1 versus 2 litre car analogy is most appropriate.

If you stray out of the Helford plan your trip with care. In a former life I flew Sea King helicopters from just down the road from you and have great respect for the waters around the Lizard peninsular!
Old 04 November 2010, 14:18   #8

I made some lifters/tabs for my boat and it planes now at very slow speeds.(6-7knots)
Also i have made them so i can have launching wheels at the same time and the lifters/tabs remove with just a wingnut to undo.
It was the best purchase i have made this little boat,me and my son have so much fun (especially with the wheels on.You can just drag it out anywhere and go for a walk or play on the beach!) and also once your used to it playing in the sea in slightly rough conditions jumping waves,surfing etc.A great little hobby that really helps you have fun on the sea and really start appreciating the beauty of where you live!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050351.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	55354   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050352.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	55355   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050354.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	55356  
Old 04 November 2010, 18:57   #9

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Quote:
Originally Posted by myozone View Post
Hello, My first post !

Ok we are looking to buy a SIB - Honwave 3.5 - 4.0 with aluminium floor and a 10HP Honda ? - Used for messing about and explorering.

First question will it plane with 10HP and two people on board (~130KG)?

Dave
Simply yes it will, my first boat was a 3.3 sib with a mercury 8hp 4 stroke on the back. It was very quick with just me on board and still planed with ease with two of us in it. ass a third and we had no chance. You will be suprised the amount you will get out of it. Great fun. Get a drysuit for colder days and the fun goes on till November.
Old 04 November 2010, 19:02   #10

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Quote:
Originally Posted by myozone View Post
Thanks to all for replying, I never owned a boat and just looking at the possibilities and a SIB seems it would fit the bill.

Its all down to economy, weight, performance, ease of use and price and I think for me starting out 10HP would be fine just messing around on the Helford river and maybe out to sea - hence the question about plaining (8 Knot limit on the Helford I think)

Thanks again to every one - This seems a really good informative forum.

Dave.
Are you going to be leaving it up and use a mini trailer or going to use it from the boot of your car. I did the boot option for a year before finally getting so annoyed with all the pumping up, fitting out, lifting and pulling up and down the beach and ended up going for a small rib the next yeatr. Having said that we had about 6 hours out with only £10 worth of fuel, so economy wise they are perfect.
Old 05 November 2010, 10:49   #11

Hi Tommo that looks like a good idea with the tabs, what are they made of ? .The boat would be left up and deflated over winter in the garage and transported with a small trailer behind my car - a Polo.

The original idea was to have a Canadian canoe ! with an electric trolling motor, then I looked at small outboards and came across Honda's 2.3 HP then found Honda made SIB's and the as they say the rest is history. I feel now that a SIB's is the better option with being able to take more than two people aboard and more sea worthy .....
Old 05 November 2010, 13:59   #12

HI
They are made of aluminium plates for the moment just to see if it would work.
I want to find some type of plastic eventually to do the job.
It works great the boat is definately better with them.
The 3.5 Honwave is great i have had 3 kids and 2 adults in it with room to spare!
I too keep it on a trailer i built myself from unistrut which works great for a boat that prob only weighs about 100kg with engine.
I tried blowing it up every time but that soon got on my nerves,so then i tried lifting it onto the car roof but at 72kilos it was a real struggle hence the trailer.
Easy to launch and the trailer will go on its side in a corner if the car park is full.
I am actually down in Paignton so similar geography to you so the boat got used alot in the summer and am hoping to still use it on nice winter days on the river dart or the sea weather permitting.
Old 09 November 2010, 19:07   #13

Town: Marple
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
SIBs

We've got a Zodiac 285s (solid floor) with a little 6hp Mercury 4 stroke on the back, and it will plane easily with two of us on board, achieving 14-15mph on the GPS.