Old 07 April 2014, 06:59   #1

Town: shrewsbury
Make: Honwave 3.2
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 2t 15hp
medway for sibbing

I hope to be visiting the medway area, then portsmouth area this easter to do a bit on my 3.2 honwave & 15 yamaha. ive got nearly two weeks off, so should get some in. anyone with tips, info, advice on these areas? any meets there or further west during april?
cheers!
Old 10 April 2014, 16:56   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffer View Post
I hope to be visiting the medway area, then portsmouth area this easter to do a bit on my 3.2 honwave & 15 yamaha. ive got nearly two weeks off, so should get some in. anyone with tips, info, advice on these areas? any meets there or further west during april? cheers!
Nice area to visit. Launching is best from Gillingham strand or Queenbrough. There is a 6 knot speed limit from Gillingham upriver and avoid the exclusion zone at Isle of grain LNG berths.

Places to explore: Stangate creek, Upnor, Rochester Castle and if you have time, run up to Allington for a scenic countryside trip. Chatham Dockyard is doing some good events over the Easter half term and well worth a visit with the kids.

Fuel is available at Chatham Maritime Marina and Medway bridge Marina.

And of course Id have to plug our tours abit. We operate every 2 hours from sun pier with commentated tours past the dockyard and out to the forts. Jetstreamtours.com

Have a good time in Medway! I might see you out on the water!
Old 10 April 2014, 17:32   #3

Town: Gillingham
Boat name: Harrys Game
Make: Avon WB 450
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha F50
Agree in most with the above post but my opinion is avoid Gillingham Strand for two reasons 1) gets absolutly packed in the good weather and parking is a nightmarish also the launch slip is very narrow "6 footish" and drops sharply at the end. Far better to go along the road 2 minutes and launch from Gillingham Pier (safely two and a half either side of high water). If the Pier Masters there you will get charged about £15 I think but the parking's good and you can throw a port lock if you want the senic route ie Dockyard , Upnor Castle and Rochester Castle. Or a Starboard lock if you want to go down towards the mouth ie Sheerness etc. As said above loads of creeks to visit quite a good variety of bird life and the occasional seal. Queenbrough is much nearer the mouth of the Medway nice launch slip that bends in the middle but once again I have found parking difficult. The Medway is reasonably sheltered except for North Easterly's but you can always find somewhere to shelter in the creeks. Enjoy and I am off to check out these tour guys as I have rellys coming down and that sounds like a nice little run out. Regards Jim
Old 10 April 2014, 18:35   #4

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
somewhere on the Medway there is a u boat highly visable, like to see that close up!!
Old 10 April 2014, 18:47   #5

Town: Gillingham
Boat name: Harrys Game
Make: Avon WB 450
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha F50
U boat (WW1) is somewhere around Stoke Marshes the Russian sub is tied up at Strood. Regards Jim
Old 12 April 2014, 15:55   #6

Town: shrewsbury
Make: Honwave 3.2
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 2t 15hp
Ta

Thanks for the info. Hopefully well get down there over Easter then onwards to Dorset, Poole bay etc. thanks for the advice lads!