Town: Portsmouth, UK
Boat name: Jelly Fish
Make: Quicksilver 3.8XSHD
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 25MEFI
MMSI: 235905473
Maiden voyage

Finally got the new boat and engine out on the water today

Firstly, I so need to pratice my reversing with the trailer!! With the boat on it I can see where it is going and can more or less get it to go where I want. With the boat off the trailer, I lose sight and by the time I get to see where it has gone to I have to pull forward and try again and again and again...... I suppose practice will eventually make perfect. Any suggestions to make the trailer more visible behind the truck (Navara)?

Once in the water, I successfully managed to graunch the skeg on the gravel bottom thought it was deeper than it was, so paint is on order.

First start of the engine took a good number of pulls to get the fuel through, but it finally burst in to life and sounded lovely.

Cast off and set off up langstone harbour at sub half throttle as per the running in schedule, but still the boat and engine felt really lively and wanting to take off.

The local RNLI rib shot past us at one point, no 10 knot limit for them!

Unfortunately, the wind got up rather a lot and caused a nasty chop, so we came back in after not quite an hour, rather damp, but with big grins.

Getting the trailer back to the boat again caused much gnashing of teeth, eventually I gave up and wheeled it down by hand then moved the truck down and reunited both! The boat easily slipped back onto the trailer, far easier than I thought it was going to be. Lashed it all down etc and drove back home.

Looking forward to getting the engine run in and being able to open up the throttle.

We both thoroughly enjoyed the first outing (me and my wife) and will weather willing, we intend to have another go tomorrow
Old 04 August 2008, 22:18   #2

Town: Sussex
Make: Ceasar Surfcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Cable tie or wedge a pole/caine stick to the rear of the trailer when its empty.

You'll be able to see where its going then.
Old 05 August 2008, 08:58   #3

Town: Portknockie
Boat name: Utopia 2
Make: Seapro 3.8
Length: 3m +
Engine: Parsun 15 hp
sounds the same as mine

Hi Geoffs.
Congrats
I had my maiden voyage too on Sunday 3rd, I gave up with the trailer and wheeled my sib in using the launch wheels I left my trailer parked up as near to the ramp as I could get it.
It came off the trailer onto its wheels and pushed it into the water, was a doddle,
Biggest problem was returning it to the trailer as the sand was wet15 yards before the ramp I couldnt get the wheels to move on the wet sand it just dug in after half hour of puffing and humping I got it onto the concrete pheeeeewwww hard work. Posting full story soon
Good fun isnt it ?
Practice will make us better lol
Regards
chunky
Old 05 August 2008, 12:08   #4

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
I would second Easyrider's advice. Put some kind of pole on the trailer that you can see while reversing. It may also be worth practicing your technique in a quiet car park to build up your confidence. The National Towing Association has some good advice at http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/driving/driving.htm

With regard to the engine starting, check if it needs some choke (if it has a manual choke) and that the fuel is properly primed (the bulb on the fuel line is hard).

Congratulations on the first voyage and I hope you have lots more enjoyment from your new boat!
Old 05 August 2008, 12:50   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Reversing a trailer takes time to master. You could try a few practice runs in a deserted carpark to get the feel of it. The secret is to straighten up before decending down a slipway. Some slipways are as tight as a gnat's chaff - so there's little room for error. If you find that one side is moving away from you, turn the steering wheel slightly in that direction and it will correct itself.

Another tip is to wear wetsuit boots. In all my time of launch and retievals, it's inevitable that you'll need to get wet in order to allign the boat on or off the trailer.

Happy boating!