Old 12 September 2007, 13:28   #1

Town: Bristol/Devon
Boat name: Nella
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 130
Looking for an SIB

Hi,

After reading lots on the forum, and missing getting on the water this holiday in South Devon, I've decided to get a small 'blow up' that will go in the boot.

I'm heading down to the boat show on the 22nd to see what is around. Looking to do a bit of Internet research before I do that, my current ideas centre around Bombard, Zodiac and Honda, with a 15-20 hp engine. I figure that the airdeck versions might be better as I have to lift it on my own. Can anyone recommend what else I should be looking at? and/or give any advice or experience they have had with particular models?

Look forward to hearing what is out there

Cheers
Al
Old 12 September 2007, 13:40   #2

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Hi, very pleased with my Bombard 380 airodeck & Yamie 15hp!
Great combo for me as I wanted something light that I could manage on my own, boat weighs 41kg & engine 36kg! Have seen 18 knots on GPS but have yet to have it on flat water so I recon 20 knots is possible, same speed as a Quicksilver 3.8 with a 25hp on it & about half the weight!
Took it with us over to Jersey last month had a great time with the family of 5 on it! I have as much fun on this as I do with my big boat, for a lot less money!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01602 (Medium).JPG
Views:	306
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	29965   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01482 (Medium) (2).JPG
Views:	340
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	29966  
Old 12 September 2007, 13:42   #3

Town: Canterbury
Boat name: Inflamous
Make: Ribcraft 5.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Ive had a 3.2m Zodiac futura fastroller before with a 15hp Yam - it went very well and was very light indeed. They do make even smaller ones too the cadet model starts at 22kg for the 2m boat.

I think Honda make some too - I seem to remember they had a good stand at the boatshow last year.
Old 12 September 2007, 14:06   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I have a Quicksilver 3.1m with a Suzuki 15hp 4 stroke and it's great. I would prefer a wood floor as it makes the boat a lot more rigid - I have have had 20mph 3 up and nearer 25 with just 1 on board. If you can stick the boat on a roofrack than a wood floor is the answer - if you HAVE to stick it in the boot each time than an air floor would save about 20mins.

If I was changing my outfit I would go for something a bit bigger - say a 3.5m or similar. Also I would much prefer a 2 stroke - they are far lighter - you can get a tohatsu 18hp that's a lot lighter than a 15hp 4 stroke. Also you can pack it any old way - even upside down - you have to be more careful with a 4 stroke.

Most essential thing of all - a set of proper swing up launching wheels - the big inflatable ones - you can then launch the boat all by yourself with no effort - they are great!!!
Old 12 September 2007, 14:29   #5

Hi Codders,

I too was thinking in the region of 3.5 -3.8 metres. How do you find the airdeck in yours in terms of stability at speed and slow speed manourving?

I have read that the ali decked models are good - but that seems to add a lot to the weight.

Having never bought new in this area - are there Boat Show deals to be had as packages?

I plan to use it mainly on the Salcombe and Dart estuary's - won't be many explorations out to sea just yet as Mrs Black will be holding a 5 month old baby!

Al
Old 12 September 2007, 14:37   #6

No I have the wood floor model - rated at 15hp - the airdeck is rated at 10hp. Wood floors are better and give you more depth inside the boat but they are harder to assemble.

If you have a normal car with roof rails you can easily lift a wood floor SIB onto the roof - much harder on a LR because it's so tall.

I bought my boat 2nd hand - had only been used 3 times and I had it 1/2 price!!!
Old 12 September 2007, 14:40   #7

If you want to keep cost down & only for the estuary then I would go for
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F156954
Or new
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/BHM606
Old 12 September 2007, 14:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
No I have the wood floor model - rated at 15hp - the airdeck is rated at 10hp. Wood floors are better and give you more depth inside the boat but they are harder to assemble.

If you have a normal car with roof rails you can easily lift a wood floor SIB onto the roof - much harder on a LR because it's so tall.

I bought my boat 2nd hand - had only been used 3 times and I had it 1/2 price!!!
No the air deck is the same at 15hp!
http://www.brunswickmarineemea.eu/products/single/2007$$$ENEN-$-BO$QSINF$AIRD$310AIRD_EA
Old 12 September 2007, 17:29   #9

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
You could do worse than to chat to Malthouse on here.
He is Mr Quicksilver
Old 12 September 2007, 18:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
No the air deck is the same at 15hp!
http://www.brunswickmarineemea.eu/products/single/2007$$$ENEN-$-BO$QSINF$AIRD$310AIRD_EA
Now it is but my handbook clearly states 10hp only - either they have beefed something up or just relaxed the restrictions.......
Old 12 September 2007, 19:04   #11

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks View Post
You could do worse than to chat to Malthouse on here.
He is Mr Quicksilver
Thank you, Mr Horizon.

*Malthouse dashes off to dispatch one crate of ale to S'ton*

Seriously, if I can help then I will.
Old 12 September 2007, 20:58   #12

Town: Dunedin
Boat name: Zebedee
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15 2 stroke
Zodiac Classic MkIIC/15hp 2 stroke

Hi,

When I got into SIBs last year, I was looking for something I could fit 2 adults and 3 children, get on the plane, and easily inflate/deflate carry and store.

