Old 13 April 2014, 07:55   #21

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
There might even be room to just loosen, slide across the main and mount the aux, enough to get you home anyway.
Old 13 April 2014, 23:07   #22

Make: aerotec 380
Thanks chaps , yes that could be an option sliding the main over . I just know if I needed it I would make it happen somehow and be glad I had the little backup.
Old 14 April 2014, 13:04   #23

Town: Essex
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp
I've been adapting brackets for my sib, as has kaman, see other thread. Used it in place first time this wknd and its a nice feeling having a back up. I managed to move from my storage bracket onto transom bracket, no problems. Its also 13 kg. But my main stays in place. Took some designing though! Mine is a little wider though. Good luck
Old 14 April 2014, 19:52   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Thanks chaps , yes that could be an option sliding the main over . I just know if I needed it I would make it happen somehow and be glad I had the little backup.
It's not like you plan this manoeuvre every trip out. I think it's very sensible of you to take an aux engine. I can understand to a point that this could be considered a risky thing to do, but only if your physical strength isn't up to much. I'd imagine you will be kneeling inside the boat while lifting the engine off. I think I could manage this even with my honda 15 fourstroke. Life jacket on, maybe even a tether to the boat just I case I fell in. Where do you draw the line?
Old 14 April 2014, 21:26   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post

No my original post states my intentions of stowing on the deck , i know there is no room on the transom.
Backup as i often go a few miles from where i launch and my car is ,to isolated tidal spots . So just feel a lot happier with it knowing i can get myself home to where i launched from if my main goes down and i dont have to bother the coastguard or try and make landfall somewhere to then be miles from my car etc. Makes alot of sense to me for the sake of a couple of hundered quid and and afew extra kilos
I hear what you are saying. In certain seas / tides / coastal locations you would be off your head to go to sea without a back up engine. Don't fancy the idea of an aux strapped to an airdeck if the sea kicks up when you are out in the brine tho!
I would go for 2 smaller outboards which can be simultaneously mounted on the transom if I were you or make or get fabricated a bolt on transom mount for the aux to be clamped to.
Failing that 'Gonna have to get a bigger boat'. I wasn't ready for the bigger boat so got the welder out and made a bolt on outrigger thingy me bobber to carry and deploywthe aux.
It ain't pretty but it works and gives a bit of peace of mind.
Old 14 April 2014, 21:57   #26

Town: Essex
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp
I dont suppose the aux will be rolling around. I did consider making mine a ply box which would be fine on an air deck so long as corners rounded and strapped down. Even if not a box but just on a sheet of ply. It all makes sense.
Old 14 April 2014, 22:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bass Stalker View Post
I dont suppose the aux will be rolling around. I did consider making mine a ply box which would be fine on an air deck so long as corners rounded and strapped down. Even if not a box but just on a sheet of ply. It all makes sense.
That wooden box sounds eerily like a mini coffin to me!
I don't fancy going to Sea with that onboard.
Still if I were on an airdeck going to sea as described by OP I would rather have an aux in a ply box, ready to go than nowt.
As I have discovered a set of oars is no good at sea in a Sib when you are vs wind and tide.
Old 15 April 2014, 21:33   #28

Make: aerotec 380
Well I do have a padded engine bag for mine and I have lined this with carpet so no chance of any nasty bits digging in to airfloor . Plus its only 13kg , my fuel tank weighs more ! and that has to be strapped down so I think it will be fine