Click Here to Login

Old 29 September 2010, 03:12   #1

Town: Annapolis
Boat name: Lil Red
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard Yamaha 50
Need some help on seat ideas for my Zodaic Futura

My aluminum supports for my driver seats are cracked on my Futura. Stress from hitting some bumps did the trick. These supports ride in the alum track and screw to the bottom of the bench seat. One problem is that my seats have tall backs. I think this put too much pressure on the front half of the brackets.

Replacement for these brackets is very expensive. Thinking about using other type of seat for the driver/passenger seat. This is where I need some ideas, and hopefully pics.

Hopefully some of you can share your seat ideas.

Thanks,

Brent
Old 29 September 2010, 14:50   #2

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
I have not cracked or broken an OEM seat support, but I did get wear in the track and on the ends of the supports. I liked the ease of changing my set up with the OEM supports, but have gone with a fixed mount instead. My console bench, the seat bench and my ski pole are all attached by bolting to backing plates in the hollow floor sections. The backing plates extend out to the very edge of the floor. When the floor is assembled these plates effectively key into the the locking rail making a very strong and secure attachment. The seats and console just attach directly to the backing plates. For the gas tank, battery and ski pole I attached a plate across the floor first. The thin floor top sheet just wasn't going to work for the loads applied.

The system isn't as easily changed, but I have pulled my fixed mounts for a special use that needed clear deck space. It was a pain and I plugged the bolt holes while the mounts were removed. The best thing about the fixed mount mod is that the space under my console wasn't taken up by the support braces. I raised the console a little too. Gas tank and battery are stashed underneath. The floor space below my seats is also wide open. Great place to strap down dry bags.

Clearly not for everyone, but maybe my application will give you some ideas. Picked up the aluminum c beam as scrap from my local Industrial Metal Supply (like a candy store for me). My top end speed may suffer, but the vessel is very useable for my applications.

This is one of the seat supports in place.

A view of the backing plates in the hollow floor sections for my ski pole mount.

Not the thing to do if you aren't trailering your boat! But sure opens up the deck space (with gas tank and battery out from underfoot) and the mounts hold up to my suspension seating.
Old 30 September 2010, 00:45   #3

Kelson, thanks for the pics and ideas. Nice looking set up by the way. Brent
Old 30 September 2010, 14:34   #4

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
My fixed mount system isn't for everyone, but I sure do like the mounting flexibility that the zodiac aluminum floor offers (whether it's using the track or mounting directly to the floor). Be sure to post back with whatever seating system you decide to roll with! I'm always looking for inspiration and new ideas.
Old 01 October 2010, 14:00   #5

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsprad View Post
Replacement for these brackets is very expensive.
Brent, I'm curious. What kind of pricing have you found to replace those brackets?
Old 02 October 2010, 14:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Pike View Post
Brent, I'm curious. What kind of pricing have you found to replace those brackets?
Finally found the brackets from an internet company called IBC in Oregon. My local Zodiac retailer (large) never got back to me with the info. A set of brackets with hardward (set of track stops and the bolt/bench attachment) cost me $150.

Decided to stay with the OEM stuff right now, just got the boat mid season. The last owner put on high back seats, which puts a lot of to pressure on the brackets. I am removing the high backs and replacing with 4 inch tall padded back. This will give lower back support for the driver but eliminate the extra stress (hopefully).

As I get more familair with the boat I think I will move to a permanent seat but not real sure I will be deflating the boat in the off season. Thinking I will let out some air and store it on the trailer.