The ease of use thing means airdeck. Yes, it wobbles a bit going over the chop, but on the plus side, is much more comfortable to sit on. I've heard too many people cursing their wooden floors when trying to fit them to go there. On the whole, I'm quite impressed with how the airdeck copes.

With this many people you need 3.8m; the Quicksilvers only go up to 3.4m, which wasn't big enough for me. After studying the Zodiac range, I settled on the Classic, since although the Futura performance is probably better, that boat weighs 70 kg as against 50kg for the Classic.

Oh, and I couldn't easily carry more than a 15hp 2 stroke. Get along to the boat show and lift some engines. You can stand still holding a 25hp, but could you manhandle it in and out of the shed/car/wherever?

All in all we have a lot of fun on Zebedee. (Even though it's so much less comfortable that the Ribcraft 4.8m we had before...and yes, we're in the process of saving up for a bigger RIB.) For what they are, though, SIBs like this are great.

cheers,
Simon

PS: To get planing with this load, I had to change the standard 9 inch pitch prop for a 8 inch.
Old 12 September 2007, 22:26   #13

The Tohatsu 18hp weighs the same as their 15hp!!!
Old 12 September 2007, 23:53   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
I own a Honwave 3.8m airdeck.
If your talking about putting the SIB "in the boot" ... when I went to pick up the Honwave - still in its box from Honda - I could neither get it in the boot of my car (BMW 3 series) - wouldn't fit.... nor could I single handedly get it onto the back seats...I needed assistance for that. Of course , once inflated, and then deflated again, it doesn't go back as small as it originally did!
Add into that an engine...I started with a 15hp Mariner and upped that to Yamaha 20d. The Mariner I could manage just about, by myself, The Yamaha I can barely manage by myself!
So... I think you need to be considerably downsizing the SIB to fit it and an engine in a family saloon boot (if thats what you have). Doesn't mean it would be any less fun, but I got a trailer pretty quickly as getting the boat in and out of the water speedily was more importnat to me than spending time inflating/deflating/rigging the thing...and unless I changed my car to something enormous, was the only way I could transport the boat!
Old 13 September 2007, 08:13   #15

I'm currently running an A3 Sportback, but I've got an A6 Estate on order for delivery in Mid October. I'm guessing a 3.5-3.8 boat and will get swallowed up by that boot?!

On the subject of engines, pretty much decided that it needs to be 2 stroke for the ease of storage and transporting. I've only ever run Yamaha 2 strokes before - are these Tohatsu engines ok? Or are the Yammy's still worth the premium?

Al
Old 13 September 2007, 08:16   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
The Tohatsu 18hp weighs the same as their 15hp!!!
Yes but if you are talking 2 stroke then it is 41kg my 15 is 36kg 5kg less & the 4 stroke tohatsu 15 & 18 is 52kg
Old 13 September 2007, 16:39   #17
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
I'm currently running an A3 Sportback, but I've got an A6 Estate on order for delivery in Mid October. I'm guessing a 3.5-3.8 boat and will get swallowed up by that boot?!

On the subject of engines, pretty much decided that it needs to be 2 stroke for the ease of storage and transporting. I've only ever run Yamaha 2 strokes before - are these Tohatsu engines ok? Or are the Yammy's still worth the premium?

Al

We managed to get Sixy's 3.4m Zodiac with a wooden floor, a 20hp engine and all the kit into a Rover 418 Saloon so an A6 will carry it all easily.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2007, 17:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Yes but if you are talking 2 stroke then it is 41kg my 15 is 36kg 5kg less & the 4 stroke tohatsu 15 & 18 is 52kg
Tohatsu's website quotes 37kgs for the 18hp - the same as the 15hp and the 9.9 - obviously the same block.

My suzuki 15hp 4 stroke weighs 47kgs so I could have more power for less weight!!!
Old 13 September 2007, 17:03   #19

Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Hi,

Our last boat, which we had for 4 years, was a Bombard Typhoon 380, with the ply floor, and a Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke.

It has a well defined inflatable keel, like the aerotech described above.

It's a well made boat, tough and good value for money, and very cheap to run. It would still plane with 4 adults, and was stable.

We regularly used it from being stored in the bag, and latterly got a bunk trailer for it, and were very pleased with the performance of the boat.

On one occassion, we did a 50 mile trip.

It might be worth a look.
Old 13 September 2007, 22:21   #20

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I had the honda 3.8 airdeck with a honda 20 . I chose it because the floor was the highest pressure and the deepest V . It was a great little boat but i wouldn't have wanted a baby in my arms in it in anything over an 18" chop , it felt safe but certainly bounced you about and both arms were needed to hang on .
The honda was I think the lightest 4 stroke 20 and a superb engine 47kg I think . If I bought another i would go for a 25hp 2 stroke because it hardly used any fuel anyway and it could have easily taken the extra power when loaded.
Best thing i ever bought for it was the Bravo Hi pressure pump with the pressure settingon the dial, the only way to get the floor to the right pressure 12psi !unless you have spare hour and big legs and its a must for deflating and storing in a car , well worth the money. although I ended up with it on a trailer as it was so much hassle packing it up every time .