Old 20 August 2015, 19:09   #1

Town: Harrogate
Boat name: Wild willy
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard 4stroke 6hp
Motor decision

Greetings, I'm in the throws of getting a Honwave T32 ie.
There are three areas I need help with.
Firstly is the pump, is there anything more 'economical' on the market which will do the job other than the bravo? I have mains voltage available so 12v isn't a necessity, in fact I don't have 12v available or a car.
Secondly the engine. I'm going to have to lug it down a set of stairs, round the corner ( with the aid of a trolley), and 50 meters across a beach, and set up on my own, hence I'm thinking a 6 hp Suzuki 4t. Also the thought of an integral tank is favourable.
Primarily this is just so I can lift the engine easily, & potter out in the bay on calm days. That said I might like to go a bit quicker than a potter.
Should I man up, get an 8/9hp and a tank? Or will 6 satisfy my need for adventure?
Lastly, other than it being pilfered, is it a necessity for me to have insurance in the waters of Ibiza does anyone know?

Thanks in advance
Old 20 August 2015, 20:33   #2

Town: evesham
Boat name: philipe
Make: zodiac
two stroke will be less weight. An internal tank will give little range so you'll probably need to carry a top up tank anyway. I use a Bravo pump, pure bliss, don't know of a mains option.
Old 20 August 2015, 21:45   #3

Town: Harrogate
Boat name: Wild willy
Make: Honwave
Engine: Outboard 4stroke 6hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNish View Post
two stroke will be less weight. An internal tank will give little range so you'll probably need to carry a top up tank anyway. I use a Bravo pump, pure bliss, don't know of a mains option.
I don't fancy a 2 stroke despite the weight advantage. Ive found a mains charger for the bravo pump so its a goer!

Thanks
Old 20 August 2015, 22:09   #4

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianrobbo View Post
I don't fancy a 2 stroke despite the weight advantage.

Thanks
So why ask for advice

You wont find a lot of love for 4 strokes on lightweight SIBS here on the forum.

The answer is very simple.

New Tohatsu 9.8hp 2 stroke from Alderney, only 26kg and pretty much the perfect transportable SIB engine.

More power ? Mercury/Mariner 15hp or Yamaha 15hp all 2 strokes and 36 to 37kg.
Old 20 August 2015, 23:18   #5

Town: evesham
Boat name: philipe
Make: zodiac
I use an old two stroke suzuki 8hp. I lift it in and out of my campervan, I'm fit and strong but sure as heck wouldn't want to carry it up and down stairs. Just as a suggestion, research the weights of the different motors you're considering, fill a sack with the same weights, go up and down stairs, see how they feel. remember to throw in some ankle tapping sharp edges for reality.Good luck with your project.
Old 20 August 2015, 23:34   #6

Big question is how fast do you want to go......?
If it's just a potter around then a 2.5hp 4 stroke Suzuki will push your Honwave around at pottering speeds.
Integral tank only though (1litre) will run for hours on a single fill.
Very light at 13kg so can be carried one handed.
Very frugal so not much fuel needed.
Once you go past 6hp in 4 stroke land it ain't going to be pleasurable man handling up and down stairs on your own.
In fact it's an injury / accident waiting to happen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1440113596655.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	108065  
Old 21 August 2015, 06:29   #7

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
I'm with landlockedpirate all the way, I had the 6 hp Suzuki 4 s, crazy heavy and a massive size motor for the hp, also had a 6 hp mariner same problem, the 9.8 tohatsu 2s is defo the way to go, also if you have not purchased the honwave yet although great sibs they are well made but very heavy, I had a 2.4 air floor and could barley lift it, now have a 3.1 zodiac and can carry it on my shoulder, if you want a nice single cylinder 2 s I have a 5 hp tohatsu for sale, but like me I'm sure it won't be long before you want a smooth 2 cylinder 9.8 upgrade
Old 21 August 2015, 17:20   #8

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I used to have a bigger heavier SIB which I used to take on scuba diving trips on the sea and sea lochs with a 3 hp engine. My longest day was 24 miles.

