Old 30 June 2017, 18:03   #1

Town: Pewsey
Make: Honwave T32IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF6
My First Outing and What I Learned!

Finally got the new boat in the water today – hurrah! Not without its (little) dramas though but I learnt a lot. For the boat (and my) maiden voyage I launched at Devizes public slipway on to the Kennet & Avon canal, thinking that this would be a good way to learn about everything in a relatively unchallenging environment.

With the heavy weight of the Honwave T32 and the BF6 outboard (which had been worrying me a bit) I had planned my first trip to be 2 man but, with nobody available to join me, I decided to go solo and see how I got on. The advice I have had from various people on this forum (especially Mikefule and Fenlander) was invaluable for getting the kit in and out of the car – all about balance, leverage etc, rather that brute force. The transom wheels were an absolute godsend, as has been said, it really is like a giant wheelbarrow and reversing down the slip way a joy. It might sound daft but to see the boat finally floating on water for the first time was just great.

Now I was on the water but things did not go to plan – no matter what combination of choke, throttle, etc I could not get the damn motor to start. New motor, dead as a dodo and one knackered skipper after all the pulls! I recovered the boat and rang the dealer I bought it from and they were very helpful to be fair. Luckily I had chucked the little tool kit that came with the motor in the car at the last minute, thinking I would not need it but, you never know.

Thank goodness I did take it because I had to take out the spark plug which was very wet and black – apparently a sure sign that oil had got in to the cylinder, stopping it firing. I've no idea how that happened as I’ve been very careful to store it and transport it either vertical or lying on the correct side. I had no other tools so just tried cleaning the plug up with a cloth and a little spare petrol. I put it back in and after a couple of pulls away it went – hallelujah! I should add the we were back in the water by then.

So away I went down the canal. Next problem, and I'm sure a schoolboy error, but the steering tensioner was really tight and I could hardly steer the bloody thing. I was having to really push and pull the tiller which resulted in me basically zigzagging permanently! I should of course of checked it before I set off as no doubt it was set tight for transportation.

Next, with just me in the boat and obviously sitting on one tube, we were sitting a little deep on the starboard side which seemed to have the effect of me having to keep steering right to stay straight and I ended up with the boat kind of travelling forwards but at a slight angle if that makes sense.

I also had a right senior moment with the throttle. I’m used to motorbikes and the throttle goes the other way, it took me ages to get used to twisting the throttle away from me to accelerate – what a laugh, kangarooing along the Kennet & Avon, I’m sure to everyone's amusement!

So, what with the tight steering and my complete lack of throttle control (at first anyway) it was a bit of a spectacle! I also got a right old neck ache on the left side as I was obviously constantly looking forward with my head lined up with my left shoulder, which I’m not used to.

Anyway, I stayed out for about an hour and amazingly managed to guide the boat back on the slip to recover – my best moment of the day! All-in-all an eventful first voyage but, despite the ‘challenges’, I loved it! I learnt loads and now have complete confidence in being able to go out solo, which I did have some reservations about. Next stop, The Frome and Poole Harbour!

Just a quick question on flushing. Does anyone bother after a fresh water trip? I’m assuming it's not necessary but just wanted to check.
Old 30 June 2017, 18:21   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Great report, and great to see you've got over those initial nerves and been bitten by the bug It is a very special feeling to see your boat afloat and to get into it and cast away from the bank, whether it is on a canal or into the open sea. It becomes familiar, but it never palls. When you're on your own boat, you are lord of all you survey.

I wouldn't presume to diagnose the engine problem from your description of it. Point is, once you got it going, it worked for the rest of the trip, so it's a sound engine.

All the other mistakes, we've all made. After more than 20 years of SIBbing, I did an hour the other day without remembering to raise my transom wheels. It was all low speed stuff on the river, but there's no excuse!

You can adjust both the throttle/twist grip tension and the steering tension as you go. I tend to have the steering tension fairly low when there is a lot of manoeuvring to do, and fairly stiff when I'm just cruising.

As for the motorbike thing: yes. I am on my 9th motorbike and 5th outboard and I still make the same mistake from time to time. Some people say sit on the starboard tube and steer with your left hand, but it seems more natural to me to sit on the port tube and use my right hand - until I make the fatal error of thinking about which way to turn the throttle. Thinking is often the problem!

Really pleased you had such a good trip. Keep it up. This is is a great hobby. One day you will be chugging awestruck under the towering cliffs of Devon or Cornwall, or creeping nervously at low throttle into Fingal's Cave, or seeing if you can creep through the Thurlestone at high water, but for now, every trip is a new adventure. You will see wildlife and meet interesting people. You will find places to swim. You will anchor on a quiet side stream and read, or listen to the cricket. You will have the confidence to stand as you steer, and nod companionably to passing narrowboaters and see their uncertain reactions. You will get a quiet satisfaction from every thing having a place and you knowing where everything goes. Enjoy every trip.
Old 30 June 2017, 18:30   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Great first trip report... warts and all. There is always a shakedown period with any new outfit we have despite years of sibbing experience so when it's all new there are bound to be teething problems.

Can't think what was what re OB not starting initially. What I would do is take the plug out now and check it's oil free. A 4-stroke OB plug should look just like a car one... dry and sandy grey. If it looks fine now I'd not give it a second thought.

The OB steering tension is a personal thing... I have it almost totally free.

It's surprising how on a calm river you notice any small drift in the direction the boat goes. Out on the sea with wind, waves and current plus usually higher speeds all those things have more effect than a slight mistrack due to sitting one place or another.

>>>we were sitting a little deep on the starboard side... took me ages to get used to twisting the throttle away from me to accelerate.... neck ache on the left side as I was obviously constantly looking forward with my head lined up with my left shoulder...

Are you sitting on the left or right tube as you look forward?
Old 30 June 2017, 18:43   #4

Town: Pewsey
Make: Honwave T32IE
Engine: Honda BF6
I think I got my ports and starboards mixed up - typical landlubber!

I was on the left tube when looking forward.
Old 30 June 2017, 18:47   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I did wonder. There is sometimes "discussion" on here re the "right" side to sit... oops I mean the correct side. It usually falls about 60% in favour of sitting on the right tube but I fully agree with those who assert the right to be lefties!

However I can't get comfortable on the left tube for many reasons inc the way the throttle rotates. So have a try of the right tube next outing and see how you get on. Yes the neck twisting is an issue that my 61yr old neck can grumble about after a long day out. My only advice is to look about you all ways as you go so your neck is on the move more of the time.
Old 30 June 2017, 18:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojslokin View Post
I think I got my ports and starboards mixed up - typical landlubber!

I was on the left tube when looking forward.
That's where I usually sit, but it means the twistgrip is "wrong" compared to a bike.
Old 30 June 2017, 20:18   #7

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
You're both sitting on the wrong side!
Old 01 July 2017, 03:20   #8

Town: Chester
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Honda
Engine: Mariner 15hp 2T
On our T38 I have a home made seat of a scaffold board wrapped with carpet.cut to sit on top of the tubes and just inside the rope guides?

Using a 50cm tiller extension I can sit on the board. Facing forwards comfortabley. And almost centrally on the boat. Saves the issue of sitting sideways. Which got old after the first trip out!
Old 02 July 2017, 16:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
You're both sitting on the wrong side!
You're not wrong. I have been told to sit on the starboard side but port seems more natural. I'm funny like that - on those rare occasions when I go on a skateboard, I put my right foot forward.