Old 17 February 2013, 17:23   #1

Length: no boat
need help or opinions on this used Zodiac

I am looking at a Zodiac MK2 GR. The owner told me it is either a 2004 or 2006. The asking price is $2000usd. I would be wanting to use maybe a 30 or 40hp motor and a small jockey console. Would that be appropriate for this boat, also is $2000 too much.....
here is the link:
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/boa/3578601782.html
Any help with this would be great.....Thanks Greg
Old 17 February 2013, 17:36   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Zodiacs often have around a 10 year life before the glue will start failing. They are repairable, but factor that into the price. How they are stored will greatly affect that lifespan. The material itself will actually last a long. I would say too high of a price, but I am not well informed. The boat looks faded and dirty to me. Negotiate a better price and it might be worth it, but you better have valid reasoning. If it were me, I would offer $1200 and try to settle in the middle-ish at $1500.
Old 17 February 2013, 17:48   #3

The owner has told me it has been in storage the last four years, and prior to that was used for training purposes......he mentioned it being a military/rescue boat, and that it is hypalon......I asked him if he has a title and if it was negotiable (still waiting on a response), I will be sure to mention that the glue will be breaking down.....
Old 17 February 2013, 19:10   #4

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
Last 2 digits of the serial number will be year of manufacture.
Old 18 February 2013, 00:38   #5

Another question. Knowing that this gr mk2 is hypalon. I have come very close many times to buying a mk3 futura with a 60hp and seating/console. I can get into a brand new mk3 futura ready to go with a 60hp and trailer for 15,000. Would that be the better decision, as I think it would be more comfortable as well as more room. I know the futura is PVC and not hypalon, but it will be brand new with a warranty. The gr will probably end up costing me about 8,000 by the time I find a motor/trailer/and a small jockey console with all the necessary hardware. I will be using the boat around the cheseake bay for cruising fishing/crabbing and possibly some camping. The GR is already 10yrs old.......hmmmmm I am not sure what to do.
Old 25 February 2013, 00:05   #6

Boat name: WB465
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 2013 ETEC 30
We had a 1981 MKIIIGR and the glue never "failed" in over 20 years of use. If this boat holds air and doesn't leak water, I'm sure it'll provide good use for you.

I do notice, though, that it looks like the black plastic edge pieces for the rear-most floorboard seem to be missing. I'm not sure how important that is.

I think that the MkII is a bit small for a jockey console. Personally, I'd use a tiller handle. You'd save some money that way, too.

I also think that you should not pay 2 grand. I'd aim for between $1000 and $1500, and shoot for the lower end if the parts I mentioned really are missing from the rear floorboard.

Are the pump and pressure gauge included? What about the paddles?

Grand Raids, if well cared for, provide decades of good use. This one has Zodiac's patented intercommunicating valves, which are great to have. They make inflating easier, and they contain an over-pressure relief system. They are the best valves out there, though they do need some lubrication and maintenance. These boats are the workhorses of the sea. Timeless beasts. If you look around here, you'll see some posts and pics of hypalon zodiacs from the 1970s in great shape without any significant repairs due to glue failure, and many if not all of those are not grand raids.
Old 25 February 2013, 00:09   #7

Boat name: WB465
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 2013 ETEC 30
If you are going to trailer it, why do you want a small SIB? Couldn't you get a conventional boat for crabbing/fishing for less money? You can't get a fishing hook into a conventional hard hull boat ...

Another thing to consider regarding the other boat option you mentioned: a MKIIIFutura is 14'9 if I'm not mistaken, and the MKIIGR is 13'6, so you don't get THAT much more space in the MKIIIFutura (Zodiac's MKIII line used to be 15'5...) but you would be paying a LOT more money for it. A MKIIGR will go very nicely with a 25-35hp engine. For the Futura, you might want a bit more power, mostly because they are wider and have more drag. (I could be wrong about this, as the Futura hull may help to reduce drag by lifting the boat out of the water).

Lastly, if you want to get a new inflatable, I'd check out the deals at Defender. You can get a new MKIIGR for between 5 and 6.5 grand. The lower price one may have some cosmetic blemishes in the fabric, but the boat has a full warranty. The higher price would not have these blemishes, but would be left over stock from a few years (still brand new, though). I just did this with a new 2011 Zodiac WB 465 and I have been perfectly pleased with the product and service from Defender. I'd easily buy another boat from them. At the very least, you could use these prices to negotiate with the vendor of this used MKIIGR. "I can get a new one with full warranty for 5G, while I don't know this one from Adam, it's seen hard military use, is over 10 years old, and is missing parts..."

http://www.defender.com/categoryBoat...286&id=1794321

http://www.defender.com/categoryBoat...570&id=1794282
Old 25 February 2013, 03:18   #8

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Projectile is giving some good advice. With any SIB under 17' , you will be far better off with a tiller setup than remote steering. You will have far better control of the boat, be better able to brace yourself in heavy seas and also have a lot more cargo space.

An 8 year old Grand Raid that has not been abused will have many, many more years ahead of it than a brand new PVC zodiac will ever have. I have 1977 Mark 1 that still holds air just fine. It has had many repairs over the years, but never on account of glue breaking down.

As for costs, you should have no trouble finding a suitable road worthy trailer for $600- $800, and a used 25-40 hp outboard for under 2500. Even if you paid the full asking price for the Mark II GR and added the cost of the trailer & outboard, you still come in at 1/3 of the cost of the MarkIII Futura AND you would have a much better built boat.
Old 25 February 2013, 09:50   #9

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Grand raid

My local diving clude started life about 20 years ago with a grand raid III. It was stored inside and is still in great condition

TSM