Old 17 June 2022, 08:53   #1

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Length: 3m +
Memorable days out

Yesterday was only my second day on the water this season, delayed by contracting covid in the spring, and other issues in life which get in the way.
I decided to have a run out from Portland. Changing from a larger boat, to a 3 metre takacat with 6hp has meant a rethink of sea journeys, so a trip across to Lulworth, sailing under the arch at Durdle door were things of the past.
As we headed across the harbour, heading for Weymouth, our attention was drawn to some activity close to the north channel entrance. My mate thought it was jet skis, but as we got closer, I saw two e - foil boards being ridden, silently, and at some pace.
I then saw two adult dolphins, swimming with them. The foil boards stopped, and the dolphins continued to swim with them, around and under them.
It was then that I realised I’d left the gopro in the car, and that trying extract a mobile phone from its waterproof bag, whilst operating the tiller in a rush is futile.
I did manage a few( poor) shots, but the memory is there!
We spent 15 minutes just watching both the dolphins and e-foils, before heading out to sea.
A memorable day out, in almost perfect conditions, with a topped up tan, and a numb bum to prove it.
Note to self. Remember the gopro, stupid!
Old 17 June 2022, 19:25   #2

Tried to add pictures but failed miserably
Old 17 June 2022, 19:49   #3

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old seahorse View Post
Tried to add pictures but failed miserably
Then try again!

I do know exactly what you mean though.

Last year when Di and I was in New Quay we had 2 huge dolphins swim towards us leaping out of the water, one leapt over the bow of Redneck whilst the other swam underneath. It was amazing, but did I have the inclination or the time to take a video or picture, of course I didn't. But it's definitely one hell of a memory
Old 17 June 2022, 21:31   #4

I did have visions of one of them landing on us, but they were more inquisitive about the foil boarders. My mate says I should buy a foil board, but as I pointed out, I can’t even balance on a sup( visions of some geriatric idiot( me) being dragged across the bay at speed are a frightening prospect).
I have made several attempts to load a short clip, but it defeats me. Next time I see one of my granddaughters, she will look at me with disdain and complete the task in the blink of an eye!
Agh, the joys of getting older.
Old 17 June 2022, 21:52   #5

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
You said short clip. If it's a video you need to post it on a video hosting site first (such as YouTube) then post a link to your video.
Old 18 June 2022, 07:38   #6

Ok, that adds another layer of confusion for me. Definitely need help with this. May have to abandon attempts for this thread ( the shots aren’t worth waiting for, trust me). I will speak to my technical advisor( 17 yrs old).
Every day is a learning day!
Old 24 June 2022, 19:12   #7

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
I really want to see dolphins while sibbing. Why try to get your phone out of the waterproof bag? Mine is a bit fiddly but perfectly usable
Old 24 June 2022, 19:46   #8

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Yup..its a real pleasure seeing dolphins that are 4 meters long and you are in a wee boat 2.75m long.

Its easy photographing them if they come for a look at you..rather than you going for a look at them.

I didn’t take the photos ..my brother did. I am the one in the boat that the dolphins wanted to see.

This close you can smell their breath ...

Old 24 June 2022, 19:53   #9

Town: Lancaster
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Yup..its a real pleasure seeing dolphins that are 4 meters long and you are in a wee boat 2.75m long.

Its easy photographing them if they come for a look at you..rather than you going for a look at them.

I didn’t take the photos ..my brother did. I am the one in the boat that the dolphins wanted to see.

This close you can smell their breath ...

What a fantastic experience that must have been, you're a lucky man
I saw a great display from a pod last month...... from the car ferry to Skye.
Must be awesome from the sib
Old 24 June 2022, 20:01   #10

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
I am jealous you legend!
Old 24 June 2022, 20:09   #11

I must admit I haven’t tried to take a shot with the camera in the bag. I have a “ waterproof” everyday case, which I discovered, after a dunking( fell backwards off my sib!) was not actually waterproof, hence the belt and braces approach. That’s why I now have a gopro( which I left behind in the car). What can I say?
Love the pictures Donny, puts me to shame.
Old 24 June 2022, 20:23   #12

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Yes..it was a very memorable day. I often encounter dolphins but none have been so inquisitive as this lot. These are bottlenose dolphins and generally there are around half a dozen to a pod.

This mom even brought baby along to have a look at me.

I think this one fell in love with me as she would not leave me alone.

If there are lots in the pod, they are most likely common dolphin. Slightly smaller than the bottlenose with a distinctive white belly. They tend to hunt in packs and Im not too keen on being close to them. They often slap the bottom of the boat with their tails..same way they slap salmon to stun them then eat them ..so perhaps you would not be so keen in meeting them either.

Several years ago I came across a pod of around several hundred and they constantly breached (Jumped Clean out the water) It was truly amazing to see but I kept well clear of them.

I shouldnt put you to shame old seahorse..its taken me a lifetime to have such encounters and be able to photograph them.