Bigger is better when you are using it, but when you also factor in portability and space, there is much to be said for a small engine.

In outboards as in motorcycling, the 2 stroke/4 stroke debate gets quite polarised. On the whole, the 2 stroke lobby is more vociferous. There are pros and cons to each.

I've owned three 2 strokes all of which were great to use, and my current engine is a 4 stroke. It's heavier, more expensive, but cleaner and quieter. I miss the smell of 2 stroke oil, but I don't miss the mixing. Also, any unused fuel can go in my lawnmower or motorbike because it isn't mixed with oil.
Old 21 August 2015, 18:47   #9

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
. Also, any unused fuel can go in my lawnmower or motorbike because it isn't mixed with oil.
Would this matter? What harm does the oil do?? I'm all diesel cars now but I always used already mixed post season fuel in my Focus and still do in my lawnmower.
Old 21 August 2015, 20:51   #10

Town: Huddersfield
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Yam 8hp Petrol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Would this matter? What harm does the oil do?? I'm all diesel cars now but I always used already mixed post season fuel in my Focus and still do in my lawnmower.
Probably none in the lawn mower.

But if the bike has a catalytic converter, it'll likely bugger it up pretty quick.
Old 21 August 2015, 21:32   #11

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
To be honest a small amount of premixed fuel in a larger tank is unlikely to make much difference. If the premix is a 2% mixture then it is only 98% petrol so there is less petrol to burn than the engine expects. However, if you tip a few spare litres into a 50 litre tank of petrol, it is further diluted. However, better safe than sorry. Getting rid of stale pre-mixed fuel was one of the mildly irritating aspects of owning a 2 stroke motor.

Either way, as I said, there are pros and cons. 2 stroke is lighter, cheaper, simpler, but noisier and dirtier.
Old 21 August 2015, 21:47   #12

Why not just mix the two stroke in the outboard tank as required whether it be in an an external or integral outboard tank.
I use a 4 stroke main and a 2 stroke auxiliary on my small sib.
I carry unleaded fuel only in my jerry cans.
That way I've got the option to add 2 stroke oil if I need to use my 2 stroke engine.
Once it's mixed you can't take the 2 stroke oil back out.
I carry a small measuring cap and 2 stroke oil in a small kids fruit shoot bottle - about 200ml with a pop up locking cap.
A quick squirt of 2 stroke oil as required does the trick.
Old 22 August 2015, 08:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
That wouldn't do the Focus Cat Convertor much good.

Lawnmower - TC3W is different to air cooled two stroke oil. Lawnmowers (air cooled) run MUCH hotter and you stand a serious chance if the TC3W not working at that high a temp. Likewise air cooled 2stroke oil doesn't work as well at low temps so running an OB on it risks damage.

Small quantities will be fine I expect. Large quantities which based on my strimmer having a 250ml tank is not really a lot will be more likely to coz problems.

If someone has found TC3W that also meets air cooled spec please shout up.
Old 22 August 2015, 08:36   #14

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
If I ever have any outboard 2-stroke fuel to dispose of I never put it in a car... just in case.

But I do use it in my 4-stroke lawnmower and hedgecutter mixed equally with new neat petrol so the 100:1 Mercury/Mariner mix becomes 200:1 which in two decades has never caused any issues. I do have 10l spare for the mower at the moment as I bought an outboard earlier this year with half a tank of fuel but there was no way I could ever trust what quality of 2-stroke oil was used or what its ratio was.

Further than that I'm no great believer in fuel going off over winter so as long as it's a mix I've made with Quicksilver oil I use it next season. However usually I only have half a tank or less left so before the first outing topping it up means the fuel is 50%+ fresh.
Old 22 August 2015, 09:30   #15

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
Loving this new mowernet 😀 I have a toro mulcher