Old 21 March 2023, 13:16   #1

Town: Cotswolds
My first SIB

I have just purchased my first SIB, it's a 2014 Sea Search 390 with a 2012 Mariner 15HP complete with a launching trolley / road trailer. The boat and engine have been stored inside and have had very little use. Both look to be in great condition, the trailer tows ok but it is old, however, new hubs and bearing savers fitted are a bonus!

The primary use will be for some family fun on the water, (hopefully with a ringo!) we are based near Stroud but frequently holiday near Appledore in North Devon.

Currently planning our first outing, so if anyone could recommend any good places to explore or any helpful tips it would be appreciated.

Paul
Old 22 March 2023, 12:20   #2

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Paul, surprised you went for a SIB I thought you would have gone for a RIB.

Can't help with locations near to Stroud apart from the obvious ones such as Severn. North Devon, South Wales. They are all very tidal and maybe for a maiden voyage you could do with finding some calm, non tidal water to make your initial mistakes.
Old 22 March 2023, 13:33   #3

Hi Steve

A RIB would have been the preferred choice but the SIB will give us an inexpensive way onto the water to decide if it's something we wish to pursue as a family.

I'm thinking of Bristol docks for our first outing.
Old 24 March 2023, 21:58   #4

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Bristol docks ( a.k.a Bristol floating harbour) are a good place to try out a boat. There are two slipways- one near the Harbourmasters office, and the other at Bristol marina, near the S.S Great Britain.
Harbour masters slip is not so steep, but has less space to set up, and involves a right angle manoeuvre once launched.
Marina has plenty of set up space. Both have parking. Have a look on Bristol city council website for docks map and details. You need a navigation permit from h/masters office.
Prices are reasonable( I haven’t launched there this season, so prices will no doubt have gone up.)
Good, open water, usually fairly quiet, and access to River Avon up to Hanham lock. A few eateries close to the water( Brunel buttery, near S.S Great Britain, good for bacon butties/ chips etc, and you can moor for short stop on pontoon by it. ) Water is fairly deep throughout ( 5to 6 metres), but is non tidal.
Just be careful, as docks are within the new congestion zone, so older vehicles are subject to environmental charge.
Docks are subject to 5mph speed limit.
Toilet facilities in harbour masters yard, M shed, and Brunel buttery.( for customers- need to ask for key)
Old 25 March 2023, 07:47   #5

That’s great advice, thank you.
I’ll aim to try out launching from the slipway by the harbour masters office when the weather improves.
Old 26 March 2023, 11:33   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Fully agree a used SIB outfit is a great way of seeing if small craft boating is for you... and I mean small craft as in not a live aboard. You can have a bit of fun and if it doesn't suit the loss selling on to upgrade or give up is insignificant. Is the Mariner a 2 or 4 stroke?
Old 26 March 2023, 15:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Fully agree a used SIB outfit is a great way of seeing if small craft boating is for you... and I mean small craft as in not a live aboard. You can have a bit of fun and if it doesn't suit the loss selling on to upgrade or give up is insignificant. Is the Mariner a 2 or 4 stroke?
That was my thoughts, I did have a 17ft speedboat many years ago and know that wouldn’t be the right boat for the family. Hopefully we will have lots of fun on the SIB!

The mariner is a 4-stroke
Old 16 April 2023, 11:58   #8

Hi T6Paul. Did you manage to get out on the water, and if so how did you get on?
I’m hoping to get to the docks this week, subject to the weather, for my first run this season.
Old 16 April 2023, 12:50   #9

Hi, Yes, we got out 2 weeks ago, all went well, we launched from the harbour master slip.
Old 16 April 2023, 18:22   #10

Pleased it was successful. It’s always a good location for a run out.
Might see you there one day.!

Tags
sib